CONCACAF must restructure Champions League slot allocation.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem, ahem, I would like to make an announcement:

USL.

Carry on...

2. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bleh...stupid argument. Its going to be mexican teams + saprissa dominating for now, no matter where you put the slots. MLS has only 3 guaranteed spots. MLS salary cap and emphasis on parity is going to guarantee some lame duck spots. The only country that deserves more spots is Mexico and they already have four, and we should at least act like its not a Mexican domestic cup.
    USA spots
    SS winner
    MLS cup winner
    mls runner up- should probably do away with this one or at least give it the ss runner up

US Open cup is open to USL teams, they just aren't good enough to win it.

Toronto's spot has nothing to do MLS, they beat the other Canadian teams. I guess you could argue candada's spot should be taken away and given to the Caribbean. Then they compete with the Caribbean teams since eventually all of their teams will compete for the mls spots also.

In the end its all about the money, and we know thats why we have 4 spots.

3. Megadicto

Megadicto New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  4. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely unreadable

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, pretty much everything said in that has been repeated over and over again in this thread and others. I got nothing new out of the article except for some eyestrain.

It's basically, disregard the 13 years of Open Cup results history because we feel like it and only use the data that supports our position. USL's play on the field is close to if not superior than MLS'. And then there's some tin-foil hat crap about a USSF conspiracy to keep the proletar- umm... USL down. Somehow, the USSF apparently got the CONCACAF draw to come out where the Canadian team and Caribbean team would play in order to make USL teams play each other. :rolleyes:

I can predict what's in part two. He'll go on to say that the plan failed because Toronto qualified and then was defeated by a superior PRI team. Yet again ignoring the fact that Toronto had to defeat two USL teams to get there in the first place. Hell, including the Canadian Championship with the CCL Prelims Toronto's record against USL teams is 3-1-2 and yet people will still use this as an example of the superiority of the USL.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh c'mon, where's the imagination? That last Nutrilite Canadian Championship was full of conspiracy gold. :D:p

8. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The islanders have been getting a little cocky lately, 1 good performance dosnt mean they are going to repeat it, considering they got in after being seeded to semifinals of caribbean cup in wich there are 3 spots for the ccl, hey just had to win 1 game and they had 2 opportunitys to do so, besides this time around they are in the toughest group, seeing as they have been so overconfident i dont think theyr getting our of the group stage.

Im always happy seeing people making fun of the MLS, more so when there are arguments like the usl is better and pointig out facts like last year ccl, but i dont know i just dont like the way they act like the cindarella and superman combined, they tend to say they beat superior teams and then they say they are the superior team who has been underrated, i dont know it just dosnt make any sense.

Still i hope they give a good performance, so that 1 of the mls spots is given to the Caribbean, and make the competition a little tougher, that is if the caribbean stop theyr idiotic way of seeding a teams.

9. Islanders4Ever

Islanders4Ever New Member

May 1, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Who said the Islanders are getting cocky? One thing is what the fans might say/write in order to start some rivalry and another thing is how the team actually behaves.

10. uslguru

uslguru New Member

May 9, 2009
    You contradict yourself.

First you say that 1 performance is nothing to based anything on but then you talk about the way CFU seeded the islanders... hello that was one time because 2 teams withdraw and they have to change the format.

Please read!!!

11. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fans affect the team, and i mean cocky couse i never saw any other team iin the last CCL boosting how many champions they won agaisnt, or making 10 cartoons against a team before the game was played, now they consider themselfs favorites, yes they are a good team but they are far from being a favorite to taking this year CCL.

When did i mention anything about the performance of the islanders in the CFU? i was complaining about the stupid way of seeding, if i was complaining about their performance i would have mention that they didnt manage to win the CFU and they just had to win 1 game to be in he CCL.
    And yes they were seeded, the competition could have very well being done between the 12 remaning teams but they instead decided to seed a team to the semis that's bull, and it isnt fair for the other teams, how would you feel if a mexican club was seeded to the semifanal of the CCL? or a MLS team to the semis of the open cup? or w/e it is they compete with usl.

12. uslguru

uslguru New Member

May 9, 2009
    As I said READ...

Your comments had 2 parts.

1) You first dismiss the islanders becasue 1 year is not enough

Teams are judged by their performances each year, not by their history.
    What else should be the point of having a YEARLY tournament?
    If they had a good run in 2008 and the team, as I understand, is almost the same why would they not feel confident of at least a decent run this year too?

but then

2) You criticize the CFU format (but it was only 1 year).

