Confederate Flags At European Stadia.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SABuffalo786, Dec 3, 2003.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it is right or not, it isn't like the Confederate flag is the only former government flag flying. A lot will have Spanish or French flags (or whatever country's flag used to fly there.)

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen black guys in motorcycle clubs have the Confederate flag on their jackets/vests. Does that make them racist? I'm not saying it makes much sense, but the issue is a complex one. Pardon the pun, but the issue isn't as "black and white" as it's made out to be.

Nothing like hurling epithets at people in the name of tolerance. :rolleyes:

3. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. In 1991, Hussein had added some Koranic verses to the flag

[​IMG]

The new governing council is using the 1963 flag (which predated the Baathist coup).

[​IMG]

The Kurds are using their own flag also, hopefully alongside the Iraqi National Flag.

That said, with respect to the use of the Confederate Battleflag (1) it may have been a symbol of southern "nationhood" but it has been co-oped.

(2) In any event, the southern "casue" at heart was a rejection of democracy. For most of the time since independence, the US was controlled by southern politicians (look at the number of southern Secretaries of State and War). The first time a northern dominated administration came to power (and one which still offered a prominant position to a North Carolina Congressman as an olive branch) the south declared their rights in danger.

(3) And what were those rights? The tarriff? Rasing money for internal improvements like railroads and canals? Or Slavery.

(4) About State's Rights -- I am a federalist. Federalism notes that there are two soveriegnties in the US, states and the federal government, and both equal and supreme in their spheres. Dred Scott, the case that is today seen as the ultimate states right decision in actuality did the oppositie. Dread Scott made it illegal for the northern states to outlaw slavrery. So the federal power was used in support of slavery by a group of unelected judges, in opposition to the democratic will of the non-slave states.

Anyway, I still think that many non-Americans using the Battle Flag do not really know what it is and if they do, are using it to annoy their nice respectable parents.

4. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    There is a huge differerence between someone being a racist and someone flying a flag that to many represents racism. I would not fly a confederate flag. I think it has been co-opted and has come to represent racism. However, to many to represent rebellion against oppression and is a symbol of southern culture apart from racisim. One can debate the merits of this argument and frankly I would side with those who consider it a racist symbol. But calling everybody who flies the flag racist is almost as dumb and ignorant as actually being racist. By blindly making assumptions and stereotyping individuals ("dumb ass rednick hicks") in the name of fighting racism you endorse and use the same illogical persuasive thought process that racist use.

To often we employ the use of words like racists and sexist without there being a real basis for it. Just because there is a valid disagreement with a person and in your opinion the effects of the opposing side winning might have a negative effect on women, minorities, religious groups etc does not mean that the opposing viewpoint is racist, sexist etc.

Next time before calling someones racist or sexist (words that carry, or at least should, great stigma) question whether your basis for doing so has foundation or if you would be offended if someone called you racists without knowing you, your beliefs or your history and based their opinion of you on symbol which has conflicting and disputed meanings.

5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Back to the thread topic for a second, I believe a lot of Europeans also associate it with "southern" power (i.e., "The South Will Rise Again!") Hence OM (a southern team) and its unintended ironic use in South Africa by free black Africans.

6. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Hey, I see how a northerner could mistake a Confederate flag as a racist symbol. I know Latinos and Blacks who have it on thier cars and trucks. Everyone here has one. Its a symbol of pride that all people use in this area. Sure, you have some hippies and the like, but the vast majority of blacks I know do realize its usually not a racial thing. It was adopted by white supremecists to give thier movements credit, which really was taking advantage of southern pride. I live in backwoods Virginia, but have lived in other states in the South. I dont think any less of a person flying a Confederate flag. Its just not as racist as northerners try to make it seem. When KKK march in Northern parts(more than you would think. Ive seen or heard of big rallies in Iowa, and Whe I lived in Maine) they use Old Glory. I think its more that yanks have been often mislead by propaganda. I also think that slavery was wrong obviously, but the Civil War was justified from a purely political standpoint. The only thing that keeps me from bieng an all out supporter of the Confederacy is slavery.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct...

The Superbowl is awesome...but it's become a big day for corporate advertising...some people just watch it for the commercials (which is dumb); I watch it 'cause I'm a pure fan of American football.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no.

The war was about "states rights." It was about the power of the individual states. vs. the power of the federal, central gvt.

But the only "state right" that the South cared about was slavery. If you don't believe me, go to any decent research library in the US, and find the microfiche of southern newspapers from, say, October 1860 until April 1861, and read them. Especially interesting are the local papers in the small towns that were published once a week. If you do that, you won't have any doubt that the war was about slavery. That's the people speaking in their own words, not people with contemporary agendas interpreting things for you.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far as I know, all of these came about in the wake of Brown v. Board. Not exactly noble.