CONCACAF's worst team

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Vince Massi, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    According to FIFA, the distinction goes to Anguilla, a self-governing British territory that is located uh, uhm, uh, southeast of the US and north of South America. Its 13,500 people live on 35 square miles of islands.

Anguilla has played 26 different nations, with a winning record against one and a "draw" record against two.
    However, they have reached the World Cup finals four times, an impressive feat for such a tiny nation. They have never reached the World Cup itself.

FIFA and CONCACAF have begun a joint project to improve soccer in the Caribbean, and Anguilla is participating. Going over their records (2 wins, 3 draws, 38 losses) I do not find anything worse that a 6-0 loss--no major massacres here.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does what I underlined mean? CONCACAF has enough small islands that I don't think it's important to name one of them as the worst. 40 percent of the CONCACAF countries are in the bottom 25 percent of the FIFA Rankings.

3. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    I know, Evan. you're right. But I admire their attitude. A team that bad, from a country that small, reached the World Cup finals four times. I admire their attitude.

4. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you mean, reached the World Cup finals? Anguilla has never come close to reaching the World Cup finals.

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Anguillas worst lost according to wikipedia was 0-14 against Guyana. Not sure if that was in wcq's. I do remember them losing 0-12 against El Salvador for the 2010 wcq

6. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Ah, but they did. Four times, as a matter of fact. From Wikipedia:

2002 World Cup qualification
    Anguilla entered World Cup qualification for the first time for the 2002 FIFA World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

In the Caribbean zone, Anguilla were put in a play-off against the Bahamas and hosted the first leg on 5 March 2000, losing 3-1 at Webster Park in The Valley in front of 3,000 people. In the second leg on 19 March, Anguilla lost 2-1 to the Bahamas at Thomas Robinson Stadium in Nassau with an attendance of 330. They therefore lost 5-2 on aggregate.

2006 World Cup qualification
    In a play-off for the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, Anguilla faced the Dominican Republic and held them to an away 0-0 draw at the Estadio Olímpico Juan Pablo Duarte in Santo Domingo, on 19 March 2004. However the second leg was held at the same stadium two days later and the Dominican Republic won 6-0.

2010 World Cup qualification
    During qualification of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, Anguilla was drawn against El Salvador in a play-off. On 6 February 2008 they lost 12-0 at the Estadio Cuscatlán in San Salvador, where striker Rudis Corrales scored five times and Ronald Cerritos three. Anguilla's home leg was held at the RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. in the United States on 26 March. In front of 22,670 Anguilla lost 4-0, thus El Salvador won 16-0 on aggregate.

2014 World Cup qualification
    In a play-off for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, Anguilla were again drawn to play the Dominican Republic in a play-off, as they had eight years previously. On 8 July 2011 they lost 2-0 at the Estadio Panamericano in San Cristobal, and two days later lost at the same stadium 4-0, to send the Dominican Republic through 6-0 on aggregate, the same margin as the previous encounter.

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The 2014 World Cup finals had 32 teams.

Vince Massi repped this.
  8. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Ouch! Sorry. I was referring to the final play-offs. Man, this game is complicated.

9. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    The new rankings are about to come out, but you'll be happy to know that for July 2014, Anguilla is better than two teams.

I realize that this is not a matter of great concern to many people, but I admire Anguilla's attitude.