Concacaf Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    check out the article, it says how many clubs per country are invited

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA; three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua.

my 2 cents...
    Costa Rica should have gotten 3 spots, not just 2, boolsheet costa ricas 3rd best club is better than Guate 2nd, ES 1st and 2nd, Panama 1st and 2nd and any team from nicaragua, belize or canada

2. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I am in agreement that Costa Rica got a rough deal in the seedings. They have won 2 of the last 5 trophys while the US hasn't won it since 2000 the only explanation for the low amount of spots has to be unfortunately money. I just hope that they will have something like the UEFA champions league where they will rate the countries participating and adjust the seeds over time by how they preform. I have to defend naming countries like Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua because it has to be a truly north and central american competition where all countries should be able to participate. Odds are they won't even make the group phase but smaller clubs having success in the cup will only serve for more compelling stories and matches.

3. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with the sentiment that the there should be as much as possible one representative from each country. Even though Canada doesn't have our own league (yeah we are shamed for having our top teams and even all of our top developmental teams in USA leagues) we should still deserve one spot. Hopefully there will be a ranking system established so that over time each association will earn their number of spots.

I was wondering if it would be possible now that we know the makeup of the tourney, if everyone could help with how each country will determine ther representatives.

Also, perhaps if you care to arrange the prelim qualifiers in how you think they may be ranked. I'm curious what others think.

4. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica and the Caribbean probably should've earned 1 more spot each, at the expense for one of Panama and either a Nicaraguan or Belizian(?) spot.

But that's just how Champions League type tournaments are formatted. Does anyone really think the champion of the Danish Superliga or the Belgian League are as good as or better than the 5th place team in the Premiership each year?

Also, does anyone really think that the 4th place finisher in CONCACAF or the AFC are better than the first team that gets left out of the World Cup from UEFA?

These tournaments are all about including some form of geographic parity.

5. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    It should be fun... I can't wait, finally to have canadian teams involved in something... I really look forward to it.

Re: Costa Rica.... definately deserves 3 spots, don't know where the extra would come from but it deserved to be there. It could only come from a place with more then 1, cause u don't wanna eliminate a country from the tourny though.

What about half spots?

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Simple take away one of MLS spots.

7. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoring the seeding issues, which I believe will be worked out after the first run of the tournament. I like it and think it'll open more general soccer fans to clubs NOT in Europe that they might not see other wise.

CONCACAF Champions League

8. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    So I was wondering if all the teams qualifying through the CFU cup came from one country if that would be a problem. Technically its not too far fetched for this scenario to occurr especially since the allocation of spots to the CFU cup is even more arbitrary than the CCL itself.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This event doesnt happen without FMF and MLS's involvment. They are vital to this Champions League effort, they got the TV and the money markets to make it a success.

They get the baragining power in this. Thats why they got 2(2) and CR and the rest of central america gets (1)(1).

The less FMF and the less MLS markets that are invloved the less interested investors and sponsors are gonna be. FACT.

10. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone fill this in? I assume the last Mexican champion in Dec will get one spot and the champion in June will get the other?

How are the other leagues deciding the slots?

Mexico: Atlante
    Mexico:
    USA: Houston Dynamo
    USA: DC United
    Costa Rica:
    Honduras:
    El Salvador:
    Guatamala:

Preliminary Round Qualifiers:

Mexico:
    Mexico:
    USA: New England Revolution
    USA: Chivas USA
    Costa Rica:
    Honduras:
    El Salvador:
    Quatamala:
    Panama:
    Panama:
    Canada: Winner of home and away tournament between Canadas top three clubs.
    Caribean: CFU Club Champion
    Caribean: CFU Club Champion Runner Up
    Caribean:
    Nicaragua:
    Belize:

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Saprissa already won the apertura title, its already qualified i guess

12. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is CR using the apertura 2007 or the Clausura 2008 as their automatic entry? I would assume the other is the qualifer? Any idea on how they are going to reslove that?

13. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i guess they should play a game between the apertura and clausura champion, but i am pretty sure saprissa is gonna win the clausura as well :cool:

14. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Kids just say the darnest things.

15. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Why not? Why would 1 spot hurt MLS? If anything by merit alone, you really only deserve 1.

Economically, it will be a good iead if MLS and Costa Rica gets 2 in the groups and 1 preliminary each.

When it comes down to it, we simply got robbed. Nothing more, nothing less.

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Here is your answer: Link.

When CR starst pulling numbers and money like FMF or US, then, yeah, I agree. Until then, you ain't got robbed. It's bidness.

17. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Oh, I am sorry that we are only a small Central American nation that has a population of 4 million. I guess that is enough reason for the greedy Americans to shit on us...

18. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    CON-CACA made the decision not the US Federal Government or some US entity. This is a sports industry. This is a bidness decision. $$$. CON-CACA is not making a philosophical decision about some ethical merit reg. the equality of nations. It's the bottom line, baby. Hoo-ha!

Welcome to the real world!

Next.

19. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a bunch of stupid crap. Should we be running some sort of soccer welfare program? The US and Mexico are putting up almost all of the money and the largest markets. I'm willing to bet more Ticos turn out to watch their club play in the US than turn out in Costa Rica. You don't like it. Go cry to the UN. This is how business is done. Mexico and the US have the best leagues. Naturally they get the most teams. If anything El Salvador shouldn't have 2 spots. They are one of the weakest pro leagues in the region.

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Wannabe Eurosnob, what makes you think your league is even better then ours? What have you won? Where are all of your glittering trophies?

And Ticos watching LA Galaxy and Beckam getting raped by some sorry MLCrap teams? We would rather watch our own league, thank you very much.

Once again, get off your high chair, Wannabe Eurosnob.

21. backwithblack

backwithblack Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Texas
    Is it possible for you to have a civil conversation with anyone?

22. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Why is the mls getting 4 spots ? I dont give a fuck if they put up money. Costa Rica should at least get 3. If the concacaf is serious about improving the leagues in our federation, then not giving Honduras and Costa Rica more than 2 spots is a bad move. I think they decide the first 2 seeded teams by who was the champion and the runner up of last seasons tournament...and the next 2 seeds by the seasons tournament.

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    THANK YOU!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SEES OUR POINT!!!

I understand the economic part ot the tournament. But when you compare our records since 2003 and see how lopsided they are, there should be no way MLS gets 4 while we get 2. The only ones who can rightly claim to have 4-5 spots is Mexico.

24. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    He never said MLS is better than your league so I don't get what you're on about. He's talking purely financials

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So when did you sell out?