CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    USA team needs now fresh legs in there to push for equalizer which in turn will open them for counter. Intersting what Cuellar will do in 2nd half. Will he take out Martinez for second DMF or go all in with another speedy player sub.

2. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    foul on goalkeeper...

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, in the end, I guess most people, after group stage, was predicting an USA-Canada final, and Mexico and Haiti battling for the last spot. And probably most were seeing Canada as the Champion and Haiti as the lone loser.

Instead, in an unexpected run of events, we had all predictions quite reversed :). Final standings:
    1 - Mexico
    2 - USA
    3 - Haiti
    4 - Canada

Who could say to have predicted that? :barefoot:

4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Vamos Mexico and Haiti!

blissett repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations to Haiti. It is a shame their star striker does not get much playing time with Montpellier actually.

blissett repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    give a little credit to the US, since several of Mexican players as well as their coach were born there! Defender Miriam Garcia gets awarded best player of the tournament. kinda of an odd choice since she nearly got an red in this game. I would of given MVP to their GK, Emily Avecado(since she won two PK shut outs in a row). Coach Chris gets redemption for his dad, Leonardo Cuellar(who was severely criticized previously as the senior head coach)

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And welcome back on board, @Romario'sgurl! :geek:

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, give a little credit to Mexico too, since of course these players were of Mexican descent and they chose to play for their country of origin.
    Or is it a case of: when USA win, they win, when USA don't win... it's as if they've won anyway? :giggle:

Emily Alvarado, you mean? When will you spell a name right? :rolleyes:

Well, it was a coach assignment, not a reign made to last lifelong and to never be criticized. In my opinion they did well when they fired Leonardo Cuellar, and anyway he obviously sees Mexican women's football as his property, since, if he couldn't make it a lasting reign, he anyway made sure that it became a familiar dinasty.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ost: 36274356, member: 193219"]

Well, it was a coach assignment, not a reign made to last lifelong and to never be criticized. In my opinion they did well when they fired Leonardo Cuellar, and anyway he obviously sees Mexican women's football as his property, since, if he couldn't make it a lasting reign, he anyway made sure that it became a familiar dinasty.[/QUOTE]

don't think Leonardo got fired, he took over Club America's head coaching job(CA is by far the richest pro club in Mexico), so hence, a better paying job & handed the reigns of both youth & senior NT development to his son, Chris.

But if Leonardo did get fired, and that's in line with their men's NT who fired their best coach ever, the one known as El Piojo!(fired after beating up a reporter). But then took over as, you guess it, the CA head coach, which probably was a way bigger paying job than the NT

10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly I didn't see that coming. I thought Haiti had some real talent, but wow.

blissett repped this.
  11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

957765200551100416 is not a valid tweet id

blissett repped this.
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nice try! Not sure how much Zack knows, but I think he's WWC_Movement's buddy over at youtube, lol

they don't got an update but here was Mexico's squad for the 2016 u20 WC.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_women's_national_under-20_football_team

at least 9 players either born or with a heavy American influence & it also shows several Mexican based ones played college ball as well like at the U of Monterey.

Sure, having a full time league will help the Mexican girls become better. But the quality(16 teams), the low pay(a few hundred $ a month on average) the younger age set, makes me wonder if in the long run is the right thing to do?

American college soccer(& perhaps Mexican college) is far from perfect, For one, then don't play FIFA soccer(obviously with the unlimited sub rule). The season's are ridiculous small(from Aug to Oct/Nov). They actually have their first competitive game in the first week of settling down in their dorms. They spend the rest of the off season usually bulking up on the weight machines, But what college ball gives in return is an college education. With bachelor's degree, most females are going to be earning way more money then unfortunately most pro clubs pay(or at least if your not a superstar), I;ve also read stories like Germany's excellent Tabea Kemme doing part time work as a police officer/security guard to supplement due to the low pay she gets at a top club like Turbine Potsdam. And what happens when a pro career is over with? I've hear many stories even major players going back to college or still working on a bachelors/masters/docterate well into their 30's.

another note; before the tourney; Canada's Herdman said his country's youth soccer system was "perfect' which was pushing several teens into the senior level, then back into the youth NT's, plus bringing several players from the Euro prototype, the pro men's club, Vancouver Whitecaps youth academy. But Canada proved to be the biggest flop at concacaf

13. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    CONCACAF's website has the best XI of the tournament.

Only two Haitian players in it (Mondésir and 15 yo Dumonay), but, had I been in the panel, I would have also considered DF #13 Rosianne Jean. Ok, I only watched Haiti play the third-place game but, as I said earlier in this thread, in that match Jean was absolutely outstanding, when at least three deciding defensive actions in Haitian box.
    Mondésir was a no-brainer, with her goals and her awesome through-pass assist in the third-place match. Jeudy had looked good also, in that match: I wonder what her performance was in the group games.

Also, it is confirmed that the Canada-Haiti 4-0 match at group stage was meaningless, since, with qualification already in hand, "[head coach] Collat [had] made nine changes to his side in the final group stage encounter, including resting star Nerilia Mondesir".

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jeudy only scored one goal in the tourney & that was vs Canada in the 3rd place game.

Interesting fact; the Haiti seniors(of which I'm sure several of their u20 squad are) for their main training camp. come over every year to Indiana, where local college coaches assist them in their training

two of the four Mexicans chosen on the best X1

Emily Alvarado(GK) born & raised in El Paso, played for the local select club, Texas Rush. Currently plays for Texas Christian University

Jimena Lopez.. played high school ball at Saint Stephens Episcopal, an exclusive private school in Austin. TX/ Plays currently for Texas A&M University

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, El Paso in anyway on the border, isn't it? ;) El Paso, USA, by one side of Rio Bravo and Ciudad Juarez by the oher side, Mexico.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's more info on Emily which shows while growing up she played for the US Developmental Youth Academy(highest caliber of youth soccer) arm of the Texas Rush in Houston(which is over 600 miles away from El Paso. That's a team that plays year round select soccer(the stint with also the Mexican NT would obviously be part time)
    http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/emily_alvarado_1035069.html

btw, have you ever been at an US/Mexico border passing? This is the one in El Paso. It took me once over 2 hours to get across the busier San Diego/Tijuana area
    mexico2usbordercross.jpg