CONCACAF Countries The USMNT Has Never Played

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EvanJ, Feb 12, 2012.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF has 34 other countries (35 total). I included only areas that can play in WCQs. I excluded areas like Guadeloupe. http://www.eloratings.net/USA.htm does not have any games listed against (the order is the order used to seed the countries in 2014 WCQs):

1. Antigua and Barbuda (that will change)
    2. Guyana
    3. Suriname
    4. St. Kitts and Nevis
    5. Dominica
    6. Puerto Rico
    7. St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    8. Nicaragua
    9. Belize
    10. Dominican Republic
    11. British Virgin Islands
    12. St. Lucia
    13. Turks and Caicos Islands
    14. Bahamas
    15. Aruba
    16. U.S. Virgin Islands
    17. Anguilla
    18. Montserrat

So we've played less than half of the rest of CONCACAF. In June we will make it half.

CTS26, El Chuma, Revolt and 3 others repped this.
  2. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...we basically haven't played the mostly garbage Caribbean teams. Can't say that I'm too sad about that!

Master O repped this.
  3. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i'm surprised there's never been a match against puerto rico

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to play Belize for the first time which will mean we will have faced more than half the CONCACAF countries.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amazing stuff.
    surprised we havent played nicarauga.

6. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006

You would think that Nicaragua would have a better team given their size and population. However, they've always been one of the CONCACAF minnows on par with the likes of other baseball first teams such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. I think Panama was similar until the past 10 to 15 years or so.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah it is bizarre.

I mean they just seem to suck really bad. its bizarre.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Next time we play the Netherlands, bring along the Suriname for a double header and have the B squad play them.

9. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dominican Republic ever get serious about soccer they will be one of the best teams in the region. They're basically the only team on that list that has any sort of real potential...

well Suriname could be good too but they lose all their players to Netherlands

10. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing, and troubling list for some reason. Not even the Bahamas? Ok, wha'ev

11. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY

I don't find it very troubling. I mean, there's a reason we haven't played the Bahamas, or any of the other teams on this list. These teams are all on the same tier as Belize. Those teams almost never win enough sub-regional matches to qualify for the Gold Cup or World Cup Qualifiers, and they're not a big enough challenge to make playing them in friendlies a priority. It's nice to see these 6-1 wins every once in a while, but it just isn't compelling soccer and doesn't really prepare us for teams that are a real challenge.

12. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010

Nicaragua is baseball-first as well.

13. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DR is literally one of baseball's biggest strongholds.

Does soccer have any chance there?

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread idea.

Some teams have made the Gold Cup before, but were not in our group. Saint Vincent & the Grenadines in 1996 comes to mind (former Crew and Galaxy player Ezra Hendrickson was on that team, I think).

Of the non-FIFA members of CONCACAF (Martinique, Gaudeloupe, French Guiana, Sint Maarten, Saint-Martin) I know we have played Martinique at least once, in the 2003 Gold Cup group phase (2-0 win, both from McBride). And we played Guadeloupe in Group in 2011 (1-0 win, Altidore).

Further, a couple of times, the non-FIFA member CONCACAF teams have been in Gold Cup, but we didn't play them because either they didn't advance (Martinique in 1993) or did advance but we didn't play them in the knockout rounds (Martinique in 2002, Guadeloupe in 2007 & 2009).

If you really want to be thorough, the RSSF Archive has results (and squad lists, I believe) for all matches through 2001. I believe the USSF site has at least results from 2002 on as well.

Anyway, per FIFA, here's the # of times we have played our 39 CONCACAF foes:

1. Mexico = 60 times
    2. Canada =31 times
    3. Costa Rica =27 times
    4. Guatemala = 24 times
    T5. Jamaica =20 times
    T5. Honduras =20 times
    T5. Trinidad & Tobago =20 times
    8. El Salvador =19 times
    9. Haiti = 16 times
    10. Panama = 12 times
    11. Cuba =9 times
    12. Bermuda = 8 times
    13. Barbados = 4 times
    14. Grenada = 3 times
    T15. Curacao (Netherlands Antilles) = 2 times
    T15. Antigua & Barbuda = 2 times
    17. Belize = 1 time
    18. Cayman Islands = 1 time
    ----------------------------
    19. Martinique (non-FIFA member) = at least 1 time
    20. Guadeloupe (non-FIFA member) = at least 1 time

