CONCACAF Teams In U-20 World Cup 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by EvanJ, May 20, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matches/round=275960/match=300367068/index.html is about Vanuatu 2-3 Mexico. Mexico needed a 90+4th minute goal to beat Vanuatu, who is 179th in the FIFA Rankings. Mexico also will play Venezuela and Germany in Group B. Costa Rica is in Group C with Zambia, Portugal, and Iran. Honduras is in Group E with France, Vietnam, and New Zealand. If U-20 teams were as good or as bad as senior national teams, it would be an easy group. USA is in Group F with Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, and Senegal.

2. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I know you meant Vanuatu's Senior team (you meant their senior team, right?) as far as their FIFA ranking but if FIFA did rank lower level NTs, I think this U-20 Vanuatu team would be ranked much higher. Besides, it's Mexico; whatever NT it is, that's their M.O. They always underperformed against 'lower' teams and play like elites against the greats... up until when it matters the most and they somehow lose! This M.O. gets more dramatic as it rises up to the senior team. Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't see much U-20 play, but from what I have, the U-20 USA seem to do the opposite in these tournaments; that seems to be their M.O. but only for the U-20 side.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA only ranks senior national teams. U-20 and U-17 teams play fewer games. The FIFA Rankings go back 4 years. A U-20 ranking that went back 4 years would include games with many players who aren't U-20 anymore. Even if Vanuatu has the 100th best U-20 team, that's a level that Mexico should have an easy time beating. Mexico won their four WCQs against Canada and El Salvador by a combined 11-1 score.

4. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They should but given their M.O., they usually don't. It's all in their head. If they were told that Vanuatu's senior team was ranked in the top 20, there's a high probability that they would've won easily by 2 or more goals. If their M.O. will once again surface (so far it has), the way I think it's gonna play out for them is that they will struggle to beat teams that they should've easily won (and most likely will squeeze out a win) and play their best against the best, deserving of a blowout win but somehow not capitalize on many opportunities, which will be their downfall. I predict they'll either make it to the 3rd place match or the final; whether their M.O. shows up or not will determine which one.

5. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Footsatt, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    USA got a stoppage time goal verse Ecuador to end with a 3-3 draw.
    USA will face Senegal next. Senegal leads the group with a win over Saudi Arabia.

Costa Rica lost their first match 1 - 0 to Iran
    CR faces Portugal next. Portugal and CR both have 1 loss and zero points.

Honduras lost 3 - 0 to France
    Honduras will face New Zealand next. NZ are tied in second with 1 point. Honduras are currently last in their group.

Mexico faces Germany next. Germany are currently 4th in their group with a poor opening game against Venezuela.

Edit current CONCACAF goal scorer's.
    2 Goals:
    Josh Sargent (USA)

1 Goal:
    Edson Alvarez (MEX)
    Ronaldo Cisneros (MEX)
    Kevin Ferreira (MEX)
    Luca de la Torre (USA)

6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico with a draw against Germany puts them in a tough spot. A draw against Venezuela will clinch second, but if they lose and Germany beats Vanuatu by 4 - 0 then MEX could finish in 3rd.

Germany has yet to score a goal, but Venezuela also beat Vanuata 7 - 0. This Vanuata team might be mentally done already.

The poor showing for MEX against Vanuata could hurt them in GD tie breakers.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Zealand 3-1 Honduras
    Senegal 0-1 USA

Group E:
    France 6
    New Zealand 4
    Vietnam 1
    Honduras 0

Group F:
    USA 4
    Senegal 3
    Saudi Arabia 3
    Ecuador 1

USA will win Group F if they beat Saudi Arabia and will finish first or second with a draw. USA could advance with a loss depending on the third place teams in other groups.

8. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal Scorers...

3 Goals:
    Josh Sargent (USA)

1 Goal:
    Edson Alvarez (MEX)
    Ronaldo Cisneros (MEX)
    Kevin Ferreira (MEX)
    Luca de la Torre (USA)
    Marin (CR)
    Alvarez (HON)

Overall Goal leaders...
    3 Goals:
    Augustin (France)
    Cordova (Venezuela)
    Sargent (USA)

2 Goals:
    7 different players

9. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding on to this none of the 4 CONCACAF teams have advanced yet, but all of them still can.

Like you said USA advances with a win or draw... a loss could put them in 3rd.

MEX advances with a win or draw.... a loss could put them in 3rd too.

CR need a win against Zambia (group leader and already qualified) to finish in 3rd. They can maybe finish in second if Portugal beats Iran and CR end with a better GD. They would both be on 4 points.

Honduras are not finished yet either. The most they can place is 3rd, but they face Vietnam who have yet to score a goal, but have 1 point for a 0-0 tie. With a win they will leap Vietnam for 3rd place.

10. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    It sounds like US & Mexico are the only countries of worth that will represent CONCACAF after the group stages -- assuming Mexico goes through of course. Not an easy task due to Venezuela, who looks like a contender for the trophy already.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico 0-1 Venezuela

Mexico got second on goal differential because Germany beat Vanuatu by the same 3-2 score that Mexico did. Germany will hope to be one of the best four third place teams.

12. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Contrary to what many people in other threads have said, I think it could've gone either way as the US lost to Venezuela in extra time. They were almost there and if anything, they deserved a shot for 3rd place. Regardless, this US youth showed something and I hope this 'elimination' doesn't let them down. That being said, after hoping for a 'miraculous USA/Mexico showdown in either the final or 3rd place match, I can definitely see a Mex/Venezuela final... as per my previous post (see below) on the Mexican fútbol culture, they either were gonna blow this or do great things here and they've already done great things (well, as for the Mexican press they still suck), so whatever they do going forward will a plus!

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico 0-1 England.

14. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If anything, this WC has been an interesting one. Hopefully the Senior one next year matches it. Hopefully Venezuela will take it; their people need some bit of joy with all the things happening down there right now.