Community Shield: Sounders vs Rapids (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: Seattle Sounders vs. Colorado Rapids
    Where: Qwest Field, Seattle, WA
    When: 7:00 PM, Wednesday, March 9
    Watch: KONG 6/16
    Listen: *snicker* You funny

The Sounders are certainly in trouble after a series of dismal performances by in this past weekend's Cascadia Summit in which, yet again, the Sounders dominated the play of the game, out shot their opponent, had more set piece opportunities, etc, etc, but came up empty in the game against Portland, and came up short in the Vancouver game. Even worse, the problems didn't stop on the offensive portion of the field. Two defensive lapses in the Portland game resorted in two goals, while the Vancouver game was nothing but defensive lapses. Plus side, Erik Friberg had a stand-out performance in both games and there are quite a few hoping that Friberg will dislodge Evans as starting CM in this game.

The Rapids are 2W-1D-1L so far this pre-season scoring a total of 6 goals and giving up 3 in those 4 games and being blanked twice. The Rapids are coming off their first MLS Cup Championship and are looking to repeat the performance of their league rivals by proving their doubters wrong and becoming one of the best teams this season. The Sounders will also see familiar faces on the opposing bench as both Tyrone Marshall and Sanna Nyassi are now playing for the Rapids. Based on recaps for the Rapids games it looks like Nyassi is fighting for a starting spot, while Marshall is definitely riding the pine.

2. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yoshou's guaranteed to be wrong line-up is:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Nkufo, Montero, Zakuani, Evans, Alonso, Fernandez, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Parke, Riley, Keller[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I'm going to guess some midgame subs starting around the 60th minute with White coming in for Nkufo, Friberg for Evans or Fernandez, Rosales for the person left after Friberg's sub and maybe a Ford or Meredith sub for Keller.

I'd also like to point out that I'd prefer Friberg over Evans just to see how Friberg does with the first team and to give the Sounders someone that can actually take free kicks...

3. soundersriot

soundersriot BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There, made that happen for you.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Hey now, predicted line-up and preferred line-up are two different things. :) Predicted I'm trying to read Sigi's mind. Prefered, I just have to read mine.. Granted, my mind can be quite maze like, but I think I can navigate it much easier than I can navigate Sigi's.

5. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree.

6. soundersriot

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well Yoshou it looks like your predicted line-up will probably be right on. According to Mayers, Friberg was with the second team 11v11 today.

Also, the club declined the option to purchase Montano so he remains on "trial". I wonder if that's related to Rosales at all?

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If we buy montano which means we are paying a transfer fee then he is no longer a off-budget player which makes him a senior player. Montano only 19 and making between 100-200k (guessing) for what he shows us last year i don't think so.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not going to be Montano's salary that would push him into the "on budget roster", it would be the transfer fee. Montano could very well be making only $42k this season and still be on the senior roster because his transfer fee and how it is spread out across the life of the contract. Kind of like how Fernandez is making $300k, but is still labeled a DP because of his $1 million transfer fee.

That being said, I'm sure Rosales plays a part in the Sounders not buying Montano. By denying the buy option on the loan the Sounders can get Rosales and, hopefully, get a new loan w/buy agreement with Montano's home team for this season. If the Sounders hadn't wanted to get Rosales, they very well could have bought out his contract and brought him into the fold.

9. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Montano is not worth a transfer fee though at least right now imo.

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how much the transfer fee is. If they want $100k, I'd say snap him up. If they want much more than that, then push it off for another year.

11. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Even at 100k transfer fee that would be pushing it for me that would be like paying paying someone that just been drafted as a non GA player to a 142k contract.

I'm not convinced that we should yet though. Montano needs to prove that he is worth a transfer fee then i'll agree to the idea.

12. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think we see our true starting 11. It sounds like we're still trying to figure out if certain guys are gonna make the cut. I think those guys, mixed with guys who need the fitness, will play the most.

13. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think our starting 11 is pretty much been decided with only one potential change that can happen. Friberg for Evans.

