CONCACAF U20 Championship: USA v. Honduras, 3/5/17

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 4, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the moment a LEGEND was born

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This makes no sense to me. What player is playing at a level at or above the 2nd division in Holland? Before the loan Zelalem was leader and top performer on his team in u23 PL... the same league that locks Fossey and Lennon play(ed). Is the u19 Bundesliga that much better than PL2?

What system doesn't he fit? If you are going to play a dedicated dmid with limited attacking skills, a deep lying playmaker like Zelalem seems ideal. He also isn't feeding the ball to guys like Lennon, DLT, Williamson, etc but Akale, Perez, and hopefully Pulisic. Zelalem is significantly better than he was two years ago. People talk about how he has stalled, but it is more of a case that he hasn't progressed as quickly as (impatient) people wanted. Not breaking through at Arsenal doesn't define failure. Not getting minutes on loan where a team is winning and trying to secure promotion isn't some telling bit of info either.

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I agree Zelalem makes the WC roster, probably over Williamson. Whether he starts, I think, will depend on how well he meshes with the players around him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Well that is how it is supposed to work for all players, but... you think they give him a starting spot as an 18 yo (and didn't means well), but not as a 20 yo with significant additional meaningful experience? We also don't have a Hyndman type player that is an outlet to maintain possession. I'd guess Zelalem takes that role. I'd take EPB/Zelalem/Pulisic or EPB/Adams/Zelalem over any combo without him.

5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I agree, I'm just trying to predict what Tab will do. He may want to lean towards a defensive formula and it's doubtful Zelalem would play a significant role in that, IMO.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he is a failure but one has to come to terms with what is good for this team, and right now, it looks to be high pressing the opponent, something Zelalem is not good at. He needs to hold his own defensively.

7. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think McKinnie and Zelalem above Adams would work just fine....

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Three man midfield, Palmer-Brown in front of the two Schalke CM's. I think that would work best.

Zelalem has frankly just been passed by some others to start.

To make the team, thats a different story. I think he's iffy to make the team, but certainly has a good chance. If Keaton Parks hadn't been punished by his Portuguese club or if Lindley or Yueill figured to see playing time this season, I'd consider them instead of Zelalem. If Derrick Jones is playing regularly in MLS this season, doing well and he's eligible, I might pick him over Zelalem.

And then, Palmer-Brown, McKennie, Williamson and Adams might be the best four before the others who haven't gotten much of a chance this cycle are even included.

Zelalem certainly should have competition to make the team.

9. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williamson wont make it over Zelalem....you can book that. Technically...they arent even close. I think people are bagging on Zelalem right now but the kid played pretty darn well in the last U-20.....

10. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another note, Rosenblatt told me that EPB's positioning, and distribution were extremely poor this tournament

His positioning was fantastic, his distribution left some to be desired but man, i just dont see how hes coming up with this crap

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Williamson is considered a leader within the team. I personally would not pick Williamson and Adams over Zelalem because that athletic disruptive CM role might be redundant, especially considering you already have EPB, but I really don't think he's a lock. I'd say like 70% chance he makes the team at this point, but I'd have probably around 15 players with a higher chance to make the team than him. I think his stock has dropped, and I don't agree with you about his play at the last U-20 WC.

12. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he and Emo were the clear best players on that team outside of our CBs....I honestly think he would work very well with this team. This isn't your typical US side where we long ball in down the wings. The kids have some technical ability and have some solid control. That lends its side to Zelalems game

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #413 bshredder, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    I think Zelalem makes it on the roster. Tab is familiar with him and he likes him.

But as a starting XI option, he's a solution for a problem the U.S. team does not have at the moment. He's not a creative #10 right now that specializes in that final pass (which this U-20 team needs) and he's not really a great defensive force out there in the midfield either (which this U-20 team has and cannot give up in the midfield because it's is its bedrock).

I've been saying this quite a bit but my understanding is that Tab really likes Taitague. I can see him getting a lot of minutes in South Korea as a 10. But then in central and defensive midfield you most likely have EPB and Adams. Consider that McKennie could be a real option out there too. All of a sudden you are running out of space in that area of the field.

The point is that it's tough to see a tactical formation where Zelalem fits in both with this team's strengths it can't give up and it's weaknesses it needs to fill.

