Compliance Question--Off-season Activities

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by latearriving, Jan 1, 2018.

1. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    There seem to be a number of coaches and other NCAA-knowledgeable posters here, and I wonder if someone could help me understand the interpretation/application of an NCAA rule regarding optional activities (outside of championship season).

I understand that coaches are not supposed to seek out information about optional practices led by players, in terms of what activities occurred, who performed well or poorly, or even who did or did not attend. Further, I understand that even if they come into possession of such information, coaches may not use it to make decisions/judgments affecting the playing status of any athletes on the team. I may be a little vague on the details, but I believe I have the gist of the rule correct. (I'm sure someone will let me know if not.)

The situation involves a D1 player and a conversation between her current college coach and a third party. My question stems from a statement made by the college coach expressing doubts about the player's future in the program and questioning her commitment to soccer, giving as evidence her lack of attendance at optional practices held since season's end. Setting aside the most-likely-unprovable belief held by several players that one of the captains has been instructed to report attendance at each optional practice to the HC, would the coach's statement above violate the NCAA rule at all? If so, does the player have any recourse?

(In case you are wondering, I have no relation to the player; the situation was described to me by an acquaintance of the parties.)

2. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Optional is rarely optional and many coaches walk the fine line in abusing this. Some coaches see spring as development and realize that kids need a break while maintaining skills and fitness, but male sure it's, fun. Others push via captains and trainers to the max and of course who likes who unfortunately plays into it. Unprofessional imho and glad my kids are out of today's college soccer.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The coach may just be expressing how well the player is keeping up with players who are maintaining fitness. If you are out of shape it shows when you can’t keep up. Coaches are allowed a couple hours a week with players.

It’s not any different than a music director being able to tell if you rehearsed at home or not. ( I used to keep my lacrosse sticks in my trombone case.).

Here is no restriction on training. Players can train with the college training and fitness staff all they want.
    The trainers are not allowed to communicate results or amount of training individual players do to the coaching staff. Players can also seek out their own trainers. Coaches can also recommend a training regimen, but can’t enforce it.

And in any good team, captains and seniors show the amount of training the younger players need to do to stay competitive by example. And the coaches use the five playing days and the few hours of coaching allowed to keep players interested, and hopefully a chance for the next classes of players to develop. Those times are audition for starting slots in the next season.

I not believe there is any restriction on coaches talking to captains, except about their own training - only to professional training staff.

A player not interested in offseason training should perhaps consider D3, though even there she could loose ground to players who train or play offseason sports.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    A lot of this info is on track. If the coach didn't like or wanted to demote the player, drop them or drop their scholarship, they certainly could not site their lack of commitment to 'unofficial' off-season activities.
    However-
    -never assume the coaches don't know everything. College kids can't keep secrets and are not immune from exaggerating to slam an unwanted teammate.
    -if the coach doesn't like the player for some particular reason they can't quantify, i.e. attitude, effort, seems not to be loyal, then that player had better make sure all the things that can be quantified are spot-on: on-time for meetings, fitness measures, study hall attendance, etc. In other words, cya if you're on the coaches shit list. (familiar in any sour boss-worker relationship)

Big question though - why is the player going through this? why is she viewed as not committed? If there's something going wrong in the player-coach relationship- go in the office and address it or maybe get out of there. There are reasons to hang in there I guess, you need the money and have one year to go, or whatever, but if the player is not happy and coach has lost confidence in her, consider getting out on your own terms. Otherwise, be quiet and do all the little things needed to keep your money/standing in the program.

ref17 repped this.
  5. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    As I recall....8 hours per week to include: strength & conditioning.

No such thing as a "Captain's Practices"

ref17 repped this.
  6. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Call them what you want “Captains practices” are real and happen all the time

ref17 repped this.
  7. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I know they exist...what I meant to point out is that some coaches out there still use this one, and do not write in on their CARA logs. I know they happen....far too much!!

ref17 and Glove Stinks repped this.
  8. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. I sorta figured that this sort of thing probably happens regularly and there's not much to be done about it.

9. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Maybe playing D1 soccer is too much for her.
    Club team might be a better fit

10. latearriving

latearriving New Member

I have no favorites
    England
    Oct 29, 2017
    Hmm. Wow. Yes, yes, I'm sure that's it. Again, wow. Thanks for contributing so much to the discussion. Honestly, I'm not sure how we've at all managed without your wisdom.

FWIW, I don't know the referenced player personally, but from what I understand, you could not have missed the mark by a wider margin. But then that happens when you just try to be cute rather than advance a conversation.