Compare the legacies of the US goalkeepers in the Premier League over the last 25 years

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Dec 30, 2018.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Keller, Friedel, Hahnemann, Howard and Guzan have all appeared in the PL. In fact during the 07-08 keeper, 4 of those 5 were starting for their respective clubs. On any given weekend, you'd have 20% of the starting keepers in the Premier League being from the US. There were a few other US keepers who appeared for a season or two in the top division (in the 90's). Both Friedel and Howard have over 100 cleansheets in the Premier League. Friedel has had 6 seasons where he had at least 13 cleansheets (with 1 season where he notched 16). Howard's had many seasons where he proved he was probably the best keeper not playing at a CL club. The likes of Cech and Van Der Sar in the league (as well as Reina) def kept him out of the awards on best keeper for years.

I'd imagine Keller is underrated by sorts due to having spent less time in the Premier League and also having played a lot there in the 90's when many US fans started watching in the 2000's (and became fascinated by Friedel and later Howard).

whose had the best season of any Yank keeper in the PL? Hahnemann's first season in the PL with Reading comes to mind as a worthy nominee.

Is Guzan more of a comical figure than someone whose commanded respect in the Premier League? It would appear the consecutive relegations have hindered his reputation after his early years of excellence at AV.

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at some individual awards first...

- Friedel was in the EPL's 2002-03 Best XI for his play with Blackburn. Howard would go on to win it the next year while playing for ManU.
    - Guzan won Aston Villa's POTY 2012-13 for helping avoid relegation. Probably his personal best as far as run of play.
    - Transfermarkt has Keller winning Leicester's POTY in 1997. Howard won Everton's in 2008 and 2014, apparently.

A while back I got some graphs from goalimpact on American gks. Basically an Elo-style way to rate players based on how their team did when they were on the field. Unfortunately never got Marcus Hahnemann's from him for some reason : /
    I believe the lighter red line is the player's overall rating, while the heavier red line is their current form. It was supposed to be for an article but the whole thing kinda fell apart.

It's hard to really rate them in any specific order. People will downplay Friedel's records because he was playing for weaker teams but he was good enough to start for Tottenham when he was 40. So he's always been my number one. But Howard and Keller certainly did well, although Keller's club career was a little more erratic. And honestly I'd put Hahnemann over Guzan. Guzan had a handful of really good years but that was it. Really took a dip after that.

What say you?

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Looks like that's saying Keller was Player of the Year at three separate clubs (Leicester, Rayo Vallacano, and Borussia Monchengladbach).

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Pretty impressive as it looks like he played only 28 of the 38 league matches his first season. But they finished 10th and qualified for the UEFA Cup; so probably added to his being awarded.

5. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel was Blackburn's Player of the Year for the 02-03 season. Blackburn was 4th in the Premiership in goals allowed that year, despite the fact that their defense was fairly pedestrian. I would consider that the strongest individual performance by a Yank keeper in the PL, though you could make strong arguments for Keller and Howard as well.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I wouldn't trust transfermarket.

Pretty sure that Keller didn't win player of the year at Leicester.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think sometimes we overlook Marcus Hahnemann's contribution in the same era.

He played over 350 games in England between Fulham, Rochdale, Reading, and Wolves. And of course he led Reading to promotion (along with Bobby Convey) in 05-06.

His resume is dwarfed by Howard, Friedel, Keller......................but he was a really good keeper. One could have a legitimate debate of Guzan versus Hahnemann for 4th in my mind.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I have no doubt that if we had an in-prime Hahnemann last cycle, he would have been our starting keeper, and probably still would be today. He had the misfortune of playing for the USMNT during a period when we had anywhere from two to four other keepers starting in the top leagues at any given point in time.

9. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahnemann was very unlucky to be playing in the Friedel/Keller era. For my money, he was better than Guzan.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd concur. He saved Wolves' butt back in that 09-10 season. I'm sure he could have signed for a few clubs as a no.2 when he left Wolves back in 2011.

Very underrated.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/2069/Marcus-Hahnemann/stats

11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He was picked up by Everton after he left Wolves. Just never played a game for them.......................

He came back to MLS at the right time. He started his career with the Sounders and ended his career with the Sounders.

He had fewer caps than Juergen Sommer. Sommer is probably a completely unknown to many newer fans. He was a really solid keeper who played for Luton. When people think of Luton now, they think of nothingness. But Jurgen Sommer played for Luton when they were in the old 1st division..............or the pre-Premier League top division in England. Unfortunately, he was there for the Luton decline. [Roy Wegerle played for them too, but I'm not sure they overlapped.] Also played a whole lot for QPR [As did, come to think of it, Roy Wegerle.]

Juergen Sommer was actually a member of two World Cup teams (94 and 98). I was a big fan of the team back then, and even I can't remember a single one of his USMNT games.

He had a bunch of knee problems when he moved back to MLS (actually moved to the Crew when Friedel left for Liverpool). His time as a USMNT candidate effectively ended.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Transfermarkt shows he played at least a full season in the OK with QPR. They also list Ian Feuer with a few PL matches. But both seem to have gotten a ton of 2nd division matches. Our goalkeepers have been in England almost thirty years. I wonder if it was just cultural similarities or maybe less competition that appealed to them. Cause I recall England didn't start getting tons of dough until the end of the 90s.

and it's remarkable how tall both Sommer and Feuer were. 6'5 and 6'7.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All of those guys had Euro passports. So did Marcus Hahnemann.

I think it was actually Sommer who was the first US-born keeper to play in the Premier League itself. I think that was 1995 with QPR. Could be wrong about that.

It took a while for the keepers without Euro passports to make an inroads. Brad Friedel was denied a work permit on four occasions (trying to sign for Newcastle, Forest, Sunderland, and Liverpool)!!!! After first being denied a work permit to go to Liverpool, he finally got one on appeal. And off he went.

Brad Friedel, like a number of our players in that pre-MLS 1990-1995 era, was actually under contract with the USSF for a while instead of a club. He basically played exclusively for the USMNT until the 94 World Cup.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Maybe I'm way late, but why didn't Meola play in Serie A or B? His dad was Italian I believe. Surely he could have gotten an Italian passport and he did feature at the 1990/94 WC; someone might have taken a risk on signing him.

16. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sommer was great. He was kind of the leading edge of our first wave of quality keepers.