CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Dec 3, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that were true, it should be a RC. But watch again. When the ball hits her arm, it is headed away from the goal (because of the GK's save). Also fyi, "arms not spread" is an indication of whether or not to call handling at all, not whether or not to give a card.

Personally I'm 50/50 on whether its even a PK. I can see both ways, and I guess at this level, I'm going to have to lean towards giving a PK. But I don't see a YC or RC here. The reason its not RC is because its not DOGSO. The goalkeeper makes a save so the ball is redirected away from the goal. The only way to have a DOGSO-H is if its directly preventing a goal by handling (think "hand of God" type play); there's no way this qualifies. If the ball had hit another part of the defender's body, the way she was running in she could have redirected the ball into the goal, but she didn't prevent a goal by handling because the ball had already been redirected away from the goal. Simple as that.

Maybe the referee didn't see the save by the goalkeeper and thought the save was by the defender. I don't know. But I do expect more from a referee of this caliber. The referee is Melissa Borjas; she refereed in the WWC in 2015. BTW, she is probably communicating with her AR; they have a communication/mic system.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yeah I didn't watch replay - goalie save makes this obvious. No card and very arguable PK. You've said it, it's 50/50 on that PK call. If I would lean toward, it would be only on general rule (encouraged by FIFA) that favors an attacking side.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree that some AR's need improvement. There were multiple phantom offside calls in the US game as well.

4. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Group B :
    Uruguay 3-1 Bolivia
    Chile 0-1 Venezuela

Group B
    Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
    [​IMG] Brazil (A) 3 3 0 0 8 0 +8 9
    2 [​IMG] Venezuela (A) 4 2 1 1 3 3 0 7
    3 [​IMG] Chile (E) 3 1 0 2 5 4 +1 3
    4 [​IMG] Uruguay (E) 3 1 0 2 3 5 −2 3
    5 [​IMG] Bolivia (E) 3 0 1 2 2 9 −7 1

Final Round 25.01 : Brazil, Venezuela, Paraguay and Colombia

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, wrong thread? :cautious:

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what's the point of continuing this charade, can we please just switch the name of this threat to the Jordyn Huitema show?

scoring from her chest is just out of this world!(first goal)

another eerily thing is Canada has player named Riviere(#20) with the very unusual first name of Jayde Yuk Fun(#20)

now freeze frame to the 6.28 in this vid & guess who makes an appearance on Nicaragua's squad?

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Donald trump ?

8. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I think it was my inconscious, but how nice would be a joint qualifying between Concacaf and Conmebol ! :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hat trick for Flynn

3-0 Canada over Haiti after 45 minutes

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    USA v Haiti and Canada v Mexico on Friday 26 Jan
    Third place play-off and final on Sunday 28 Jan

Three teams will qualify for the World Cup.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Any remote hope for Haiti? Asking to those who have seen them play.

14. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remote? Yeah, they're actually a pretty good team. Haiti earned their spot in the top 4, no doubt about it. But I still think they'll be the odd man out.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So I assume you predict a Canada-USA final and Mexico anyway out of Haiti's reach?

16. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I predict Canada will win (though I hope it's USA!) with USA 2nd and Mexico 3rd. Rather bland or predictable, but that's where the teams stand without an upset. Now it did look like a lot of the teams not normally in the top 3 such as Haiti and Nicaragua were playing with much better technique and tactics than I've seen in years past. If they could just be 90 minutes fit it might be a different story.

blissett repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Semifinal 1 - livestream

18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Semifinal 2 - livestream

19. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was ugly.

20. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Indeed
    Good for USA not one Haitian had a clue on how to take a PK
    Finishing anyone?
    Lucky the first save deflected straight back to Howell or there would have been yet another "Howeller" to lament. (sorry I know that was bad but couldn't resist).

21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Canada 1 - 1 Mexico (pk's 3:4)
    Best match so far in this tourney. Ovalle's clearly MVP - she created for her mates up front all tourney long and today she also kept Huitema at bay.
    Mexicans matched Canadians in physical and outplayed them on tactics, technical and stamina aspects. Scoreline don't do El Tri justice as they could've win it by 3 or 4 goals difference.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    didn't watch this but despite 3 impressive wins in the group stage, I thought Canada's weakness was they went straight up the middle. Even their RBs turned in wards & would prefer taking opposing mids 1v1 instead of kicking it back to the outside. That probably played right to the Mexicans as their style(especially their men's NT's) love playing in tight quarters by staking up the midfield.

Lechus7 repped this.
  23. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Canada tried few variants yesterday. Middle route nor wing play didn't bear any fruits though. Huitema was playing on right wing with Flynn in the middle then they switched and switched again with more subs comming. All to no use. Mexico applied high pressure and had fuel enough to sustain it for long periods of play. On top of that they were equal on strength and physical challanges - which was imho big surprise for Canada players. This Mexico team has potential to reach semis in WWC U-20.

blissett repped this.
  24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Canadians are like the French; they don't want or try hard enough to win the big ones(could this be cuz their part French-Canadians?, lol) If I remember last around, they made it all the way to championship game, but then decided to rest their top GK for their 2nd stringer & that decided the game, the GK flopped a roll pass which was intercepted for the one goal win.

Mexico are excellent technically, but are hampered usually by a lack of athleticism(in both male & female soccer). This time what might be helping them.is finally having a semi pro league. Palafox is a big star in that league(bot sort of a show off), but didn't even play, so maybe the youth coach understand for a more of a need of different type of player.

The one thing you got to understand, American soccer is about how Americans do soccer(Not FIFA's way!). Thus their barely prepare or practice for these FIFA tourney'/In fact, supposed star Ashlyn Sanchez at first said she can't be bothered with it do to college homework, but guess decided to show up anyways. So what you first see is a team with simply no chemistry! But in their favor they got such a vast pool of players to choose from(1000's thousands of wither college or mom & pop select squads) that the talent of these players usually end up taking over as a tournament progresses

Lechus7 repped this.
  25. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, my prediction was wrong :whistling:

Congratulations to Mexico, that was a fun match. Now to see if group stage finales replay themselves!