CONCACAF Champion's League???

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Otaku, May 8, 2007.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sweeeeeeet group play would be awesome and give us more good soccer to watch :D

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Any news on this?

4. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unfortunately no. :(

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ya Concacaf is a well run organization.:rolleyes:

6. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I haven't seen this anywhere else, but Fernando Schwarz mentions in his latest column about the 24 team "Concachampions" to run from August 2008 through May 2009, with 6 groups of 4 teams each in a home-away format.
    http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n490503.htm

Also, from Concacaf itself:
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=4025

So one more CCC in spring 2008. And what about the amazing (unofficial) superliga??

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    dont we have a CONCACAF Champion's league already in effect. The best 8 teams from the MFL are about to start duking it out in the Liguilla. duhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    I doubt much can be done to make this region any more competitive. Before mexican teams would send in their 2nd stringers for the CONCACAF championship, but now that the winner goes to the FIFA Club World Cup, it became a little more interesting, my question is, with this new tournament, then what's the point of having a SuperLiga? Aside from making money from mexicans living in the U.S, I don't see much of a point in La SuperLiga.

9. ЯR

ЯR New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Morocco
    I heard about talks going on about how to integrate the Concacaf Champions into the ECC. If not just the MLS and MFL teams. Anyone else heard of this?

10. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sweeeeeeet this new format should make for better matches and alot better rivalries between MLS and MFL teams. Albeit many of you think that this is a waste of time for the MFL you gotta see that the MFL is in the CONCACAF region so there has to be tournament of some sorts to decide who is the best right? Also, yes we already have one to decide that but its too short of a tournament to really decide much and not many teams are included in em anyways.

11. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm all for this tournament. Its better then the current Champions Cup.

I expect one day for the Libertadores to cover North and South America though, and the Sudamericana to be the UEFA Cup equivalent.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hate it more games against MLS teams more time having to waste dealing with MLS fans.

13. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    ECC?

this is a stupid idea. i bet they're going to make our four best teams not play in the Copa libertadores and Sudamericana. we have nothing to gain by playing these horrible teams, except maybe a few injuries and undeeded fatigue. it was fine with eight teams, because there's not much competition beyond that...

14. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia.php?id_noticia=48266

i wonder if that's true. concacaf said 24 teams, medio tiempo has 32 teams with two group stages phases? if i'm understanding that correctly. kind of like the champions league before they went to knockout 2nd stage. that would be way too many games. also looks as if mexico will have 3 representatives.

a bit off topic, but mfl really needs to eliminate the liguilla and go to a single long season. this being one of the many reasons.

15. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It won't be accurate until something official comes out and says how many teams it will be. Maybe its under debate.

This would definitely be a reason to change to a long season format and maybe get a league cup

16. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Eliminate the liguilla? Hell no. We don't need to be like the Europeans.

17. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know how you feel but the Liguilla has many problems, the main one being that it doesn't matter if you work your ass off in the season because you can qualify 8th and still be champion. Its hard to keep up your level of play throughout the whole thing and make a good run in the play offs. Look at Santos, they had a great season but it could all be for nothing if they lose. I have my own problems with the long season format too but it tends to be more fair and reflect who actually played well the whole season.

18. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    too much fixture congestion. it's pretty stupid to have to see america or chivas play in south america one day, then have to play in a liguilla game the next.

it makes the regular season completely pointless, since most of the time, the team that finishes first doesn't win the liguilla. as otaku said, the 8th place team can win, hell, even the 10th place team can be called the champion of mexico. that's trash.

it'd ridiculous that half the teams make it in, too. also puts a lot of pressure on coaches to do well in a short amount of time. lose four games and you're fired. if there was a long season, things would be less hectic and maybe more coaches would actually try and develop young mexican talent, especially in the forward position, rather than going for the easy-fix foreigner for the sake of maintaining a job.

didn't mexico have a long season before? or am i mistaken? it wouldnt exactly be like we're trying to be european, even though leagues all around the world have the long season. i guess now we can say we're the same as MLS in that aspect.

19. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes Mexico did have a long season before.

20. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    And now there's a proposal to increase the number of teams in Primera from 18 to 20(specifically they want Culiacan and Tijuana) which will congest even more the schedule, I like the idea only if they go back to the long season schedule, and I actually like the liguilla, but I don't like the repechaje.........and now this shit known as the CONCACAF Champions League......:rolleyes:

21. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There's nothing more exciting that knock-out soccer. This isn't about fairness, it's about entertainment. And I'd rather send practice squads to this CONCACAF Champions League rather than have it interfere with the MFL Liguilla.

22. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Welcome back, where have you been?

23. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA