Confederations Cup: Mexico vs New Zealand; June 21, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That terrible exit in CA was against the team that held Messi's Argentina to zero, right? and then won the whole thing. Just to offer some context here. 7-0 is horrendous, but would you be saying the same thing if we lost 2-0 or 3-1? Probably not, yet at the end still eliminated.

Ya saquense esa espina de los 7 goles, les esta robando mucha felicidad y vision.

/p

2. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Columbus was not a real test? You sound like a hater who selectively ignores good things and highlights outliers (in this case the sole one that was the Chile game). True, and agree, it has been his only tournament, but again, if we had lost to Chile 3-1, would you still be crucifying him?

/p

DankYummy, chris2787, Kaney and 3 others repped this.
  3. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Most crucial games in Osorio era, IMO, have been vs Honduras in Honduras in WCQs, vs Uruguay in CA2016, vs Venezuela in CA2016, vs Chile in CA2016, vs USA in WCQs (Columbus), vs USA in WCQs (Azteca), vs Portugal in CC2017, vs Russia in CC2017 and whomever we may face in the semis of the CC2017 if we manage to go through.

You lot are welcome to draw your own conclusions from these games.

DankYummy, Kaney, Phenom and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I mainly don't like that the midfield needs a lot of work, yet we rotate every player at that position and on top of that don't use any midfielders in a CC game (doesn't matter that it was against NZ).

Don't think I've ever seen a team that keeps this much possession of the ball without really scaring anyone.

DankYummy and Kaney repped this.
  5. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Is that you Osorio??

El_Huero, Colima24 and WhatStrangeLand repped this.
  6. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Jeez... you remember when the sky was falling?

7. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

OliverAtom and Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When Chepo had us almost not qualify for Brazil...

We drew to Jamaica at Azteca FFS. They hit the poast twice IIRC... We were fortunate not to lose to Jamaica at Azteca. more of the same with other hex opponents...

El_Huero and Sanchito repped this.
  9. Eila

Eila Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That's exactly right. If it were a normal manager and we had got outplayed and lost even 4-0 or so I would be able to move on. But he's still insisting on bizarre crap like rotating players and formations, playing with a center back as right back always, planning subs beforehand and not adapting to the actual match (!!). He's just bizarre and I'm done with him. I hope he makes me eat all of this and I'll gladly do it, but I think he will be a disaster come the world cup.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  10. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    I was with you man. Who care if we walk qualifying against team like Honduras or Costa Rica. Yes we have won, but when was the last time we won convincingly. It was same tone last year. The attitude was well we won. look what happened when we came upon a team who is actually better than us, no we didnt just lose, we got dismantled and beaten. Everyone said lets see if he changed, and here he is again doing the same thing. Why should we think otherwise? Yes Saturday will tell us everything we need to know, but now his stupid move cost us 1 CB possibly 2. @PARS you said what if we lost 2-1 against chile. If we had played convincingly or well and were simply outplayed or forced errors, its a different story. At the end of the day we lost 7-0. who cares if we walk to the WC. the point is to win the last game right? We arent performing like a TEAM that can contend for that last game. Individual talent will only go so far.

Hugo Sanchez repped this.
  11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Are you seriously blaming Osorio for the CB injuries? That's ridiculous.

El_Huero repped this.
  12. sizal9

sizal9 Member+

Mexico
    Aug 24, 2005
    Che GOAT

nopalnation repped this.
  13. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    Lol, pretending that you don't know who's being played out of position:rolleyes:. Salcedo is not a Rightback, Reyes is not a DM, Gio and Fabian are not central midfielders but go ahead and continue pretending that its all the players fault and never the coach's.

We had 4 centerbacks on the field (Reyes, Araujo, Alanis, and Salcedo), 2 wingers (Damm and Aquino), 2 center forwards (Oribe and Raul) and two free roaming attacking mids (Gio and Fabian). Where are the wingbacks and central midfielders?

