Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Len, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm counting seven for the potentially resuscitated MPSF: the three MWC schools plus Denver, Seattle, San Jose State and Houston Baptist

2. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    I did not see the release for HBU joining the MPSF, but now I do. thanks for the correction. Maybe they could go after Oral Roberts and form two divisions again.

3. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Of course the Pac-12 is a better conference for CSUB soccer, because the Pac-12 wanted them and the Big West didn't.

4. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and no. the Big West does want them for soccer. but not for anything else. same with the Pac-12 but unlike that league, we all know there is no way Bakersfield joins it for all sports. whereas the Big West is still the most natural fit for CSUB.

now with Pacific leaving the Big West maybe Bakersfield gets another look as a whole. but as long as their soccer team is somewhere else, i just can't see it happening...

5. FCBarcelona

FCBarcelona New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pacific AD Leland was quoted today saying their school would ADD Men's Soccer in 2015. They announced they are leaving the Big West, in all sports and joining the WCC.

Great to see a University add Men's Soccer. Now if we could get a school to add soccer that also has big time American Football.

Link

http://www.pacifictigers.com/landing/index

about minute 22:20 on WCC announcement video

6. CPslograd

CPslograd New Member

Mar 24, 2012

No, that is incorrect.
    It is a better conference for them because the Pac12 is higher profile than the Big West. It is a better conference for them because it will help them with recruiting and differentiates them from the other soccer schools in CA. It is a better conference for them because of the Pac12 Network, and it is a better conference for them because the UCSB soccer program is so high profile CSUB wouldn't be able to make a lot of noise, where they will in the Pac12.

You have some obvious dislike for CSUB that prevents you from being objective about this.

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    It wouldn't hurt Davis or Northridge to be travel partners. It would hurt the other schools that would not benefit because they are too far apart to be a single travel destination. Under the old travel plan, Davis flew to Northridge on game day, stayed the night, flew back the next day.

8. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Seems pretty simple. One team flies into SMF Tuesday night, plays at UC Davis Wednesday, flies back home Thursday morning, then takes a bus to Northridge on Saturday.

The other team takes a bus to Northridge on Wednesday, then flies up to SMF Friday night, plays UC Davis Saturday and flies or buses home Sunday morning.

9. Gaucho Bandsman

Sep 19, 2010
    And instead of being a relatively cheap bus trip, you're now looking at 20 or so airplane tickets. It would work, but what the Big West has going for it that every other western conference doesn't is that every conference road trip is a bus trip - it keeps costs down, meaning that money can be spent elsewhere (OOC road trips, facilities, scholly money, coaches, other sports, you name it).

On another note: the timing of UoP adding soccer is interesting to me. Leave a great soccer conference and add soccer while doing so? Was it a condition of switching conferences? Also, how will it affect their other sports in terms of Title IX implications? If they had made the decision a couple years ago, Sac State wouldn't have gotten a sniff at the BW associate member spot they begin next year.

10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I don't think we are doscussing the same thing about travel. Consider the UC Davis view of things, since last year they were the most isolated geographically from the others. Last year they made these in-conference road trips -
    10/5-Cal Poly (bus)
    10/15-Northridge (air)
    10/19-Irvine (air)
    10/26-UCSB (bus)
    11/5-Riverside (air)

This year they will make a short day trip to Sac State, a weekend bus trip to Cal Poly and UCSB, and one air trip weekend to either Irvine and Fullerton or Northridge and Riverside.

11. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe Oral Roberts stays in the Summit League for men's soccer?

12. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Another program becomes conference-orphaned as Georgia State moves to the Sun Belt in 2013. Normally, I would say their afterthought of a men's soccer program would be dropped, but they finally got good recently in the challenging CAA, and you'd think they'd want to keep the momentum, at least for a while. CUSA seems the most sensible destination (the A-Sun is probably the most geographically sensible, but they already have a lot of teams), depending on what happens with this proposed merger.

13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    What is the most compact existing conference geographically?

I have been speculating on what conferences would look like if they were formed on the basis of travel distance. For example, from a San Diego perspective, SDSU, USD, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Loyola-Marymount, and UCLA would be an all-bus league.

14. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GA State just announced they are moving to the Sun Belt which does not have men's soccer. GA State W will obviously compete in Sun Belt now, but what options will the M have? Stay in CAA? Move to A-Sun?

15. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    :(

In looking through the conferences, I see that Belmont is moving to the OVC, another no M Soccer conference, which I don't think was confirmed in this thread. Northern Kentucky is joining the ASUN as they leave, so they will retain 10 teams. I believe Kennesaw State is the only ASUN team without M Soccer, so they will be at 9, and adding Georgia State would make a nice neat 10. However, the ASUN has no affiliate members in any sports. And if the CUSA-MWC merger fails, CUSA will only have 6 teams left, so they be motivated to grab the Panthers.

And then what happens to Belmont's program?

EDIT I now see Belmont made this move last year, so sorry for the old news.

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Missouri Valley can use one of these teams. I think Oral Roberts would be a good fit.

18. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this involves soccer, maybe not - looks like the Western Athletic Conference could be no more. Utah State and San Jose State are poised to leave for the Mountain West, with UT-San Antonio and maybe Louisiana Tech going to Conference USA. And lest we forget, Texas State and UT-Arlington could be joining the Sun Belt. so is it bye bye, WAC?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/54013176-77/state-utah-conference-west.html.csp

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...4/texas-state-utarlington-to-sun-belt-in-2013

I don't know what this means for Cal Poly or UC Davis's dream of going to FBS play (and maybe having to relocate their soccer teams elsewhere), nor is it clear what happens with Bakersfield because they need to find a home. But I thought this was worth mentioning.

19. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Doubtful.

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNC-C has turned down an invitation from the Sun Belt to accept an anticipated invite from CUSA.

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly, I think Cal State Bakersfield will ultimately join the Big West when all is said and done. They need a home that makes sense to them geographically. the WAC is disintegrating so while they could get the call I cannot see it as a viable option for them (besides, do you really see Seattle staying?) the Big Sky only has Sac State as any sort of close member. No other conference is a better fit.

24. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
  25. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is, if the Detroit Titans will let them join; but I would really want to see this in all sports: http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/05/...ding_oaklandu.html?blockID=722610&feedID=3624

The article talks about an unfulfilled basketball contract. As I remember in some past year, one team had a player sitting out a year (transfer, I think) and was eligible to play in mid-December. Of course, the opponent wanted to play before that date, while his team wanted to play after that date. The game got cancelled, and it created a bit of bad blood between the two, and I don't think they played each other in basketball ever after that. Of course, us fans who want to see the two local mid's play each other, are the ones who really lose out.