Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    It's shades of his last Chelsea term where he and Hazard was at ends and the physio incident added to it and they got rid of him.

2. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Just checked PL stats--

Utd: Won - 17, Lost - 5, Draw - 5, Goals For -- 51, Goals Against - 19,
    Chelsea: Won - 16, Lost - 6, Draw - 5, Goals For -- 49, Goals Against - 23

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wow. It has nothing to do with watching Chelsea.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  5. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So after Chelsea, he is going to start a fight with United medical staff?[emoji35]

6. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
  7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is, good managers protect their players and staff in front of the media...and deal with any issues in house if there are any. They say stuff like "WE thought he was fit" in an effort to say it was a mistake but we will take that together.

Our manager refuses to take any blame for anything that goes wrong. He is a complete hypocrite, and picks and chooses which players\staff he will defend and which he will throw under the bus or worse openly embarrass (see Pogba and Shaw).

topnoevili and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    a better question is did you

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah this is often such bullshit as well.

For a start, in the heat of the moment one assumes that the injury is the same. Players can always get injured again.

Also - comeback from injury is always a risk assessment.

So lets say its 80/20

Sometimes you get bad luck

Karloski repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This board has become the official moan/bitch/whine thread, which really is getting old.

Mourinho way overstates his case that Herrera's injury is "proof that he was not 100 per cent fit." A hamstring pull can happen to any player at any time, even if he's "100 per cent fit". With a player has a muscle problem if the docs and the player himself says he's ready to go, how can manager know better than they?

The more relevant issue to be discussing today re Herrera isn't his hamstring pull, but this: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ixing-ander-herrera-la-liga-zaragoza-levante/

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reading this teaser of a post I expected to find new information, but none was to be found.

I object to Mourinho's handling of Pogba, which actually goes back to last season when he played him endlessly even to the point where Pogba, near the end of the season in clear exhaustion, just sat down on the pitch during play. Of all the mistakes by Mourinho this season, which (for me at least) began with his purchase of Lindelof instead of Laporte, the one that has stood out as most objectionable has been misuses of Pogba in a mid 2.

But it's not as though everything gone swimmingly and only Jose is responsible for the supposed disastrous mess that we're in (2nd in the league, through to the QF in the FA Cup and almost through to the QF in the CL).
    • Pogba was, if anyone recalls, out for much of the season with injury and when he came back he was felled by an outrageous red card.
    • Bailly has been out for most of the season.
    • Carrick has been out for most of the season.
    • Miki, after a promising start, failed to have a "monster season".
    I'm already past my word limit so I'll wrap this up quickly now, but there's no question that Mourinho has misused Pogba and that that misuse is a proximate, though not exclusive, cause of our problems in attack. Our forwards have also been guilty of missing on far too many clearcut chances and the transition from the back line to the second phase has been too labored. We're most effective in getting the best out of Lukaku on counterattacks, not in possession play. That's frustrating for you reprobates here as what we'd all like to see from United is the kind of play we're seeing from City -- incisive play in the last third on the back of lots of possession. I'd like to see that too but the real problem is that Lukaku isn't the kind of 9 who can scores goal from tight positions. He feeds off space to run into but the only way to create that space is on counterattacks, which means we have to yield possession in order to gain that space back on counterattacks.

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think we'll seat Sevilla 1-0 at home and get knocked out in the quarters, we'll win the FA Cup and finished 3rd/4th in the Prem. Is that good enough for Jose? Probable. But is it good enough for Manchester United? For the Mourinho apologists on here that is a great season, the end result is improving.

I was will to accept the dour play last year with the winning of the Europa being a positive result to the end of the season(sorry I don't count the League cup/Charity Shield friendly as both are a waste of time). But we need to be beyond accepting the current 2nd place and CL QF results as being enough. We need to show that on the field. This is not Mourinho's first season. He has a squad of quality attacking players but his is not using them properly. This is not moaning, this is wanting us to achieve our potential or as in some of Fergie's teams, over achieve. Right now we are under achieving to our abilities and that is the crux of the problem.

14. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Judging from the way we play on the field, I believe that Mourinho spends too much time in training working on shape. He needs to bring in a coach like Rene Meulensteen and allow said coach 30-45 minutes per training session with the first team to work on combining going forward, springing from defensive shape, and general creativity.

His polemic character in the media needs to be forgotten and overlooked by United fans. Any furor shown towards a manager that is willing to be controversial is hypocritical. We had Fergie for nearly three decades. Feather-ruffling is what we did.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Given where we were last season a realistic target for me for this season was to finish a comfortable 2nd/3rd in the EPL and get knocked out by a headline team in the CL. Not that fussed about the domestic cups.

Had accepted the fact that the champagne football would have to take a backseat to results for a while.

Up until a few weeks ago Mou was on target for that. However since Sanchez arrived he has totally mismanaged the team.

So for me is too early to judge, he either turns around our recent form in the league (or we will be out of the top four very soon) and gets us through the Sevilla tie or we will miss those targets.

Next few weeks and next few games given our oppo are huge for him and our season.

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think what all the Mou apologists fail to understand is that all we want is hope. We want to see progress in the way we play, so that even if things don't work out this season, or next, there is clear sign that the team is playing well and getting better. That we are competing with the best teams even when not getting the points. Sure, you'd still be disappointed with not beating all comers, but having a good cohesive team that creates chances, gives you the belief that things can get better.

Instead, what we have is despair. Over a long period of time (with the odd exception) this team has shown a brand of football that I can only describe as lost in chaos. It's not defensively sound, has no attacking structure, is slow and regardless of any players put into this team, they look around the pitch like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. There are gaps all over the field when we don't have the ball, and when we do...we have no options because there is no structured clever movement. LVG was boring, slow and turgid....but at least you could see a shitty possession based structure. It was shit, but hey at least the manager showed his input..even for the worse. I have no idea what Jose brings to this team tactically or structurally....I know for sure what he brings off the pitch and thats bad vibes and bullshit. It's 18 months in, and like FatherTed said we do have some very good players....yet it's a mess, and looks to be getting worse. Nobody is asking for a guaranteed league trophy...we just want to see a team we can enjoy watching, with the hope it's getting better and will compete for the best trophies in the future.

thenamestsam repped this.
  17. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the chances of Mou surviving the year correspond almost exactly with our chances of making the top-4, which are around 65-75% I'd say. If he makes top-4 I think he gets another year pretty much no matter what happens in the other competitions.

Even if we go out to Sevilla and don't win the FA cup I think a top-4 finish would see him keep his job assuming he still wants it (i.e. he doesn't force his way out by escalating the Pogba feud). The talent level of the squad he inherited wasn't near where it needed to be and the project of rebuilding that is still ongoing. We're still very thin in midfield in particular and lack top quality at the back. This summer will be about rectifying those weaknesses, and next season will be about Mou showing he can take the next step with a squad that should be (assuming we do more good business this summer) finally back close to where it needs to be.

If he fails the top 4 I don't think anything can save his job outside a miracle CL win (negligible odds at this point, we don't look good enough to fluke it even if we got the best possible draw). The one non-negotiable for him is to continue to deliver champion's league football. It's also hard to imagine a situation where our form continues to be bad enough for us to fall from the top-4 without us also flaming out in the other competitions (i.e. the combination of say losing the CL final while also not making top-4 seems very unlikely since we can't possibly make the CL final without our form improving to a point that should see us comfortably secure our top-4 place).

18. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Careful she's one the fans that has her head shoved so far up Mourihno ass that she defends everything he does

19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    What Mourinho said was, (paraphrased), Medical team passed him fit, but we gave him more protection. Herrara practiced and looked fully fit. Herrara played the first minutes at a rate that looked like he was fully fit. Then he got injured and apparently was not fully fit.

The headline implies that Mourinho is accusing the medical staff, when his statement is talking about the care that was taken with Herrara's injury.

Not really. I just think you all have gone so bonkers anti-Mourinho that you'll believe anything so long as it's negative.

It used to be that the fans were concerned about how well the medical staff was treating our players, now they doctors are all little darlings who might get their feelings hurt if Mourinho even mentions that they had a role to play into getting Herrara back onto the field. It used to be that Pogba had some responsibility for how well he played, now he's another little darling who can never be cosseted too much. It used to be that you all complained that Mourinho wouldn't play home grown players, well, McTominey starts against Sevilla and not a hint of approval.

We're in 2nd place in the PL, in the round of 16 in the CL, and still in the FA cup, but it doesn't matter a bit. Maybe all the other threads in this forum should be closed, because nothing else matters anymore apparently -- neither the players nor the games.

20. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    This Pogba business is the straw which broke the camel's back for me. I could forgive him for buying Sanchez and playing him in Martial's position, I could even see some logic in persisting with the double pivot until recently, but this Pogba situation is the end.

I'm firmly off the Jose bandwagon, and he needs to either buck up his ideas and get us back to playing some halfway decent football, or he needs to ******** off. It's not like we're asking for the earth here, he's assembled a squad with some pretty big players, and he needs to earn that pay packet he's getting. Wtf is he doing, seriously?? The worst thing is, I can't see how this doesn't end with us keeping both Pogba and Jose, and considering Jose went after him and got Woodie to spend the best part of £90m on him, and to then not even know how to play him, leaves me feeling that he seriously hasn't got a clue these days. Like, seriously, wtf?

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is a very interesting comment.

I tend to agree. Jose has always been somewhat of a process manager - focussed on specific tactical systems and finding lots of improvements all over the place.

Compared to some other managers, he doesn't seem that good at getting his team using space & movement and especially I think this is a big reason Mkhi didn't work out with him, as well as a longer list of attacking players

He tends to like very physically powerful players like Costa, Drogba etc who can lead a brute force attack

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jezes Lynne. It's not all black and white.

There is plenty of discussion on here about how Pogba etc can do better, I certainly believe he should be.

As for McT, do you really think he should have started over Pogba, in an away CL knockout game? To me, he hasn't shown much after observing him for a few games. I still don't know what his strengths are beyond being an extra body in midfield.

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    McTs strength is that the listens to Mou and does exactly as told, always.

Even when making a mistake, it will be trying to execute Mou's game plan. So, that's ok for mou.

omar_mufc and United 16 repped this.
  25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pops, there's a lot to unpack here but underneath it all is the very understandable frustration that Mourinho has done less with the tools at his disposal than has Guardiola. Sure, we concede Pep has more cash at his disposal than does Jose has a warchest too and nda his players play with vastly more style and he has a double-digit lead on us in the league.

These are valid criticisms.

But I would like there to be some recognition here that there have been player failures as well. Lukaku went on a long cold streak, missing a number of glorious chances. Jones and Smalling have been disappointing overall (recall Jones at Wembley and the Smalling dive, to name but a few ignominious performances). Sanchez has been a massive disappointment so far in his favored left position.

Let's stipulate for the sake of argument that ending second in the league, crashing out in the QF of the CL and winning the FA Cup actually constitutes a disastrous season. Fine. Based on what we know now, how much of the responsibility for that disastrous season would fall on the manager and how much on the players?

I'd say 60% on the manager and 40% on the players.

Mourinho
    Mourinho is responsible for bringing in Lindelof, which right now looks like a bad decision.
    Mourinho is responsible for keeping Fellaini, who's just not MUQ.
    Mourinho is responsible for misusing Pogba, although we should recall Pogba was out for a long spell with injury, which coincided with our decline after a fantastic start to the season.
    Mourinho may have wrecked Miki as a footballer, although the jury is out on whether Miki may have been overrated in the first place.
    Mourinho has misused Martial since the arrival of Sanchez, a player whose best days may already be behind him.

The Players
    Our keepers have been outstanding, De Gea being easily the best keeper on the planet in recent years and again this year.
    Our fullbacks have been very good, although lacking a bit offensively.
    Our CBs have been average, borderline poor (Bailly out injured most of the season), saved by outstanding keeping.
    Our central midfielders have been good, although hampered somewhat by injury (Pogba) and questionable management.
    Our wide attacking players have been average.
    Our strikers have been better than good, but not very good.

What I'd like BigSoccer posters to ask themselves, and answer as honestly as possible, is how great our players really are. How many of our players would make Citys or Chelsea's starting XI on a regular basis? De Gea for sure and Pogba in all likelihood. But once you get past that I seriously doubt Sanchez, Martial or Lukaku would be of interest to City or Chelsea as a starter. Certainly not Young, Lingard, Smalling, Jones or Valencia. Chelsea offloaded Matic.

In other words, our squad just isn't all that great. Good, yes. Perhaps very good, but if you're a Barcelona or Real supporter you look at United's squad and you're having a laugh. Jose isn't working with one of the great squads on the planet right now. Maybe that's his fault but that's the reality.