Conf. Finals - Leg 1: ATL vs RB:NY

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Nov 24, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Atlanta
    November 25 - 5:00 pm
    ESPN

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com Atlanta United page here.

Turkey, shopping, blah, blah, blah. We've been waiting two weeks for this so let's get it on!

When Game 1 of Atlanta's Eastern Conference Finals showdown with Red Bull's American franchise begins Sunday keep this in mind: It features teams that entered the post-season sporting 2 of the top 3 season records in MLS history! Say all you want about Atlanta's frustrations against the Bulls they still showcase one of the best teams the league has seen, so this series may indeed be worthy of all the hype. Now it's a matter of living up to said publicity. (ESPN and MLS certainly hope so.)

The Bulls won both regular season meetings, the first in Atlanta in a game where a single 5 minute span in the second half turned the game on its heels. The return fixture, however, was one of Atlanta's more frustrating performances that saw a shorthanded New York win comfortably 2-0. The games won't tell everything but they do suggest two main things: New York won't lack for confidence, and they also have the depth to adjust their attacking style and still match Atlanta. So the intrigue comes in how they'll approach this as a two legged fixture.

New York is built to attack high, to force opposing teams out wide, and to provide a dynamic attack that can either dump balls into MLS All-timer Bradley Wright-Phillips or use a myriad of midfielders to make cutting runs. It's very much like Atlanta's attack but BWP can play more roles and isn't as streaky as Josef Martinez. If their defense is on game, as it's been quite often this season, the New York attack can seem overwhelming because of all the different ways they can threaten. much of this is down to their very solid midfield that has seemingly gotten stronger after Chris Armas took over as head coach. Daniel Royer, Kaku, and Tyler Adams, especially, are all talented players with all-star talent but key role-players hustle and grit. They all excel at man-marking and can quickly pounce when a weaker opposing ball handler is coming forward. This could be critical when some of Atlanta's defenders, such as LGP or Larentowicz, try to dribble too far before passing.

For Atlanta the tale of the series against New York (Nee: Abu Dhabi) City was their intensity and the determination to stifle the City attack first and then worry about their own attack second. Now it's a matter of how that effort might translate into something for this series. That level of defensive hustle could prove beneficial but as the AJC article points out the key tomorrow likely lies in whether or not Atlanta can avoid silly mistakes. Most of their dropped points this season have come from giving up goals via turnovers or other weak unforced errors on defense, including 3 of the goals surrendered to RB:NY. They did this successfully against New York City, but can they do it for a 3rd and 4th game in a row?

Both teams enter the series healthy (pending which story about Larentowicz is true) and without immediate suspensions, so Sunday should feature normal A line ups. The questions for Atlanta will be at left back, which will presumably feature Greg Garza, and whether or not Villalba starts over a defensive option. If the NYC approach is in order then it will be a defensive option to set the tone and then introducing the likes of Tito or Barco to push the attack later in the match. Personally I'm anxious to see how Nagbe plays. He was on point versus NYC and has proven his worth as a ball-handler allowing Atlanta to settle when troubled and push the match forward when Remedi and others are covering defensively, but he ended the last match hobbling. If he can match that form it will go a long way to letting Atlanta play their match.

The other key will be similar to the NYC series - Atlanta needs to create more quality opportunities than RB:NY. The Bulls will get their chances and likely score in both games so Atlanta will need to improve on their single goal tally against New York for 2018. Martinez' hasn't been the most effective in their matches to date partly because Atlanta's service has been stifled and few other players have found their rhythm attacking the Bulls, so it will be intriguing to see of Coach Martino has comprised a strategy that will yield more and better shot opportunities this time around.

Lastly, can Atlanta rely on sentiment to carry the day? Almiron has played inspired in the 2 playoff games thus far, and certainly the home crowd will be anxious to make the most of these last few games with Tata and company. Is it possible the team has rallied around the idea of serendipity?

As of today I'm a believer. 2-1 Atlanta for the home game.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This home and away series is the MLS Cup IMHO. Time to get the monkey off our backs. HUP, FIVE STRIPES, HUP!

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I can't make today's match due to family commitments, but why is there no "Atlanta United Live!" pregame program. WTF?

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate that I had to physically miss the game but just saw recorded, and wow!!!!!

