Conference 06/07

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Peakite, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jakeyd93

jakeyd93 New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Nice to see a Conference thread. I go to see most of Halifax's Home games. I watched their FA Trophy campaign which ended at Kidderminster :(

2. Drench

Drench Red Card

Jul 28, 2006
    I didn't get to go to our home match against Aldershot today, I am rather ill, which is a crying shame, but we have finally made it after almost 15 years, we are there, it's a fantastic feeling, I can't wait for the next season to begin. I'll go out and celebrate properly when I am feeling better.

3. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Im a Grays Ath fan. Try and go to all games, only missed about 4 or 5 all season in all comps.

Good to see a Conf thread, it's so underated. Although I don't think it's been as good of a league as it was last year.

We're doing crap, hopefully pull it out the bag and stay up. Really don't fancy Conference South!!!

4. Drench

Drench Red Card

Jul 28, 2006
    It's an underrated league, but it's great because it has that proper football feel to it, I'll miss it when we move up to League two although I cannot imagine the change will be that noticable. The great thing for us is we have a good finanical bone which will mean we are going to be able to sign some decent players to help establish us as a League Two side.

As for missed matches, I missed two all season, the biggest one I had to ill for, I am so pissed off with that, I should have gone, I regret such an awful decision, according to my mate, there was a pitch invasion.

As for Grays, 3rd last season, 20th at the moment, I can see why you haven't enjoyed this season.

I hope you pull through. :)

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what sort of crowds do you think you'll get next season?

The league two average is 4000 and you'll need something like a 25% rise to get even half that. The potential for support is there, as there are enough people in the area, but it could be a case of attracting them before the money runs out.

Macclesfield had similar crowds when they went up, but they managed to double their crowds on the back of having a very good first season, when they got promoted again.

Personally I hope you survive and thrive - the lower divisions need more southern teams in my opinion.

6. Drench

Drench Red Card

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm not entirely sure, Dagenham and Redbridge is a club that is largely ignored in the area of Dagenham, most people pass the stadium without giving it a second thought, I know a lot of West Ham supporters in that area and of course lots of people gun for the bigger clubs like your Liverpool's, Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea's etc. The stadium was upgraded by Gary Hill about five years ago, the season we were pipped to the post by Boston *scumbags* United. So we have a stadium fit for League Two football. I'd like us to attract another thousand or so people to the ground, it would be great if we could fill our 6000 ground capacity, but I think that's a bit too ambitious.

4000 is an awful lot of people, the most fans we have had this season is about 2000, we average 1500 a match, so of course this will need to increase if we are to make enough revenue to survive in League Two, I would like to see us established in League Two, we have a young squad, with a few experienced players and we have the makings of something special. I think that's going to be a problem, attracting more people to the grounds, I'm not sure we can do it on a consistent basis, our promotion has no doubt raised the club's profile and reminded the people of Dagenham that we are the local team, but I'm not sure it will make much difference, that said I'm all for new supporters, It's a matter of getting them to buy season tickets and tickets at every home match.

That's good to know and I'd love that to happen to us, whether it will only time will tell, but like our chairman said and take this as defeatist or weak, we will enjoy professional football to the fullest, we will play each match as if it was our last, and if we get relegated then that's life, but the club will go on, we can learn from our mistakes and correct the mistakes and push on again, I'm not expecting much for next season, I'd love us to attract larger crowds and for us to stay up, but if we don't, I won't be too disheartened and if we gain another promotion, I think I'll die.

Thanks very much for your kind wishes, it's nice to see people wishing us congratulations, next season will be one big party, no matter what happens, we'll be behind our lads 100% of the way and I hope we can thrive in League Two and then go up, John Still has done a wonderful job as did Gary Hill when he was here.

7. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    I think you guys might struggle financially in the sense you're winning/won the league and only pull in around 1,500.

