ConcaChampions vs Copa Libertadores What would you rather watch?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by B2TO, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If Mexico joined Conmebol no way Concacaf keeps 3.5 WC spots. And Canada would still have to compete with Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, El Salvador, And Guatemala

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's the big problem w/concacaf that has been repeated time and time again: the power of the caribbean federations. i dont think fifa would allow Mexico jumping to Conmebol. I think some of the smaller Conmebol countries would also veto it realizing that Mexico with its big market would probably be an immediate heavy weight in Conmebol boardroom/administrative discussions. Having said that, maybe US/Can should join forces in a drive to essentially give Mexico the most power, just to see how they would run Concacaf and if that would satisfy them.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I watch the CCL until it becomes all Mexican teams. Couldn't give a **** less about the Copa Lib.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do the same thing. I watched some of Toronto, Los Angeles, and Seattle in the 2011-2012 knockout rounds but I don't have enough interest in Mexican clubs to watch the CCL final or Mexican domestic games. I never watch Copa Libertadores.

5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You missed a great match last night. The atmosphere was 2nd to none. Tonight is the other semifinal match. You'd be cheating yourself if you don't check it out. 8pm ET on Fox Sports in Spanish.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is probably like CyberArce100, he stops paying attention to the Libertadores once Mexican teams are eliminated.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night I watched the Red Bulls at Vancouver game from Wednesday night on DVR. Today I'm off from work. I see Fox Deportes is replaying a Copa Libertadores Semifinal at 2:00 P.M. but the game was a scoreless draw. I don't have a big problem with scoreless draws but I don't want to watch a game that I have no rooting interest in and that I know was a scoreless draw before I have a chance to watch it.

Edit: If ceezmad is referring to me then he's wrong because I don't stop paying attention to the Copa Libertadores when the Mexican clubs are eliminated because I don't pay attention to it in the first place outside of the Club World Cup topic in the FIFA and Tournaments forum.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Boca Missed a lot of chances to put away the game in the first half, Riquelme was on with his passing but the Forward for Boca reminded me of Oduro for the FIRE with all those missed 1 v 1, The U D Chile had a few chances at the end of the game.

2. What I mean is that you with MLS in the CCL are to what some fans of the FMF are to the Libertadores. Only care about the tournament when teams from your league are on it, once they are eliminated then you and they stop caring, I think that is natural and I assume is the same for most fans.

Shit even the OP B2TO; I wonder how many more games of the Libertadores he watched after Cruz Azul was eliminated?

I am the same with playoffs; I really do not care about the MLS playoffs once the FIRE is eliminated.

9. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To win the tournament, a Mexican team now has to play 9 games instead of 11-13. They're basically cutting out a couple of games against Deportivo Burrito and Philip's Bakery FC from UNCAF and CFU but keeping the big draws (although no more MLS-FMF games in the group stage).

Also, with 8 group winners instead of runners up, CONCACAF can rig the second-round draw pretty much however they want (ie. creating a 2011 type situation with the 4 Mexican teams in one bracket).

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The final is two legs, so the part I underlined should read "10 games instead of 12-14."
    2. CONCACAF announced that the eight group winners will be ranked from 1 to 8 based on group stage performance with the Quarterfinals being 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, and 4 vs. 5.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

So you stop watching the CCL when it reaches it most exciting and highest level of football......yeah that makes sense.

:D

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Haha yep, pretty much. It's the same for me with the USOC, as soon as it's all MLS, I'm not interested anymore. The David v. Goliath (ie Mexico v. anyone) dynamic is what makes tournaments like these two interesting. When it turns into a Primera showcase, it's just dull to me.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if I only cared about how good the clubs were, I wouldn't ever watch MLS on days when elite UEFA leagues played but I do watch MLS then.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also happens in libertadores with Mexican fans, as soon as the Last Mexican team is eliminated many stop watching, it is natural.

Those that did missed a good final between Boca and Corinthians.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I always watch the final at least

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not say all, just look at the traffic for the Libertadores thread in the Mexico forum, it drops after the last Mexican team is eliminated (same with CCL in the MLS forums at the end) I bet is similar in the Asian Champions and to some degree the Champions league, I mean many Italians and Spaniards were probably not that interested in the CL final, at least not as interested as if an Italian or Spanish team were playing.

Not sure if a say Saprissa vs. Olympia CCL final would get high ratings in the USA, Canada or Mexico; even if they were the best two teams in the CCL.

In the Concacaf champions league facebook page the Central American traffic also drops when teams from central America are eliminated. Like I said is a natural nationalistic reaction, some of us don’t care and will continue to watch, shit my 2 teams have never played in the CCL and I watch all the time.