14. soundersriot

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dunno, I think we'll see the starting XI for sure just based on what Sigi had to say about the match...

And I really don't think they're still trying to figure out who (except the rookie keepers) makes the cut at this point. I'd imagine the only thing left to settle are options and contract negotiations for Noonan, Montano, and Rosales.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer fees are spread out over the life of a contract. So if the sounders paid a 100k and got Montano for a 4 year, the transfer fee would be 25k per season. *shrug* The kid is immature, but he's got loads of potential. I don't see a problem with him being on the senior roster, just not at the expense of the Sounders having to cut someone (or not sign someone) to keep him.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adrian mentioned that some of the reserves may have worked their way onto the starting roster. *shrug* If I were Evans, I'd be really worried right about now. If there is any player on the Sounders that is "expendable" it is him. Even coming off a season ending injury Evans has a lot of value on the trade market. If the Sounders bring in Rosales, Evans might be the odd man out.

17. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    We should see how much $$$ Columbus or Dallas would give us for Evans. Both teams are under budget and could use the depth. If I'm not mistaken, Columbus fans were sad to see him go, and that was when they had the deepest squad in the league.

18. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  19. Ciscokid

Ciscokid Member

May 3, 2008
    Reno NV now. UGH
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans has a lot of trade value because he has a lot of value, including to the Sounders. Look, he's not a 10, but WHEN HEALTHY he has proven to be an important contributor. I could be wrong but I don't think it will be an either/or situation for Evans on the roster.

20. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My problem with Evans is that our entire team's play has evolved since his fateful trip to the Gold Cup in 2009, and he wasn't along for the ride. He just doesn't fit. That's why we saw Sturgis progress so well last year, he was taking all of Evans' minutes and he has a very sharp mind for playing one-touch... Just no size or athleticism, but was still a piece that did his job-- Alonso wins a tackle, pass to Sturgis, distribute up, wide, or back to counter or at least maintain possession.

He will do well somewhere, just not here. We have too many formations and personnel that are better off without him.

21. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And relating to Yoshou's predicted line-up Josh has posted the lineups in the two scrimmage teams today, and it looks like Evans is with the first team sill and Friberg with the second.

Evans has been away from game time with the team for a long time, and at this point we've seen him in about 60 minutes actual game this year (in which he didn't do much at all). I for one am still willing to watch him in another preseason game before passing any judgements. After all, Sigi is a **ckload smarter than me about these things and he still believes.

22. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    On an off-hand note, can someone describe Tetteh's play from the Couver game? I missed the 1st half and did not realize he was on the field until 5 min before he subbed out... It looks like he was playing left wing? The guys around me seemed upbeat.

The news about Montaño now being "on trial" has me sad, and a little pissed depending on how much dead weight we keep on the roster.

23. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea Tetteh was playing LW.

Well would you rather seattle paid a potentially a large transfer fee (unknown how much it actually would be) for montano which would ended him on the senior roster which means 42k+ transfer fee onto the cap budget resulting in Seattle possible cutting maybe 2-3 players or so and preventing Seattle from signing Rosales.

Just cause seattle declined buy option doesn't mean Montano's day is done in seattle. Probably there will be a new loan agreement.

Heck Noonan may be gone anyways regardless of montano remains on the team or not.

24. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Tetteh was OK. He made some nice runs, but lost the ball pretty easily. Honestly, I'd describe his play as "nervous". I think he was trying to do too much. Impress Sigi, impress the fans, and in the end looked overwhelmed. But he did show flashes of his potential and I can see why we drafted him. Just don't expect anything for a couple years.

25. soundersriot

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

He looked pretty good. You could definitely tell he's a rook. He seemed a little overwhelmed at times and it looks like he's still adjusting to the pace of the game at this level. But he's good on the ball and seems to have good tactical awareness. You can definitely see the plus side. He looks to have some fire and grit in him too as evidenced by some of his tackles.

I wouldn't worry too much about Montaño. It looks like he'll be staying with the same free loan deal that we had last year.