Zeros:
    1. Dominican Republic
    2. Suriname
    3. Guyana
    4. Saint Vincent & the Grenadines
    5. St. Kitts & Nevis
    6. Puerto Rico
    7. St. Lucia
    8. Aruba
    9. Nicaragua
    10. Dominica
    11. Montserrat
    12. Bahamas
    13. US Virgin Islands
    14. British Virgin Islands
    15. Anguilla
    16. Turks and Caicos Islands
    -------------------
    17. French Guiana (none that I could find, but haven't looked at RSSF)
    18. Saint-Martin
    19. Sint-Maarten

If/when Bonaire becomes a member, we'll be right at 50%.

Hopefully, in WCQ in coming cycles, we'll get a chance to play Suriname, Guyana, and maybe some others. Guyana got the the 3rd round of WCQ this year, but weren't in our group. And if we get to 4 spots ever, I think we'll go to something similar to Asia, and go 2 groups of 4 (or five) in the final round in lieu of a Hex, which could mean more teams in the previous round (16 instead of just 12).

15. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There are a number of seriously under-performing teams in CONCACAF. If you break the top of the region down into tiers:

Tier 1 - US, Mexico
    Tier 2 - Costa Rica, Honduras
    Tier 3 - Guatemala, Jamaica, T&T, El Salvador, Panama
    Tier 4 - Canada, Haiti, Cuba, Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda

Given their population, resources, sports culture, and soccer history Canada should be solidly in tier 2 and Cuba, Suriname, and Puerto Rico should all be in tier 3 (maybe even tier 2 for Suriname--several of the best players in the world over the past 20-30 years have been Surinamese, you can't tell me that if they wanted to they couldn't pull together a team of guys who aren't quite good enough to play for Holland but could consistently beat all but the top 4-6 teams in CONCACAF).

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well how did baseball become such a hit in Dominican Republic and Nicaragua whereas soccer is so BIG in Haiti and Trinidad & Tobago and Costa Rica and everywhere else in the Caribbean/Central America (well besides the countries that are fanatical about cricket)

17. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

The USA brought the game of baseball to Cuba in the mid-1860's and it was Cuban immigrants, fleeing their country's ten-year war, who spread the game throughout the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic included.

http://dr1.com/articles/baseball.shtml
    I have seen stranger. In the Caribe side of Costa Rica they love cricket in certain pockets. The reason being is Jamiacans, Bahamans etc etc wre brought in to help work on the Panama Canal. After completion, some migrated northward settling on the Caribbean coasts, taking cricket with them.

Marko72 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After researching the West Indies team, I was disappointed to learn that the US has missed it's chance at qualifying for the Cricket World Cup for 2014 and will start competing in 2015 Division 3 along with Bermuda, whichever two teams get relegated from Division 2 and whichever two teams get promoted from Division 4*.

(*Which includes Italy, so hey, we got that going for us, which is good...)

19. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dunno about Nicaragua, but soccer isn't the most popular sport anywhere in the Caribbean other than Haiti (and maybe the former Dutch possessions like Aruba and Curacao, not sure about them)--baseball is king in the Spanish-speaking Caribbean, cricket in the English-speaking.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nicaragua has been doing slightly better as of late at the youth levels.

They qualified for the 2013 CONCACAF U20 championships, beating Honduras to do so. And they gave Costa Rica everything they could handle. [Once they got to the tournament they didn't do great].

A small blip on the radar..........or a sign of things to come?

Probably the former.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd put Costa Rica in Tier 1 as well. They qualified for 2 of the last 3 World Cups. They have some solid players in MLS, Scandinavia, and a talented few in the PL including Bryan Ruiz. They may not perform so well in the Gold Cup. But I'd say they're definitely a top dog.

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Nicaragua qualified for the Gold Cup in 2009, going winless in Mexico's group. I was impressed by Real Esteli's atmosphere for CCL matches.

23. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006

Very true. That's why I said "other baseball first teams" ;).

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    and that they won't play matches in a third world place like Saprissa. Then again, we play in Columbus.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

classy.