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Gorilla killers! Great win.

On this weekend, as I try to come up with new turkey leftover recipes, I thank God for that 3rd goal.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Upon reflecrion that was among the best performances I've seen from an Atlanta franchise ever. Considering the circumstances and the opponent, to execute that game plan the way they did was truly impressive. Yes, Lawrence's absence and other failings by RB:NY played a part but you could see Atlanta knew what they wanted to do and they went out and forced it on NY.

- This was about defense first and it paid off in limiting NY chances and keeping the game mostly in Atlanta's offensive third. They closed down attacking players with zeal, didn't panic or flail when defending, showed poise with the ball when building from the back and struck the right balance between patience and aggression when they had the ball. NY had 1 shot on goal last night and only 1 shot total through about 60 minutes. They shut down opportunities for the Bulls and that dictated the overall play.

- Conversely, Atlanta attacked aggressively and they took as many chances as they could. By my count there were 11 crosses into the box alone and you could tell by the shots from outside the box they wanted to keep the NY defense on their heels. Even when patiently controlling the ball at midfield (where NY surprisingly laid back) Atlanta showed above average movement to create passing options up front and that obviously effected NY's defensive marking. The Bulls' back 4 couldn't get upfield and often had their heads on swivels. If you're spending more energy defending you can't emphasize your attack.

- I thought Nagbe was immense (even if he made a bad choice on that 2nd half 3v2 break away), but Larentowicz and Escobar were the ones bossing the match for me. Jeff was amazing in his positioning and reads and Franco probably ran a full marathon last night. They were near flawless in stifling NY and allowing Atlanta to quickly turn on the attack. Escobar a deserved MOTM for me.

- Villalba - Hate not finding a way to get him in the starting XI but man what an option as a sub! When you can drop Martinez but replace him with someone arguably as fast but with more cutting moves...?!

- Don't feel NY can feel aggrieved about the VAR call that undid their goal. Still awaiting word why Atlanta wasn't awarded a penalty against Robles. But despite that and Stott's inconsistency I don't think the ref affected the outcome. NY played what they were gonna play regardless.

More thoughts later as they come back to me...

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic atmosphere at the Benz last night. And I really think we played our best all around match of the season. Sharp (for the most part) on defense and pretty clinical with our finishing. I won't lie, I cringed (as did much of the crowd) when they announced 8 minutes of added, as I desperately wanted a clean sheet. So to use that time to add another and still keep a clean sheet was absolutely beautiful.

Sheesh....even MARTA seemed to be on their game with trains quickly right after each other when the match was over.

Anyway, couldn't ask for a better 1st leg. Hopefully we seal the deal in Jersey on Thursday.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It would be sweet to get an early away goal on Thursday, meaning the Red Bulls would need to score 5 to advance. No way that would happen.

9. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Random thoughts and answers to questions above:
    1. Robles wasn't a penalty to me. He got ball and then got man. If Guzan had done that to a RB players, we would be arguing it wasn't a penalty. I prefer to give keepers some leeway as long as they get ball first.

2. Martinez started his career as a winger. So I would assume that means he can dribble and take men on. I wish he would do more of that, emulate Villalba, than always play with his back to goal. Villalba dropping deep to create space and then attacking that space opens up so much for the other runners.

3. Crowd was fantastic. To my expertly drunk eye, there were more butts in seats than any previous game. I'm not sure if they announced the attendance, as I was too focused on the game, but man was it loud and crazy. I hope we get to put on the MLS Cup because it will be a great show.

4. I can't believe NYRB didn't press. Yes they won in May by not pressing, but they dominated in September pressing the snot out of us. This is playoff soccer so away goals are king. Pressing hard would have helped their cause by at least creating chances to grab an away goal. NYRB didn't need to win, but they sure needed to score.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't disagree about Robles getting ball but the rules don't allow clearing out an opposing player in the process. In the field if a defender makes a sliding tackle like that it will often be called a foul. I'm okay either way so long as we're consistent, and last night Stott was anything but that, I feel.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I didn't even realize there was controversy on the Robles play. Looked like good goalkeeping to me.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my seats, near the opposite penalty box from where it happened, I thought it was a penalty. But my son, who was sitting with some of his teammates in the uppers near that goal, told me he thought it was a good no-call.

