Concacaf should let the super liga expand

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DANNO49, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was said by MLS when the Super Liga first started they would expand it one day. I think it is high time they did. I would keep the four MLS and MLF teams as it is now. Then add the eight teams that lose in the CCL prelliminary round. Then like the Copa Sudamerican we put all teams in one pot. They draw no matter the country. The winners go on the losers are out:eek:

2. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    That's what the Champions league is for.

3. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Superliga is a joke

they should can that just how the Interliga was canned

4. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I had high hopes for the Superliga when it started but I agree with HechoenChivas now.

5. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Indeed that tournament is a joke and so is this thread.

Candado anyone?? Antonio81?? :p

6. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    For better or for worse, it still exists and we can't really ignore it.

7. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Is it even sanctioned by CONCACAF and FIFA?? I'm sure Jack $. Warner would love to.

8. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    this

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    the most ridiculous tournament ever

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS should revive the old Pacific tournament, make the teams play in Australia during our winter, lets say Late January early February, with teams from Australia, Korea, Japan and MLS (both USA and Canada). MLS can send 4 teams to the CCL, 4 to Superliga and 4 to Australia. That is 12 teams.

Another worthless tournament? Maybe a South Africa tournament shoot we can send teams 13-16 to that one.

:rolleyes:

11. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    that's what many in Mexico say about the CONCACAF Champions League

12. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is ridiculous because no one takes it seriously. MLS teams don't have the depth to compete in multiple competitions so it takes a back burner to the league. Mexican teams don't care because they are so much better than everyone else that they can send a 2nd string side and still win most of the time. I can't speak for Central America, but I doubt they care too much either.

13. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    The people at Pachuca cetainly don't. They love attending the Disney club world cup.

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Are you sure about that?

vs Jalapa (10K)
    vs Isidro Metapan (14K)
    vs Dynamo (18K)
    vs Araba Unido (8K)
    vs Comunicaciones (13K) (quarterfinals)
    vs Toluca (25K) (semifinals)
    vs Cruz Azul (26.5K) (finals)

They give away tickets and do promotions and they still can not fill up the stadium when teams from the area play.

It just so happens that they were at full capacity when they played against Toluca and Cruz Azul.

The tournament is still not well received by many, both fan and players alike.

15. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    When I said "people" I meant the club management. Osea los directivos del club.

Why would the casual fan care if their team qualifies to some world club tournament that's being played thousands of miles away and most cannot even afford to make the trip??

But to answer your question. When Mexican teams come to Central America the numbers are similar or even less than what you posted above. So it's vice versa.

MLS and Central American clubs are unknown in Mexico. Obviously no one would even care to waste their time to go see some unknown "inferior" team especially on working days. Most probably have the mentality that their team would easily win and won't even care to watch the game.

But Mexican clubs are popular in C.A. and still you don't get sold out stadiums.

16. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Why would the casual fan care if their team qualifies to some tournament thousands of miles away in South Africa, and most cannot afford to make the trip?

This is like World Cup Qualifying, except it's Club World Cup Qualifying. In both, teams have to face Caribbean and Central American teams. It's the same principle. If fans understand that, then maybe they'll support the CCL a little more.

17. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God the MLS may be starting the reserve league again. If that happens the league will be able to compete with Mexico in the CCL + SUPERLIGA:)

18. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    You cannot compare clubs to national teams. Totally different since nationalism is involved. Millions of people can identify and be passionate about their country which translates to their national team. Its just not the same.

19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    names?

I doubt anyone in Mexico would dare say Stupid Liga is better than the CCL.

therefore what you said here can't be true :D

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Many people are just as passionate if not more about their clubs.

21. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Maybe in South America but certainly not in CONCACAF.

Just look at the "passionate" hinchas de Chivas in the Copa Libertadores final. That stadium should had been sold out for a final of the Copa Libertadores BUT if it had been El Tricolor playing in Guadalajara that day tickets would had been sold out "como pan caliente".

22. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    In places where clubs have been established for a century or more (Europe and South America,) clubs can be as or more popular than the national team. People live with their clubs in the stadium or travel with them every week, the stadiums themselves are almost cathedrals and part of the culture of the city. Teams like Alajuelense and Cartagines have been around for a century and rivalries are just as old as in UEFA or CONMEBOL, other parts of CONCACAF that haven´t been playing as long may not take their clubs as seriously.

23. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so mexico played in guadalajara. your statement is proven wrong. :)

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!

Mau U Friendly
    Libertadores Final
    Mexico NT friendly

3 huge games and the new Chivas stadium has not been sold out yet, what up with that.

I believe than in the Libertadores semifinal in Mexico City over 60K people showed up to the game correct?

Maybe if the Libertadores Final would have been played in the Jalisco stadium it would have been a sell out.

25. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    You can't compare meaningless friendly (and interim head coach) with a libertadores final. An important WCQ match would have sold out. ;)