It's always amazing how certain people can lie to themselves that its never the coach's fault for the team being disjointed and looking like shit because of it. Its clear that you're in willful denial about Osorio just like you were with Chepo. Osorio clearly wants big players on the field and its like an obsession that he cannot deny. That's why we keep seeing so many centerbacks and only one or no wingbacks on the field.

thedragonrik58, Puro_Sinaloa and JJV1994 repped this.
  14. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But like most TV personalities, if we had beat Chile, heck even if we had won the Centenario... but were struggling like in the last WCQ cycle, you know what you would be saying right now?

I can conclude from your posts that you would be saying something along the lines of "what good is winning a weird Copa America if we may miss the World Cup"... that's right, you don't have to admit it publicly at least have the integrity to not deny it.

I am not a rabid fan of Osorio, but going back to the cold hard facts, he has done well, better than anything in the last decade... if he were a club coach he is about 2/3rds down a season right? That is the time he had to get to know not 11 but a large number of players, yet he already sucks simply because he has experimented. So what is it then? He better be running the table and leading in scoring or he sucks? Give me a break. Not even Pep or Mourinho are held to those standards and they've had a higher quality talent pool to work with week in week out, not peppered here and there with airport teams and disjointed squads.

How exactly was his rotation blunders responsible for dislocating Salcedo's shoulder?

Like I said, I am not an Osorio defender, but you guys take it to extremes as if the guy is cashing a check meant for you. I do have one comment against him, no tiene laterales naturales, I hope this does not hurt us in the long run, this cup will have to be played as is.

/p

Sanchito repped this.
  15. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    I'm assuming that Osorio is an intelligent man. I wonder if he has some sort of mental disorder. He seems to enjoy self-sabotage.

16. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    #1341 iveman27, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    @PARS

Do you guys believe a that a team does not have to have a core or team chemistry?

17. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow

Some wise words coming from Lavolpe. I think the Picante crew should take his advice

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What does that have to do with the ridiculous assertion that Osorio is at fault for the injuries?

19. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
  20. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    #1345 iveman27, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

you keep bring up these what if scenarios, but I am not feeding into that. facts are we are winning you are correct. When I watch those games though, I can SEE these guys arent clicking, they dont have chemistry. They havent been able to establish trust in each other. Yes we have won against teams who are at our level. When these guy get pressure they will and have collapsed. I am stating that is based on a lack of trusting one another. Concacaf team are all going to changes and dont reflect an accurate representation of true competition. When we confront teams of higher caliber, I fear their flaws will be shown. Its not just rotating players, its rotating formations rotating roles, rotating positions. When are players supposed to establish chemistry? How do they build the trust and understanding of a guy next to him when he might not be in there in the next game? I get it hes experimenting, but when do you stop? Lack of communication and understanding leads to greater errors. Errors that can prove costly ie: getting scored on, or a player getting injured.

His past has given me any reason to believe he will have a new lineup and formation on Sat. IF he comes out with similar team as Portugal, then I would say fine I am wrong.

and just to be clear I am not saying you are defending him. I see a flaw, but people keep avoiding the topic.

21. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

producers would axe them in a millisecond and add Johnny Rico and @Don Boppero 3000 as the replacements.

22. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I do believe in team chemistry, I'm also aware that teams can develop complacency if a lineup is guaranteed for a core team.

Like I said, I can't defend player rotation for the sake of defending it, but I can't criticize it too much when the results don't validate rotation concerns.

/p

iveman27 repped this.
  23. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I suppose time will tell, results are on his side, I am not canonizing him, but I feel crucifying him is less warranted based on results.

Your assessment of the team not clicking is somewhat subjective and your very personal opinion, which I can respect. I don't see it as such, players interviews seem to show they are well gelled. We seem to move the ball well even against the few European opponents we've faced.

Peace

/p

iveman27 repped this.
  24. iveman27

iveman27 Member+

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    Club América
    Thank you for a great response and sharing your observation on how the team is working together. I've been wondering how others see the team chemistry on the field.

