Confirmed: 2015 World Cup to be played on artificial surface

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by exref, Nov 26, 2014.

1. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. Maybe there is more than we know to Canada's WC bid: there is no water left to maintain grass pitches in the stadia because tar sands mining has used it all up.

McSkillz repped this.
  2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Three oceans, a quarter million kilometres of coastline and beyond that 20% of the world's fresh water. I think we're good.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just for you info: some certain users here dont take kindly to people telling the truth.

I say, keep it up! ;)

4. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The more I think about it the more I realize it's going to be an amazing tournament. If it's on grass, turf, dirt, slop, snow, whatever. The best teams find a way to win. No excuses.

Six months away!

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shortly before the draw it always feels like Im in a constant "Ill kill myself if Portugal doesnt win" mood. This time? Not so much. The only thing that keeps me somehow excited is the prospect of Germany playing Canada. That's why Germany getting drawn into group B is the only thing I care about for the moment. As for my plans for the drinking game: I decided to watch all the games possible and take a "Herrengedeck" everytime a player gets injured. Let the games begin!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Luckily Iceland didn't qualify or that could get expensive. And it would bankrupt you at a hockey game:
    Hockey at the O2 in Berlin: sausage 4 euros, sausage and beer 5 euros.
    Hockey at the Bell Centre in Montreal or ACC in Toronto: beer (no sausage) - $10.

Interesting article this month from the vice-chairman of the UEFA Medical Committee:

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/...he-same-on-football-turf-as-it-i-2472281.html

Would you conclude that there are more injuries on artificial turf than on natural grass?
    The results of all of the studies – the ones we carried out on elite football but also other studies on amateur and youth football as well as in other regions, such as America – are all entirely consistent: the total risk of injury is the same on football turf as it is on natural grass.

What about leg burn after tackles made on artificial turf? Do you agree that we would not see such injuries on natural grass?
    To our surprise, there was no difference there either. This was the most common injury in the seventies with the first artificial turf, which was basically a plastic carpet, but it is not the case today. In fact, we saw more instances of leg burn on natural grass. I think this is a myth which comes from the seventies, when artificial turf was first introduced.

What about the recovery time after injury? It seems to be longer on turf than on natural grass.

There again, there is no difference. All studies have reached the same conclusion.

What about the perception of some players who say that the game is different? Does it impact on the body?
    The reality is that artificial turf is not very popular among elite coaches and players. This is based on the bad experience in the early days of artificial turf, but there is no scientific substance behind it. The potential impact on the game has been included in different tests and there’s no difference. Perception is one thing and reality is another thing.

Does the surface have a different impact on male and female players?

No, it’s similar. We have studied this question and there are no differences. But it’s difficult because people have this cliché. I can see it in Sweden, for instance: each time a woman suffers a severe knee injury for instance, people start to blame the turf pitch, but it’s absolutely wrong, there’s no scientific evidence for this.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My evidence is Rebecca "Becks" Knaak getting injured in the U20 final. You can tell by tv her foot literally getting stuck in the surface causing an ankle injury wouldnt have happened with grass below. A real example. Not to forget about one famous goalie saying the turf in the final venue was as hard as concrete. ;)

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Another real example: I pulled my groin on a slippery wet grass field and couldn't play for eight months.

The same famous goalkeeper who tweeted today about her unplayable grass field?

9. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    What I've been saying for years, perception is the reality and the perception is Luton Town 1985. Thirty years have passed, technology has changed.

10. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    #10 Moaca, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    Mind reading and the ability to read between the lines on your posts isn't a strength of mine either. So let's get back on subject.

What's with the Canada hate/disgust? We did nothing wrong with that bid. It was open, there wasn't any hiding of the fact that it would be played on artificial turf. Teams played at our facilities, they knew what was there three years before and definitely a year and a half before the legal action. Many of the hypocrites in the action play on it.

We were awarded the WC fair and square and now people want to ruin it. If the Americans who are leading this action have a problem why don't they boycott. If this isn't going to be settled and people are going to bitch and protest during the WC, I'm all for chucking it right now.

Tell me, what we did wrong with that bid aside from saving FIFA's ass? What would FIFA have done if only a poor country without acceptable facilities bid. FIFA would have rejected it and went to Plan B. Obviously the Canada bid was acceptable. Are we supposed to change our bid at the last minute, spend millions, and inconvenience other stakeholders because of a whiny American ringleader. Don't think so.

Would you like it, if we said after you won a perfectly acceptable bid that we didn't think your country should be awarded it because of your "less than nice" (I'm being charitable here) history?

Same thing, it's bs to bar the door after the horse has bolted. If the bid wasn't acceptable it shouldn't have been awarded and until the players control that, it's FIFA's decision.

11. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I am amongst the people who definitely think that Football must be played on grass. But I am convinced, from the beginning, that this anti-artificial turf movement (only in the WC, but nowhere else) is hiding something. I don't know what, but I think it's not as "innocent and pure" as it looks. Even if the cause in itself is very respectable.

Romario'sgurl and law10 repped this.
  12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    How dare you be honest! That is against the rules, don't make me report you.

If you lived in a Northern climate and grew up with it you might be a bit softer towards it. Look what science did for ball technology :)

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    You make a very good point and considering how much time elapsed before the legal action, something is very fishy.

14. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Bring back the brown bladder! No more artificially enhanced soccer balls in the World Cup.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    what?

name the fish.

it seems a pretty straightforward attempt to get a better surface to play on. i'm sure canadian players would support it if the bid weren't canadian.

16. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I'd like to hear from Scandinavian folk. Am I correct in assuming there are a few FIFA 2 rated surfaces up there? You don't seem to hear much about it. What's the news up there, any articles/stories written about their playing conditions?

17. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    But it's not.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There is no secret agenda and this is not about being anti Canada. This is simply about whether u believe women players deserve the same fair shake as men or not. It's a black and white issue. Either u feel woman deserve as good as the men or u dont. And btw, that the bid to play on Turf was accepted by one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet isnt much of a moral high ground.

19. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    They do, the U20 Men's WC was played on artificial surfaces, if it was good enough for them it should be good enough for the women.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And that's a valid opinion. I believe that's FIFAs opinion as well.

21. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, because a youth tournament involving males ≥ the premier tournament involving females. No misogyny intended, men are just better. Amirite? ;) </Sepp Blatter based sarcasm>

blissett repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The problem is FIFA cant get past the words "premiere" and "women" in the same sentence.

blissett repped this.
  23. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Conversely, are you saying that women are better than young men?

24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #24 holden, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    I had written a super snarky response to this, but changed my mind. Here's my serious answer: As long as the men are treated better than the young men, then so too should the women be treated better than the young men. If you want to get into an argument about ageism, then that is a whole different topic and you should start a thread about that somewhere else.

25. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Ageism, sexism, still discrimination by any other name. And the use of the word "better" is something that can be discussed in another thread.