Concacaf Gold Cup 2011 latest news

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Paul Calixte, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone,

Those who frequent the Concacaf Champions League board know that I like to set up threads to keep up with qualifiers and the like, and this isn't to undercut anyone who normally does that here. But I just thought that it would be useful to have a catch-all thread to make it easier to keep up with the latest news.

So, for now we know this: there will be a Gold Cup next summer, and the winner will get to play in the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil.

Also, it's been announced today that the 2011 Final will take place in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. Therefore we know that the US will be the main host, although it's still possible that they could have host cities from the outside, e.g. Toronto or Mexico City.

And as for the participants, the US, Mexico and Canada are all automatically qualified (former champions/no qualifying round for North America). The Caribbean championship kicks off in August, with the final tournament to take place in Martinique in November - Martinique and Jamaica (defending champ) are already in the final round, awaiting six other qualifiers, and the four that make the semi-finals will be the Caribbean teams in the Gold Cup. And finally, the UNCAF Cup of Nations will presumably take place in Jan/Feb 2011.

Any other news? Feel free to share/discuss.

2. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    They announced the final will be played in the Rose Bowl first time since 2002.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams that are in the 2011 GC

1. USA
    2. Canada
    3. Mexico

(As of July 22, 2010)

4. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Here's to hoping ES does MUCH better then in the last edition.

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The Caribbean starts it qualifying Aug 18 withe the first round of the Caribbean cup. Central America will begin its qualifying with the UNCAF championship in Panama in January I believe.

6. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Is it in Panama? Thought it was in Costa Rica.

Either way, BET they will setup Panama with ES and they will be super motivated for a payback for 6.22.2008. :D:eek:

I like it though, it's great for the NT to play a team who is fired up.

7. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I am pretty sure its Panama every where I have checked I see Panama.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard, Costa Rica's supposed to host the UNCAF Cup since they were planning on using it to debut their new Estadio Nacional.

9. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I know Panama is also trying to debut a stadium as well but I guess they changed it to Costa Rica. Its hard for me to find much info on the UNCAF I can't even find the dates. If it is in Costa Rica it will be nice to see their new stadium.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the latest info I can find is this blog entry (which references an article from the Guatemalan football federation) that would confirm that Panama will be the host.

12. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    it would be nice if the fixtures permits a USA-Mexico Clash in semis :D

13. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Talk to Warner, dude.

He's the guy always pulling the strings.

You island guys need to start a viscious campaign to get rid of the guy.

Just oust him from his position of course:cool:

14. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It would be nice if Canada, the US and Mexico each hosted a group - those "automatic qualifications" would be even more justified. Canada could have the games in Toronto and Montreal, Jamaica in TO and Honduras in Montreal are always a big draw. After that, I could handle all the knock-out games being in the US.

15. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    That would be incredibly unfair to everyone else. Automatic qualification and home field advantage to teams that are already stronger then most. Short of rotating the tournament this is the fairest way to play it. The USA is almost like playing in neutral territory given that most countries in CONCACAF have sizable immigrant populations in the states.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since MexiGOL decided to give me neg rep for this post, and since I couldn't reach him/her personally about it, I'll just provide the clarification here: I'm not saying that the blog entry itself proves anything, but rather that the article it references, straight from the football federation of Guatemala (where UNCAF is located), seems to provide confirmation that Panama will host the next UNCAF tournament - now known as the Copa Centroamericana.

17. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah that is the most recent news I have been able to find the name change and Panama hosting. However others on here have said the host was moved to Costa Rica so they can debut their new stadium, I guess will get more news as the tournament approaches.

18. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Canada has huge immigrant populations as well. In the latest World Cup qualifying cycle, Jamaica in Toronto and Honduras in Montreal had nearly half the fans in attendance.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The problem is that Canada can't host the full tournament at the moment so why give them that much of an advantage? If we could rotate the tournament then that would be great but giving Canada and Mexico home field advantage is tipping the tournament way to much in their favor. Canada already qualifies automatically isn't that enough? How would that be fair to other competitors like Costa Rica and Honduras? The tournament would get even more predictable and meaningless if they did that.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, you would be correct, the Gold cup would rotate among the 45 Concacaf members (or is it 35?). But we all know that many countries are too poor and do not have the facilities to hold the tournament.

Also Jack wants to make money so he wants to host the tournament in a place where concacaf will make money (USA). I believe that the way the bidding for the Gold cup works is that a federation needs to guarantee concacaf a certain amount of Income, if the Gold cup does not make that money, the federation is responsible for the balance.

El Salvador could host it if they guarantee Jack his piece of pie.

21. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

jack warner is one of the biggest mafia in FIFA , I am hoping someone
    from Canada or elsewhere in the Caribbean could run against
    him . that person have to highlight these sub regions, UNCAF: must carry
    all votes , N America ; must get Mexico & Canada , Caribbean : Must split
    the caribbean and get atleast the Greater antilles , anything from the lesser antilles is a bonus .

22. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    LOL! advantage??? You mean like the advantage El Salvador gets playing the gold cup in LA?? Or the advantage Mexico gets everywhere? If you're so concerned about advantages then maybe the tournament should be held in alaska. Canada is already at a massive DISADVANTAGE every Gold Cup because the United States isn't filled with Canadians unlike every other gold cup participant. Even if Canada hosted a group the crowds would still be half against them. Does that sound like an advantage to you?

23. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Jyda there are actually lots of Canadians in the USA, they just don't seem to be interested in going to gold cup games. If the games were in large Canadian cities I am sure its very possible that Canadian fans would be out numbered but that doesn't mean playing at home isn't an advantage. In fact if Canada played Costa Rica in Toronto Canadian fans might even outnumber Costa Rican fans. Besides the USA and even Canada has played at home against teams like Mexico with Mexican fans outnumbering them and gotten favorable results that they don't get in Mexico. I mean you are honestly going to say playing at home isn't advantage! I am all for playing in Canada so long as they host the whole tournament until then what possible reason is there for giving them home games? That Hispanic fans in the USA are more interested in seeing their national teams play then Canadians? Besides teams like El Salvador don't play all their games in L.A. they rotate to cities like Columbus were theoretically Canadian fans could come out and get close to the same number of fans. Having Mexico and Canada host their group games adds nothing in terms of competition, in fact it will just tip the balance in Canada and Mexico's favor more. Why would you want to make the gold cup less competitive? The best teams in CONCACAF struggle against Mexico in Mexico now you want teams that can't even get in hex to play there?

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+