CONCACAF Champions League 09-10 Quarterfinals

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Paul Calixte, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone wants to make a general knock-out stage discussion thread, that would work as well. But since the schedules are only released one round at a time now, this will serve just for the four series coming up.

Schedule in chronological order: http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~1886149,00.html

First leg

Tuesday, March 9:

Columbus Crew (USA) vs. Toluca (MEX), 8 p.m.

Wednesday, March 10:

Marathón (HON) vs. Pumas UNAM (MEX), 8 p.m.
    Comunicaciones (GUA) vs. Pachuca (MEX), 10 p.m.

Thursday, March 11;

Árabe Unido (PAN) vs. Pachuca (MEX), 8 p.m.

Second leg

Tuesday, March 16:

Pachuca (MEX) vs. Comunicaciones (GUA), 10 p.m.

Wednesday, March 17:

Toluca (MEX) vs. Columbus Crew (USA), 8 p.m.
    Cruz Azul (MEX) vs. Árabe Unido (PAN), 10 p.m.

Thursday, March 18:

Pumas UNAM (MEX) vs. Marathón (HON), 10 p.m.

---

3 things to note for this stage:

- Before anyone asks: yes, the away-goals rule is in effect from here on in.
    - The good news for Arabe Unido is that they should be able to use the Estadio Rommel Fernández (capacity over 40,000) for the home leg of their series. The bad news, though, is that they'll have to play that game without their starting keeper Bejarano, who got sent off in their last group stage game against Pachuca.
    - And as you can see from the schedule, because of Mexican dominance in the group stage, the second week will feature four straight CCL games in Mexico.

Is the Champions League destined to become a mini-FMF liguilla? Or do you think that one of the non-Mexicans left has it in them to pull off an upset?
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. cool cat

cool cat New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I voted for Marathón to pull off the upset. It's not really a Champions League when all 4 clubs are from the same country.

3. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oops i messed up, I pickd Arabe unido when i should have pickd Marathon, anyway its gonna be Pachuca, Toluca, Maraton, Cruz azul.

4. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Columbus Crew is looking deadly in the off season.

5. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Another all Mexican semi-final.. Nothing new..

6. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    I think Pumas is going to field a weak team. I can see them losing. The others though, it's going to be tough for the underdogs. The strongest underdog, which might be Columbus, is going against maybe the strongest Mexican team in Toluca.

We'll see how it goes.

7. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

fyp

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks - I screwed up on that one. :eek:

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree.

If the 4 mexican teams advance because they are the best, then that is a good thing for the Concacaf Champions league. the best teams should advance regardless of where they are from.

I want to see the best level of football possible

I voted for the 4 mexican clubs, though I also give Marathon the best chance for the upset

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will probably be going to the Pachuca home game so I hope its a good match. Didn´t Pachuca play against Comunicaciones in the quarters of the CCC not too long ago? or was it municipal?

11. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Yea, but people want to see variety in their as well. They also want to see their teams in action. I'm expecting a ratings plunge if it's an all FMF final.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind an all FMF semifinal. :D

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 2008 Champions Cup, Pachuca won by beating Motagua, D.C. United, and Deportivo Saprissa. In the 2007 quarterfinals, Pachuca beat a Guatemalan club, but it wasn't Comunicaciones or Municipal. It was Deportivo Marquense.

13. cool cat

cool cat New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Like the another poster said, a Champions League provides variety. If I want to watch 4 Mexican teams (or 4 teams from any league) play each other, that's what the domestic league is for. Having teams from different leagues in the semi-finals would make it much more interesting.

14. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i agree,but its not FMFs fault that the rest of the teams cant compete at their level,the only realistic way that the CCL can have different teams in the finals in the near future is either "fixing" the tourney (the 4 mexican teams in a single group,etc) or only invite one or two mexican teams in the tourney (go back to CCC FORMAT) but then the tourney would lose the little prestige and credibility it has.

the rest of the leagues need to get better.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I still think having the best teams qualify and seeing the best football is more important than having weaker teams qualify just for the variety

16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thanks evanj, I thought they did play one of the 2 big guatemalan teams

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest news: in a deal between two quarterfinalists, Cruz Azul just bought "Chaco" Giménez from Pachuca. Unfortunately, that's the last we'll see of him in the CCL for this year, since he's cup-tied after playing in both legs of Pachuca's prelim series with Deportivo Jalapa (GUA).

In tribute, his epic goal against Houston Dynamo from the old CCC (0:41):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjtHkpoKF8"]YouTube- Pachuca 5 - Houston Dynamo 2 Semifinal Campeones de Concacaf[/ame]

Also, his goal against Al-Ahly from the subsequent CWC (5:00):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMR7DJLPVcE"]YouTube- AL AHLY 2 - 4 PACHUCA ---- MUNDIAL DE CLUBES ---- viernes 12 de diciembre[/ame]

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more, just 'cause he's that balla :D

Chaco vs. Deportivo Jalapa (4:00; he also scored in the second leg)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH3CtA6djRw"]YouTube- Pachuca vs Jalapa 3-0 CONCACAF Liga de Campeones 2009 ESPN[/ame]

And this entire video of him taking a dump on Necaxa:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMYR0xcT2M"]YouTube- GOL CHRISTIAN CHACO GIMENEZ JORNADA 11 CLAUSURA 2009 PACHUCA VS NECAXA[/ame]

19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

thanks for all the great info you give out usafan12. I was about to ask what was chaco´s situation in the CCl. I´d give you rep but I must spread rep first

Cruz Azul is building a badass team. Its just too bad they will continue to lose finals :D

I said it the beginning, Cruz Azul will reach the final of the CCL 09-10 and lose it to Toluca :D

20. fmf22

fmf22 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    I see these Semi finals:

Pachuca - Toluca
    Maraton - Cruz Azul

I wouldn't be surprised to see Columbus Crew beat Toluca though. Another thing too. There is one interesting thing from having all of the FMF teams reach the finals. REMATCHES! Cruz Azul could get another crack at Toluca.

21. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just so they can archive another SubCampeonato and continue their tradition as the SubCapeonisimos!.

22. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey, hey, hey!!!

we'll win one someday :D

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would be. Losing Schelotto takes almost all of Columbus's creative flair from them. I don't even see that series being close, nor do I see, short of massive upgrades, Columbus making it out of the group stages in 2010-11.

24. fmf22

fmf22 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Well that may have an impact, but I felt as if he was a hit or miss player during games. He either played well or he completely sucked, if they put in a more consistent player who really wants to play and prove himself... Toluca did not end this semester well. Toluca only won 4 of their last 10 games in the season. Only 1 win in the playoffs and they only passed to Semi's due to the rule FMF made up to favor stronger teams. Toluca has been having trouble and eve though they don't see it yet, Israel Lopez' absence is gonna affect them even more.

25. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt that

After the failure that was the domestic season, the pressure is on tuca.
    A mix squad is likely but it would not surprise me to see pumas field most of the starters