This does NOT mean Tab won't try to force Gedion into the starting XI. He very well might but that could be a mistake. As would changing the team's shape entirely to fit what works for Gedion - he's good but is he that good?

And I agree with @ussoccer97531 - I didn't think Zelalem was that great at the 2015 U-20 WC. I thought he was talented but I also thought he got in the way of things. He and Hyndman lacked a lot of chemistry. I also thought Arriola and Payne were very good players for that 2015 team

butters59 repped this.
  14. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really think you try to put EPB at CB for this tournament. The options in the midfield are outstanding and its going to be needed to get your best players on the field together....

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    High pressing the opponent is what worked best with this roster. It may be with the WC roster but no way to tell.

He's not horrible defensively. If he was, it would be apparent in his PL2 games, where he played acceptable defense but more of reading passing lanes to intercept passes and reacting quickly to turnovers to recover the ball. If EPB plays as a dmid, Zelalem's defensive responsibilities are reduced significantly to point that he more covers them.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #416 bshredder, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    But to your point of Zelalem in the starting XI. I still think it's tricy. If EPB shifts to the backline, he plays with CCV and then that leaves Fossey and either Borges/Acosta to start at LB.

There are good midfielders on this team, but can Adams handle to sole d-mid responsibilities? I don't think so (remember how the U.S. game struggled when EPB was taken out vs. El Salvador). If Adams could handle the sole d-mid responsibilities, there is a good path towards getting Zelalem a spot. Then you go with a 4-1-4-1 with Zelalem in the attacking 4 and paired with someone more creative - like Taitague.

That 4-1-4-1 was the formation of the 2015 U-20 team with Delgado playing out of position at d-mid. He's a good player but not as a d-mid and he was eaten alive. That was a good team but there is a reason why Steffen saved their butts despite having very good central defenders. The d-mid presence was non existent and I strongly believe Tab should have started Kellyn Acosta in that d-mid role and had someone else like Requejo at LB. But that's besides the point.

In 2017 Klinsmann had very little hard work to do in goal - because that defensive midfield and central defense was a perfect shield.

Tab is almost surely going to continue on with a 4-3-3 that resembles a 4-2-3-1 at the WC. I think he'll probably see that is the formula with this group as it was in qualifying.

So let's say you have Adams in the 2 and have EPB in the backline. Who plays with Adams? Zelalem doesn't have the defensive chops (and Adams is a step down defensively from EPB to begin with). That's a risk. McKennie? Maybe but defensively that is a huge step down from EPB. Maybe Acosta but he's underwhelming. And remember, Klinsmann is not as good as Steffen to bail them out. That along mandates a lot of defensive chops in the midfield.

But then if it is Adams and Acosta/Mckennie in the 2. Where does Zelalem play? Does Zelalem then play as the quasi 10 in the 4-2-3-1? He could, but that's not his game.

17. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------Wright------------
    Lennon--Taitague--Perez
    -----Mckinnnie-Adams-----
    ???---EPB---Glad----Fossey

thats a pretty solid squad

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Acosta at LB against African/North European teams?

No, thanks.

19. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think we stuggled a bit when he went out because there was no midfield left.....it was basically a 4 man attacking front (DLT, Sabbi, Craft, Lennon), 4 defensive guys, with Adams as the one guy trying to control the midfield

20. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i also think that those 3 up the center have developed knowledge for eachother and we should use that to our advantage

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fossey also did a lot of work in central midfield.

Actually, the Hondurans were meticulously targetting our builders in midfield: Glad, Williamson, EPB & Fossey.

I don't think that was random.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Ariolla was easily the best non defender.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought Rubio Rubin was the best non-defender or keeper.

LouisZ repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Was pretty good as well. I'd give Arriola B+, Rubin B, Hyndman C+, and Zelalem C-
    Doesn't mean anything anyway. I'd have given Acosta D- and look where he is now.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, good thing for Williamson technical ability is not all that matters. Athleticism, work-rate, heart, killer balls, and fit matters. And Eryk looked like he had Zelalem beat in all those departments. Zelalem is more a fit for tiki-taka, which is not what the U.S. is geared to play. He's a tweener 8-10 in their style. Doesn't defend well enough for an 8, doesn't create well enough for a 10, and generally doesn't play fast enough. Williamson is versatile.