CONCACAF Countries The USMNT Has Never Played

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EvanJ, Feb 12, 2012.

1. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere there is a webiste called bigcricket and some Caribean lads wondering why such a large country as the USA does not have a good cricket team

2. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere there is a webiste called bigcricket and some Caribean lads wondering why such a large country as the USA does not have a good cricket team

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That is quite the thought to ponder

TKyle repped this.
  4. warned2820

warned2820 Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Baseball is actually the most popular sport in Curacao and Aruba.

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that hard to understand, actually.

USACA, the governing body for Cricket in the USA, is hopelessly corrupt, inept, and incompetent. They even managed to get themselves banned from Cricket competition once because of some power struggle over how to elect their president.

Moreover, the Cricket ex-pats in America are genuinely uninterested in growing the sport here, which is a bit of shame, since it's such a stragetic sport, like its cousin baseball.

That's the impression I get from reading cricinfo.com's USA page. The USACA makes Washington DC look efficient in comparison.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add on to some of my earlier posts about the teams we haven't played.

Nicaragua made the Gold Cup in 2009, but were not in our group. They didn't make it past group.

Suriname and the USA both qualified for the 1985 CONCACAF Championship, but were in different groups and neither advanced to the final group.

I think it is only a matter of time before we get a game vs. Suriname, Guyana, or Nicaragua, whether it be Gold Cup or a semifinal round of WCQ.

For the others, it may take a while, unless they change the WCQ format again to a knockout round early on.

7. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I'd add teams like Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Both have potential to improve at least to the level where they can make the odd Gold Cup or Semifinal round, both have come relatively close and are currently comparable to Suriname, Guyana and Nicaragua.

Some of the smaller islands, such as St. Kitts and Nevis, are also capable of making the Semifinal round or Gold Cup on occasion.

Also, given the history, there is a good probability that CONCACAF will change the format of both the Gold Cup and Qualifying. It's certainly unknown whether any future change will make it more or less likely to play various teams.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But how's that considering the Dutch are bonkers for football and those places only have recently been semi-independent from the homeland?

9. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing Puerto Rico would be funny. I think a Puerto Rican who has never stepped foot on any US state could be selected to play for the USMNT methinks. They do carry US passports.

CREN repped this.
  10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bert Blyleven, man... :)

Seriously, Dutch baseball in on the rise - been a the last few World Baseball Championships as I recall...

11. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Close...

Suyuntuy and Jough repped this.
  12. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chris Armas played for Puerto Rico early in his career.I cant remember the circumstance-either an Olympic or Gold Cup qualifier.There was talk at the height of his career that he wouldnt be able to play for the USA due to this.Somehow it was resolved, so many beers ago I cant remember all the details.

13. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re:Chris Armas Puerto Rico
    per wikipedia he played in the 1993 Caribean Cup, which was not FIFA sanctioned but classified as a friendly.I think Puerto Rico vainly tried to dispute it by saying the top two teams went to the Gold Cup (of which PR was niether)

14. warned2820

warned2820 Member

Nov 27, 2008
    No idea why, but Aruba has produced four MLB players in recent memory, which is pretty impressive for an island its size. Curacao has produced even more players thanAruba, most notably Andruw Jones, and teams from there always show well at the Little League World Series. Baseball has some level of popularity in the Netherlands as there have been a few MLB players that were born and raised there.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Very interesting. And yet basketball has no real presence there.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hosting St. Vincent and the Grenadines means we have now played 19 out of 34 CONCACAF countries.

17. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rik Smits

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  20. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allegedly a friendly vs PR.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Men's team or the Women's team?

22. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not cricket!

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Men's team. Note that "USMNT" is in the topic title, not "USWNT."

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm. Do you have a source?

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I tried to figure out what you were trying to convey in your initial post so forgive me for not really seeing where you were going with that.