CONCACAF Nations League - A new competition for national teams

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Blue Lou, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, FIFA recently announced a new ranking system and included Nations League games just above friendlies.

: importance of match
    I= 05 Friendly matches played outside of International Match Calendar windows
    I= 10 Friendly matches played during International Match Calendar windows
    I= 15 Group phase matches of Nations League competitions
    I= 25 Play-off and final matches of Nations League competitions
    I= 25 Qualification matches for Confederations final competitions and for FIFA World Cup final competitions
    I= 35 Confederation final competition matches up until the QF stage
    I= 40 Confederation final competition matches from the QF stage onwards; all FIFA Confederations Cup matches
    I= 50 FIFA World Cup final competition matches up until QF stage
    I= 60 FIFA World Cup final competition matches from QF stage onwards

Here is a link to the entire story

https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...orld-ranking.pdf?cloudid=jgxjkdrj1jfwyunjbkha

Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #152 Robert Borden, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    CONCACAF Nation League Qualifier match

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2019-20 CONCACAF Nations League
    Qualifying Round
    Home team first, times are ET

This round will divide the non-2018 Hex teams into the 3 Leagues. The top 6 will join the Hex teams in League A and qualify for the 2019 Gold Cup. The next 4 will go into League B and also qualify for the 2019 Gold Cup. The next 12 will also join League B. The bottom 12 will form League C.

Matchday 1

Thursday, September 6
    Dominica v. Suriname 4:00 pm

Friday, September 7
    Anguilla v. French Guiana 4:00 pm
    Antigua and Barbuda v. Saint Lucia 6:00 pm
    Belize v. Bahamas 8:00 pm

Saturday, September 8
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines v. Nicaragua 3:00 pm
    Cuba v. Turks and Caicos Islands 4:00 pm
    Guyana v. Barbados 7:00 pm
    Montserrat v. El Salvador 7:00 pm

Sunday, September 9
    Bonaire v. Dominican Republic 4:00 pm
    U.S. Virgin Islands v. Canada 4:00 pm @ Bradenton, FL
    Aruba v. Bermuda 6:00 pm
    Jamaica v. Cayman Islands 7:00 pm
    Saint Kitts and Nevis v. Puerto Rico 8:00 pm

Monday, September 10
    Haiti v. Sint Maarten 6:30 pm
    Curacao v. Grenada 8:00 pm

Tuesday, September 11
    Saint Martin v. Guadeloupe 4:00 pm
    Martinique v. British Virgin Islands 8:00 pm

Matchday 2: October 11-16
    Matchday 3: November 16-20
    Matchday 4: March 21-26, 2019

Footsatt repped this.
  4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking forward to this next phase of international soccer. I think this NL could benefit our region.

BocaFan, Paul Calixte and nfitz repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradenton, you say? I'll have to see if I can't convince my wife to go ahead with a family trip there ;)

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The key is finding a way to make the NL matches truly meaningful to the top teams in the region. There is little doubt that everyone from Canada to Belize will take this seriously. Much better than playing friendlies for 3 years until the next WC qualifiers start-up.

But how to get the likes of Costa Rica and Mexico to care? Linking it to WC qualifying is the only way that I can think of, but not sure CONCACAF would be that bold.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No taking the competition seriously means that you might not qualify for the Gold Cup the next time. That's a huge drop in ranking.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Right, but I don't know if that would provide any motivation to the top teams. More teams qualify for the Gold Cup than there are in League "A". Not qualifying for the Gold Cup isn't a realistic event for the likes of U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica or even Honduras.

9. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If there is incentive ($$$$) to remain at the highest league as well as winning the League Cup (as well as incentive for Runner-up, etc.), I'm sure that'll be suffice for motivation. That and a Trophy and bragging rights. :D

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do we know that? Like, we know how the qualification for the 2019 Gold Cup works, but I haven't seen anything about 2021, nor anything to suggest that the two competitions will be linked in the future.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could've sworn I mentioned this before, but if I haven't: if a joint CONMEBOL-Concacaf Copa América happens for 2020, I have to think the CNL would be used as qualifying. And please, for all six berths - Mexico and the US are almost shoe-ins, but make them earn it.