8. Drench

Drench Red Card

Jul 28, 2006
    Yeah we probably will, which will have dire consequences on our survival in the football league, but I am not writing us off just yet and who knows the amount of people who travel with us and come to home matches with us could double next season. We have £400k if I have read correctly, I'm not sure that will be enough to keep us afloat, but there's only way to find out....

9. TheMobyDick

TheMobyDick Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Fairfield,CT
    Mkae sure your fixtures are not the same day as hammers home games.You should then get a big boost in attendance.Plus the new to the league factor which will peak everyones interst.

10. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Always good to join a new forum and see a lively conference thread, the other forum I'm a member of it's pretty much me talking to myself. :p

I'm a York fan, season ticket holder and get to as many away as possible.

We're looking good for a playoff place (not by any means guaranteed it though) and I'm hoping that this (my 9th season as a season ticket holder) will be the first time I've seen us gain any promotion. :p

But yeah I'm gonna keep checking this place out, seems to be some good football discussion.

11. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Just back from a week away, three games (to follow tomorrow I think) and find several more folks around. Good to see everyone.

Good to see Dagenham going up. Actually one of only four Conference grounds I won't have visited this season (but did go to last season). And even better to see Aldershot losing this weekend too :).

Remember my trips to Grays last season, two great trips out (especially the second one), they always do seem to give a decent game and I'm happy to see more southern teams at this level (but not at our expense).

Two tough away games (they all are with ten points from 21 game :eek: ) at Burton and Forest Green, could go down to the final fixture at Stevenage (again, we've been there before, but did rather better the following season).

12. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    To be honest I think the Shaymen will stay up, judging by your fixtures, ours and Cambridge U's.

If we don't beat Crawley this weekend, it's going to be very tough for us. We've got Kiddy at home and then away to Morecambe at the end of the season. To be honest I think we'll be lucky to get more than 2 points from those games the way we have been playing.

But, the way we have been playing at home recently has been good. Well not good, but we've been grinding out results. But Kiddy will probably want to get a winning streak going for their cup final.

Morecambe is a funny one. End of season, they might want to rest a few players for the play-offs or they could trounce us to get a confidence boost.

Hopefully, Cambridge U join their rivals City in the Conny South!

13. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Went to Southport to see York win today, weren't at our best but who cares? Southport have been on a good run.

Gone above Exeter and Burton so both HAVE to win if we lose to Oxford on the last day, a point will guarantee us the playoffs. :cool:

14. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Back in the relegation zone now - really have to beat Crawley and if we do will move up five or six places. Not looked at the fixtures for next Saturday (we've got Stevenage) but I'd expect that one win will be enough (someone must surely lose next week).

Can't go to either of the games, Tuesday is too far after a day at work and on the final weekend I'm busy with work too (a school organised trip). Thankfully both at home, away form has been awful this season (11 points from 23 games :eek: ).

Was over at Forest Green today (another defeat), we didn't play well enough and failed to make too many chances and take any of them. A couple of glaring misses in there.

Must say that Forest Green really does impress me as a club, seems well run and have a new ground up a hill in rural Gloucestershire, nice day helped here too. It's not quite complete, but a good one for this level and the size of the team. Lots of youth sides too (who got a run out today) at a family orientated club. Also they have Jack Russell on the coaching staff. He was enjoying the day more than I did.

15. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    And Southport must now win at Exeter, so they'll probably be going down. It's tight at both ends of the table now.

16. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Went to see Oxford Utd beat Stafford Rangers 2-0 today. A fairly comfortable win which assures us of playing the 2nd leg of our play/off semi/final at home. Another good crowd of 7007 as well.

17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And two very small teams have now won promotion into the Conference, namely Histon and Droylsden. It will be interesting to see whether they can survive as a higher level. I used to live about 100 yards from Histon's ground at a time when they were in the Eastern Counties League, so I am particularly delighted to see their rise up the pyramid.

18. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And joining Droylsden and Histon from League 2 will by Torquay United and 1 of 4 other teams. Boston United are in the drop zone now, but Wrexham, Accrington Stanley, and Macclesfield Town could join the Gulls in their trip to the Conference. Doubtful that either Torquay or the other relegated team would come straight back up next year like Shrewsbury and Carlisle did recently. It seems like the League 2 relegationists will be in Conference National for several years. Recently dropped teams like Oxford United, Exeter City, and York City are fighting for a chance to go up via playoffs, but only 1 could do it (and possibly none). Halifax Town, Kidderminster, and Rushden have been there for at least two years, and Cambridge United is close to getting knocked into Conference South! Good luck to Histon and Droylsden next year, as well as Dag & Red and the playoff winner in League 2 for the 07-08 season.

19. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    With both Halifax and Grays winning tonight, it isn't good news for Southport and Tamworth fans. They're both relegated.

Northwich v Stevenage tomorrow night, but the final day of the season has Altrincham on 50 points with five sides on 52.

Obviously Altrincham must win to stand a chance, at home to Aldershot, but the others are:

Stafford -21 Forest Green (H)
    Cambridge -10 Tamworth (H)
    Halifax -8 Stevenage (H)
    Crawley 0 Kidderminster (H)
    Grays +2 Morecambe (A)

The three sides below us have all got what should be easier fixtures, the two above about the same, if not harder.

If Stevenage beat Northwich they can still qualify for the playoffs, although unlikely with Exeter hosting Southport and Burton hosting Rushden. Sevenage do need to make up a few goals there, so looks like the opening months will stop them from making it. But they do have the Trophy coming up to secure places for, the first professional teams to play at the new Wembley*.

Aldershot are beatable, although it'd be good to see John Grant do us a favour. He came within a few minutes of getting us promoted last season, now has the chance to keep us here.

Would expect Cambridge to be too strong for Tamworth, especially now they have very little to play for, and Stafford must have a good chance against a now safe Forest Green.

Morecambe should be tough for Grays, despite being virtually secure in the top five. Crawley have the other Trophy finalist.

Most of us would be happy with a few quick Aldershot goals I suspect, relieve a lot of tension.

*I'm tempted to go along to the following days final though, Truro City v AFC Totton in the Vase. Tickets are £10 or £15. Trip for the Trophy ended the moment Craig Mawson let the ball slip under him at Aggborough.

20. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Sadly I couldn't make the game yesterday, busy with work :(. Actually as far as work goes, it wasn't a bad day, but I'd rather have been watching Andy Campbell scoring his brace to keep us up with a 2-1 win.

Actually, with Altrincham failing to score against Aldershot, everyone on 52 points stayed up regardless of their result.

Looking forward to trips to Torquay and Histon already [​IMG]

21. Tvos

Tvos New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Caboolture,Qld,Aust
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good to see you stay up, have a soft spot for the Shaymen. Who do you fancy in the playoffs? Would like to see York or Morcambe come up, also wouldn't mind Exeter. You're welcome to keep Oxford though.

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    not conference, I know, but the was a remarkable crowd of nearly 6000 for the Unibond League title decider between AFC Telford and Burscough. I wonder when the league last had a crowd that high.

23. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I wouldn't mind seeing Morecambe go up, they've never been in the League and have been consistently up there for a while. It's also the most difficult ground for me to get to.

Exeter is the nicest day out, and I wouldn't mind seeing them not run out comfortable winners for once.

Morecambe probably the most likely winners, but it should be hard fought like last year, albeit with less entertaining games.

24. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Quite possibly only a few years ago. When a direct feeder to the Conference a few of the teams might have been able to draw similar crowds.

25. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Can see us (York) beating Morcambe, won there away and got beat at home with a reserve youngster in goal who's since been released.

Getting tickets for home and away legs tommorow then onto Wembley. :p

Have to say that if we go up I hope it's not Morcambe, might as well be a proper league club going back in.