My main problem with Stott, as you hint, was the inconsistency with the cards. RB players made several tactical fouls, for which Stott correctly played advantage, but then he didn't follow up with a card. In contrast, I think the first time LGP made a tactical foul, the card came out.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    As long as Mark Geiger is not the man in the middle on Thursday we are alright. I think he is a good ref, but he makes United fans bat shit stupid. I spent the entire WC on FB having to listen to AU fans and friends micro analyzing every call in every match he participated in.

14. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assignments have been out for ages (11/13) for both legs of conference finals. Jair has leg 2. Sibiga probably doing Cup.

http://proreferees.com/2018/11/13/mls-assignments-2018-playoffs-conference-finals/

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the Robles non-call was a good one. At the time I thought it was a PK, but upon replay I agree with the refs.

There were several other stupidly bad calls during the game, though. I thought the whole first half that RBNY had mob enforcers holding Stott's family hostage or something. We couldn't draw a foul with pen and paper. Then one of our defenders shoved a RBNY attacker off the ball with both hands, and Stott swallowed the whistle. At that point, I thought, well at least he's consistently bad.

Mad props to the supporters' groups. The tifo was phenomenal, and seriously pumped up the crowd. I think the players fed off that energy. The crowd in general was into the game, and LOUD. Folks up in the sideline season ticket seats, usually restrained and laid back, were cheering every Atlanta touch and booing every Red Bull touch. Cursing Stott's legacy, etc. I left the game with my ears ringing and my throat sore, as did the two kids.

Also, bonus points to the supporters' groups: the sheets of foil served as makeshift umbrellas after the game.

In a playoff game, I like Villalba coming off the bench late. He was clearly way too much for RBNY to handle in terms of speed and skill after 60+ minutes of running. Given the short week, maybe start Villalba and Barco and bring Martinez and Almiron in off the bench (earlier than 60th minute, though)? If we score early, though, I'd love to see Carleton, Robinson, and/or Bello get some playoff minutes. And do we see Kratz or McCann start Thursday?

I think I'd like to see a full-court press for the first 15 minutes Thursday to see if we can steal a goal, then bunker/counter for the rest of the game with the speedsters up front. RBNY can certainly score three goals in a game, especially at home, and especially against a spread out attacking team with tired legs. They'll be leaning forward hard, so if we can take advantage and put one past Robles within the first 15-20 minutes, they're done.

VFish repped this.
  17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I like those tactics, come out and play to try and get that away goal, then shut down shop. I don't think this team can bunker for 90 minutes. Not sure about benching Martinez and Almiron (I am sure, don't do it).

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like Barco and Villalba coming off the bench, but in general wish Tata put them in a tad earlier. So many times over the season it's with less than 10 or even 5 to go. They're energy and fresh legs just when the other team is getting tired is a game changer and I also agree the difference in style from Josef to Tito forces the defenders to alter what they've been doing which is difficult right as your mind starts getting tired. I'd just like to see them start coming in around 65-70'ish.

In regards to Carleton and Bello, what are you drinking or smoking sir? They aren't even game day 18 when we are healthy. Not even close. With Garza going out injured and the team saying nothing about that, maybe Bello makes an 18 if McCann starts on Thursday. Carleton? LOL. Look, I like the kid and his hometown story too but you're dreaming with our squad.

Has Garza been training?

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I' d trust Bello to babysit my grand kids (which I don't have). He is good, that good. He needs more time on the pitch.

20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I don't want the kids out there with the game on the line. But if we're in a position where RBNY has to score 5, give them some playing time in a tough road environment in a playoff. Very different than a regular season game.

21. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree. I like Bello better than McCann, but it's obvious El Jefe does not. If it were up to me and Garza is out, I'd start Bello.

Are you saying you'd start him over a healthy Garza? I wouldn't. Garza was gimping really bad for a few minutes before they took him out.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am saying Tata should not change a thing. And then we should be all shopping for MLS Cup tickets.

23. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ship sailed mate! You don't have them already?

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nope. Year 1 my wife said buy season tickets, Me, being smarter than the average bear, said tickets will be easy to come by. Hell I could not drag friends to a Silverbacks game. Now it is the hottest ticket in town.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And I guess I get to see more games than a if I was a season ticket holder.