Robert Borden repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The league of nation will act as qualifiers for post 2019 Gold Cup, potentially future Copa America and have an influence on the WCQ.

Montagliani has admitted that the Gold Cup being every 2 years might have to be reviewed.

There's a multiplier in points for games and cups won in Continental tournament. Not taking the CNL seriously means you could get relegated to League B and not qualify for the Gold Cup. That's a lot of points being left behind.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If say, the US don't take CNL seriously while being in a group of death with Mexico and Honduras, finishing last out of 3 means you get relegated. That means you're out of the next Gold Cup, that simple.

So yes, CNL means you have to bring your A game or you might pay the consequences.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The odds that any NL group will be that strong are minuscule though.

Yeah, there should be no more automatic qualifications for CONCACAF nations for either Copa America or Gold Cup. Not even if you're the host.

The timing would work well if they wanted to use NL for Copa 2020 qualifying (assuming there will be a 2020 Copa). For 2022 qualifying, I would like to see a 4-team playoff in League A to determine the WC inter-continental playoff spot for Qatar (similar to the UEFA NL is used for Euro 2020). Only the top 3 would then qualify directly via the HEX. That would ensure everyone takes the NL seriously as nobody can be fully confident of finishing top 3 in the HEX.
    Of course, you'd have to play the NL group-stage before the HEX starts and then the 4-team League A playoff would take place after the completion of the HEX, and only involve teams that didn't finish in the top 3 of the HEX.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It doesn't have to be. A group with US, Honduras and Panama is possible. Not taking them seriously can end up in a slippery slope very fast

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think any group can be that strong either. If they seed the draw then every group must have at least one team that didn't make the 2017 HEX. So the most difficult possible would be Mexico, US, Jamaica/Canada.

Second point: even if you do get relegated from league A you would still qualify for the Gold Cup in all likelihood. There are 16 teams in the Gold Cup and only 12 in League "A".

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    6 Hex teams split in 4 groups of 3. There's a big chance (50%) that your group gets another HEX team. Expect 2 out of 4 groups to be tough.

I don't know why people speculate the US won't take CNL seriously. They absolutely will. Some fans needs to get down that aura of "indestructibility". No team's invincible and the rest of the region is also improving, not just the US.

BocaFan repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Which could make for a difficult group to win. But not a difficult group to avoid relegation from.

BTW I have the same concern for the UEFA NL. Obviously League B,C and D teams have every incentive to take it seriously. But for the likes of Germany, France, etc. I'm not so sure. I could see them treating it as a friendly. Guess we'll find out in September.

Robert Borden repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gonna reiterate my question and ask for sourcing on that.

20. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    @ 33:40

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nope. They only speak about Gold Cup qualifying. But thanks for the video.

I get the feeling that we will have some yo-yo teams between leages A and B. The likes of El Salvador, Canada, Jamaica, etc are probably too good for league B but will get relegated immediately everytime they play in leage A. But time will tell...

22. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which is exactly what the member below was asking about and what I replied with.

The question he is reiterating to is his original "Do we know that?" question, which refers to qualifying for the Gold Cup.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He's right. I haven't seen anything about 2021 Gold Cup qualifying or even whether the 2019-20 Nations League results will be used for anything at all (Copa 2020, WC seeding). The video only shows how NL qualifying is used for Gold Cup 2019 qualifying. Its totally logical that the CNL would be used for the 2021 Gold Cup and beyond (we can almost even assume so) but I don't think it has been confirmed.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly, that's because the 2021 Gold Cup itself has not been confirmed yet.

If anything, right now, we have NO idea what the hell football will look like that summer. Will there be a Gold Cup? A Confederations Cup? A monstrous Club World Cup/ICC hybrid? UEFA Nations League Finals? FIFA Nations League Finals? All this, to say nothing about leagues potentially starting earlier in anticipation of Qatar 2022 screwing up calendar adjustments...

TrueCrew and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. Although its the summer of 2022 that leagues may start early to make room for the WC, not 2021.