A team is not good enough becasue 1 good performace vs CFU is bad for the way they seed them. (You seem to think that this format is always the same)

They were scheduled to play as everyone else. But 2 teams withdraw at the last minute and there was no time to make big schedule changes. Yeah it is not fair, but it was only this year and with extreme circumstances.

If you don't know the facts please only comment on any subject you have the info. Everything else makes you sound .........

About the Mexican or MLS seeding.. I think the whole 4 and 4 slots are unfair. there should be a coefficient to have different # of slot to each region each year..and that is the main purpose of this thread.

13. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I accept i might have been a little biased, i didnt like the way their fans acted at that time and the way their acting now, but I still feel their cocky but thats just my opinion, like you said they had a good run last year i never denied that and i didnt judge them poorly. I feel they got a understimated last year, that wont happen this year everyone knows now their worth so it wont be as easy, im almoust certain they wont get out of the goup stage this year. Like i said thats just my opinion.

Again i do know the facts, im sorry if i expresed myself poorly, my english is not very good and i have trouble sometimes expresing what i mean.

Anyway I ask you again, originaly there were 14 teams , 2 drop out with out little time to remplace them, but is it really need it to seed a team to the semis? you said there wasnt enough time to make changes to the schedule but the was in fact time, the draw hadnt happen yet, they could have change the format to make it fair for all the 12 teams involved in the competition, certanly the islanders would have probably earned their spot to the ccl, but still its fair for all the teams involved, if the draw hadnt happen why seed a team to semis?
    But ok lets say there wasnt enough time to make schedule changes, originally the Islanders and San Juan were seeded for quarters werent they? lets forgett that for a bit, why dont just not seed teams and put the most scoring team in quarters instead of seeding a team to semis? mmm i would need to make a picture to explain it better but i wont, if you think about a little they could have made things fair and not change the shedule.

And it dosnt matter if its 1 year, if they already done it this way whats stopping them from doing the same the next time a pair of teams drop out? its unfair for the rest of the teams involved both in ccl (who earned their spot playing a lot of more games) and the other cfu teams.

Your right here, i shouldnt have bring that to say the islanders were coocky, my bad. Still i know that the format its not always the same if you check my last post youll see that i refer to 12 teams remianing meaning i knew of the circunstances.

Anyway i wont discuss about this anymore, i still feel the islanders are getting coocky and wont make it past the group stage this year couse of that, and i still feel the cfu format was unfair.

14. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    jeje lets base the Islanders and their attitude towards the CCL on the attitude of about four fans in BS....

Most Islanders fans don't even leave the clubs supporters forum and if you go there most predictions are very conservative.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Great post. :cool:

16. coppercanuck

coppercanuck New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    My limited stats knowledge and number crunching would have the following allocation for next year. The numbers include this years performances, so they will be dynamic until the end of the current CL season. CONCACAF seems to divide the region into 11, the Caribbean countries and each of the other countries. I've guaranteed each region one team and altered the rest on performance...

MEX - 4
    CRC - 3
    HON - 3
    USA - 2
    CAN - 2
    Carib- 2
    SLV - 2
    PAN - 2
    GUA - 2
    NCA - 1
    BLZ - 1

PS- this is a work in progress

17. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just how are you going about determining this? I'll be posting the same thing at the end of the league based on what it appears CONCACAF used to determine the replacement teams. The system they are using is based on how far a team advances in the tournament and not upon individual game results.

18. Whatever you are using. needs fixing baed on the fact that you are giving to spots to a 3 team country (Canada).

19. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    hmm whats his name again :rolleyes:

20. PorMisAwakatls

PorMisAwakatls New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Realistically here is the way it should be:

Guaranteed Spots in the Group Stage

Mex - 4
    CR - 1
    Honduras - 1
    USA - 2

Preliminary Round

CR - 2
    Honduras - 2
    USA - 1
    El Salvador - 2
    Guatemala - 2
    Panama - 2
    T&T - 2
    Puerto Rico - 1
    Canada - 1
    Cuba - 1

21. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let me refer you then to this place:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/VoteDetail/0,,12856~2262919,00.html
    Where will the next CONCACAF Champions League winner come from?

41.7% vote for puerto rico.

If thats not cocky with a little bit of delusions of granditud i dont know what is.

22. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
  23. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically based on what?

24. PorMisAwakatls

PorMisAwakatls New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Teotihuacan
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Based on the level of each league & the results they have obtained in the past CCL