CONCACAF Confederations Cup playoff : October 10 in Rose Bowl. USA v Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ATLfirefan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I'd like to say the playoff match is nothing but another cash cow for CONCACAF (maybe a cash calf, cash lamb), so this whole discussion begins in idiocy, but it needs to be discussed.

Where do you think the CONCACAF Confederations Cup playoff match be played? Obviously, it will be announced after the Mexico/Jamaica match.

If we play Mexico, I see the match being played in a large stadium in the Southwest. Here are possible sites and their schedules:

Dallas-- Cowboys play at home Oct. 11, two days after. Is that enough time to turnover from soccer to football?
    Houston--Texans play at home Thursday, Oct. 8. Too little time?
    LA Coliseum/Rose Bowl--USC plays at home on Thursday, Oct. 8. UCLA has a bye that week. Large stadium, grass, known soccer history.
    Phoenix--Cardinals do not play at home that weekend. It's grass, it's a nice soccer stadium, it has additional seating to bring capacity up to about 70,000.
    San Francisco/Santa Clara--49ers are away that weekend. It's pretty new, in a relatively new location for these teams, it's grass.

Idk where they'd play a match between USA and Jamaica. In Florida? Would CONCACAF risk not selling out a large stadium?

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pasadena City Council has approved an unnamed major soccer event on October 9, contingent on the results of other unnamed soccer games in July. Obviously that will be the location if it's Mexico. Likely it will be elsewhere if it's Jamaica.

ATLfirefan repped this.
  3. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was just a rumor, but I see where that is so. Definitely makes the most sense. I doubt they'd play USA-Jamaica there. I really do.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be they just switch to StubHub if it's Jamaica, but they may want it on the East Coast where there are more Jamaicans. It's a CONCACAF event, so nobody's trying to help the USA have a good home field advantage. Red Bull Arena wouldn't shock me.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely rose bowl or rba

6. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be there...

7. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see all 20 of the AO chapters in California really bring a tremendous local presence to this game - Obviously there will be USMNT fans traveling in from all over the country but the local presence could really be huge for giving the team the proper support it deserves.

I really hope that CONCACAF gives the Outlaws a "true section" unlike the last time the U.S. played Mexico(2011 Gold Cup Final) but I am not holding my breath. I really believe that the Outlaws could sell out 2 or 3 whole sections if they were allocated those tickets.

Galaxian repped this.
  8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be bringing at least 40 for this game. The talk of ticket allocation is promising, but I won't hold my breath. The 2011 Gold Cup final was the worst I've ever seen in terms of fan % split for a USA vs Mexico (and I've seen USA-Mexico games in Houston, Phoenix, and Chicago).

This is a MASSIVE game. We will need as much support as possible. Let''s do this! USA!

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One difference is that there's lead time to plan this thing, unlike a Gold Cup final where you only really have a few days notice that it's actually going to happen. But I don't trust CONCACAF.

10. milkshakeballa

Sep 6, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    So I was out of the country for the last gold up final and I really want my girlfriend to experience a us/mex game.

Question: how was was the last game at the rosebowl? I can take batteries, piss, and beer - but not sure my gf can!! Was it safe?

How much are we expecting ticks to go for?

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was fine. We sat with Mexican fans and as long as you can tolerate taunting and an occasional middle finger you're fine.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys do realize concacaf has no obligation to help US fans?

ATLfirefan repped this.
  13. Alain10

Alain10 Member

Jun 13, 2012
    It's safe if you can keep calm and stay with the good people. You dig your own grave if you're easily offended and got a temper.

For example, after the game, walking in the tunnel exit full of emotions, a Mexican fan blew damn vuvuzela behind my ear. Bad place to start a fight. I just smile at them and let it go.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mean if you want a fight you can easily get one. Just ignore all the taunts and you'll be fine. Very few people are going to physically assault you. Ironically being in a smaller group is a bit safer. People seem to disassociate that there are individuals in a large group. So while common decency overcomes them in throwing at beer at you and your girl, they have no problem lobbing it into a crowd of AO fans.

15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm in. The percentages in the stands can't be any worse than 2011. But, I don't expect it to be much better. They can allocate all they want but that isn't full proof (I know people who have succeeded buying tickets from another team's allocation since their tax were sold out) and even if they initially get the tix in the right hands, it's a free for all in the after market. No chance I'm giving up mine if I can get them, but money will talk for many, and many will buy simply to sell at a profit.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got offered $500 each for mine last time. It took a lot to turn down a 1000% profit

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    2011 was bad for the US supporters....completely outnumbered.

definitely in for this time around...any word on how tickets will be handled?

18. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is the biggest US match here in a long time. I expect that we'll have substantially more support than in 2011. I just hope the rumor of the first 70K tickets or so being allocated equally between the USSF and the Mexican Federation are true.

I was in the AO "section" in 2011, and although we were greatly outnumbered, I never felt threatened or anything like that. Yes, there was some beer thrown into the general USA area, but it was never anything crazy. I also tailgated outside the stadium for a few hours before the match and didn't have any problems. I did get the heck out the stadium before the final whistle, though.....probably not a good idea to stick around for a while if we lose...

19. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you that attended the 2011 Gold Cup Final how much were tickets in the supporters section?
    and does anyone know what tickets in the AO section might cost for this playoff game (the same or higher)?

Trying to budget my costs coming from SLC and wanted to get a base amount for game tickets to add to hotel, flight and rental car costs.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say $50 for the cheapest ticket might not be a bad budget

chris4usa repped this.
  21. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I believe I paid somewhere around $50/ticket or maybe a little less than that back in 2011.

22. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup Final tickets were about $80 with fees in the American Outlaws section.............I'd suspect ticket prices would be around that range given the magnitude of the match......At least I'm not traveling to LA to not see the US in the Championship game

Real Corona repped this.
  23. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I think $50 is being optimistic.

24. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we switch the title to October 10th.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They changed the date???