CONCACAF League & Nations League [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by gold4278, Aug 28, 2019.

1. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed that there is a female referee for the Guastatoya vs Comunicaciones CONCACAF league game. Princess Brown from Jamaica and unfortunately she missed an offside call that wasn't even close in the first half. The center is Oshane Nation.

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a little surprised that a Puerto Rico crew is doing a US game. I know PR has a separate national team, but it’s not totally independent of the US.

(Not that it really matters given the first 15 minutes!)

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I've seen plenty of men make some shocking offside calls in CONCACAF.

IASocFan and gold4278 repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I’m at a bar watching the game, I didn’t see who the referee for USA-CAN is tonight. So far, not impressed. He’s let a lot of little stuff go that led to that mini-mass con.

Right now, I just hope for Ivan Barton for every US CONCACAF game except against El Salvador. He’s the only non-Mexico CONCACAF ref eligible to ref US games that I trust.

SparkeyG repped this.
  5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ref: Daneon Parchment (JAM)
    AR1: Juan Carlos Mora (CRC)
    AR2: Ainsley Rochard (TRI)
    4O: Keylor Herrera (CRC)
    Assessor: Quetzalli Alvarado (MEX)

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noteworthy that Fischer had Haiti-Costa Rica and Villarreal had Costa Rica-Curucao in League A over the last two matchdays.

Now they are both off to Brazil for U17WC as VARs. Unless there is a major surprise, that prevents either from working the MLS Playoffs. Villarreal was likely borderline at best for an assignment. Fischer almost certainly would have had one on merit, so that's too bad for him. He's missed a big chunk of the MLS season on FIFA assignments (WWC and U17) as a VAR--hopeful that exposure pays dividends for him.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's my proof that players have no idea about the trickery provision. Also, players have no idea that IFKs come to the top of the goal area.

Credit to Twellman--he knew the trickery part. Not the IFK positioning part.

Did Ramos give the caution for the trickery? He got the dissent afterward.

superdave repped this.
  8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    didn't look like he cautioned the tricker. And then he allowed the GK to be way too close to the kick and set the wall wrong

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What a cluster . . .

Pretty sure he failed to give the trickery caution. (I'm guessing the GK was dissent, but could have had caution for DR, too.)

The players were not back 10 yards/on GL--even after it took forever to get the kick taken. (Almost felt that Canada thought they could stall till after 45 and it wouldn't be taken . . .)

Many then encroached significantly before the kick.

And despite how long that took, there was how much added time?

Yikes

GlennAA11 repped this.
  10. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Positioning of the free kick and the wall itself was way off. For a free kick placement at the corner of the goal area 10 yards would be at the mid point between the goal posts if you trust the Pythagorean theorem and the field marking

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, this is why you just don't make this call...

I'm kidding!

In fact. usually I'm not kidding. This incident shows why you have to be 100% sure the call is accurate and the call is obvious and the call needs to be made. Ramos had no way of getting away with not calling this here, because it was so blatant. But in situations where you can argue any doubt, go with the doubt.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you're wrong here.

It's the goal line or 10 yards, whatever is closer. You can't prevent a defender from being on the goal line at the near post.

Also if you're saying the position of the free kick was wrong, it really wasn't. For an offence like this in the attacking goal area, the IFK comes out to the nearest point on the 6-yard parallel. Given the offence is the trick itself, that probably means the IFK should have been a yard or two to the right (attackers' view). Good for Ramos for getting this mostly right--we've seen a couple FIFA referees in the past few years move the ball to the nearest point on the perimeter of the goal area, when that point is not the 6-yard parallel.

Ramos' mistakes were not cautioning the defender, not getting everyone back 10 yards, and not adding time.

But given the nightmare that these situations become, it's really hard to fault him for the second one and, with the context of the match and the incident, the third issue really might not be a "mistake." Missing the caution--if he did--is the only big problem where blame lies solely on him.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he didn't caution Davies? If so, then in law he had no reason to restart with an IDFK.

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Your math is off. It would be 2 yards inside the post. But you’re right that the players not on the goal line itself has to be 10 yards back and was not.

15. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missing the caution for the trickery is a big mistake from a procedural point of view because, as pointed out right above me, that caution is the only reason play was stopped. No one committed a foul, but there WAS misconduct.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it was 3-0 at the time and obviously Canada has no reason to challenge this, but had the US scored and it was say the first goal of the game would it be protestable from Canada since Davies wasn't cautioned and there was no reason to have an indirect free-kick?

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don’t think so—a cautionable offense occurred. The mistake want the IFK, the mistake was not showing the caution.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Curious what others thought overall. I didn’t think the trickery was the only caution missed, and I thought there were some odd no calls that I thought were clear fouls (from the comfort of my family room...). He had a pretty slow whistle, which I thought was often well used, but a couple of times seemed just slow for no good reason. (He also blew the whistle a fair amount on GK/CK where there seemed no need—that annoys me, but may be cultural.)

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    To be clear... on the goal line BETWEEN the goal posts... or 10 yards/9.15m away.

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it.

21. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad I checked here. Wasn’t sure if I had just gone a little bit crazier or if I was missing something about this play.

Was happy to see it called, not happy to see it executed poorly.

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an offside call around 3:15 on the game clock where the defender clearly jumped and headed the ball before it went to an offside positioned players.

I wish I had video but that one had me scratching my head too. Anyone recall?

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’m pretty sure he was not referring to the player on the goal line, but the line the R drew extending out from the post, which permitted another defender not on the line, a bit over 8 yards away instead of 10.

24. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010

I remember questioning that one as well. The only thing I can think of from memory is, was that attacker close enough to the defender to be interfering with an opponent on his jump? I really don't remember for sure but was thinking during the play that I did not think he was, but was trying to come up with a justification for the AR going up with the flag.

Someone have the clip? If not, I may still have it on the DVR, but it would be terrible quality of me recording it off my phone.

25. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought he bailed the defender out of a poor touch.