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Salcedo did not play as a right back, he played as a right Center Back in a three man back line against New Zealand. A position he has played before at Fiorentina and with Osorio. I'm guessing you weren't aware of this.

He's also played as RB for Fiorentina and the NT for almost a year now. Whether or not he excels there is a completely different argument but I know your optic is narrow so we won't get into that discussion.

Reyes has played as a 5 for America, Real Sociedad and Espanyol. Again, whether or not he excels there is a different argument altogether but you're approaching these debates with a binary point of view.

If you want to make the argument that Osorio may be hindering Reyes (as a 5) or Salcedo (as a RB) by playing them in less comfortable positions than where they function best, I would not disagree with you. But to present the arguments you did, in the manner that you just did simply shows we view the overall performance of the team differently. Because in my mind, I fully understand why Salcedo is playing as a RCB in a flat back four and Osorio has gone on record about this numerous times. Layun pushes up and the defense becomes a three man backline in transition. This is clear to anyone who has watched Mexico play a 4-3-3 over the past year. Reyes, I'm less sure about as a 5, especially with guys like Gio and Fabian next to him.

Seems like you missed a good portion of my posts over the last few days. Not to mention my criticism of Osorio after the US game at Azteca. I encourage you read those posts and then come back so we can discuss your inability to see beyond your own nose.

The wingbacks? That was Damm and Aquino.

Did you not watch the game? Did you not see Damm and Aquino defending near our 18 yard box when New Zealand push up? Did you not see Fabian and Gio push wide in those instances to cover the space left by Aquino and Damm?

It's obvious you did not read my other posts and I won't rehash those opinions but I will tell you this, the lineup and the tactical set up I was fine with. What I found troubling was the fact that Reyes was left by himself to cover too much ground and Gio and Fabian did not help in that regard.

Simply put, there was no midfield.

You'll have to remind me about Chepo because I frankly don't know what you are talking about. Seriously, it feels like you had to write an essay for school and had to word count turned on on Microsoft Word so you shoved as many half baked complaints into your essay as you could in order to meet the minimum word count.

Not sure what there is to be in denial about when it comes to Osorio. I like the way he works, have never denied it. I criticized him last year during the Jamaica game, during the Chile game. Just last week vs the US and made my thoughts rather clear about his tactics vs New Zealand after the game.

I also appreciate the fact that he recognizes Mexico's weaknesses and has worked to correct them. His goals against record speaks for itself. The amount of goals Mexico has received from set pieces has decreased. The amount of goals Mexico has scored from set pieces has increased. The share of goals scored has been spread out through multiple players, which means we are not simply relying on Chicharito to do work and save our bacon every game.

I see real improvements in the overall shape of the team. You may not see those improvements and that is okay, we can simply agree to disagree.

All you seem to do is disagree with everything just for the sake of disagreeing.

A poor man's Faitelson. Good on you, I guess.

It's a departure from what we saw under Chepo and Miguel Herrera. With the former, the fullbacks were tasked with creating width and look to combine with the wingers. With the latter, the wingbacks were tasked with providing that same width but instead looked to combine with the interiores as they moved into those spaces.

Osorio prefers the width to come from the wide forwards in the 4-3-3 and the wingbacks in the 3-4-3 (Aquino and Damm vs New Zealand). It's a different approach that is meant to exploit one of Mexico's strengths. I'm not entire sure why you have an issue with this, maybe if you did a better job of thinking your opinions through and providing arguments to support them, we'd be have a different discussion.

The bit about too many centerbacks is a bit less clear to me but I see the logic behind it even if I don't agree with it all the time. This approach has lead to a decrease in goals scored against in set plays and an increase in goals for, again, in set plays.

I mean, I seriously don't understand your gripe. It's clear Mexico does not have quality fullbacks at the moment.

We played with Layun and Aguilar as fullbacks vs Chile and got crushed.

All of a sudden it's a problem that the coach took measures to solidify the defense.

JJV1994, Kaney, iveman27 and 4 others repped this.