Commentary post-game

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 11, 2016.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    It was interesting to hear the color commentators on ESPN deride the lack of quality of play in the final and particularly Portugal's lack of attacks (calling to mind Jorge Valdano's comment that playing football against a team that refuses to attack is like making love to a tree).

I think there is a simple cause. Penalties. That system of breaking ties encourages teams to play it cautious, reluctant to attack, figuring they can either try to luck out a goal or take their chances on a penalty kick shootout.

I don't think it is a coincidence that, since the advent of penalties in the World Cup in '82 and Euro in '76 that the number of low-scoring games in big matches has soared.

Prior to 1990, no WC final ended in a shutout. Since 1990 not one final has produced a game where both teams scored in the run of play. When 2018 arrives it will be 16 years since a goal was scored in regulation in a WC final other than off a set piece. The reality is that penalties drives strategy too much.

2. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately it'll take drastic measures to greatly lessen the chance of a PK shootout. And I seriously doubt FIFA will make the changes necessary to do that and I don't blame them. FIFA can tweak rules here and there, but will it make a significant difference? They can make the goals bigger, a drastic change, but do we really want that even though more goals will be scored?
    Each team should get an extra time sub. And what do you think of a points system change like Win=4pts, Draw=2pts, Goalless Draw=1pt? I feel it'll encourage more attacking play in the group stage.

3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I think the post game comments from most of the ESPN commentators were so wrong and stupid. It was a strategy that worked. Portugal played a tactical/smart game taking out France's best players while Portugal did create chances and scored on one of them.

Most of the North American and English media just has a hate for Portugal and it showed.

GoodDead repped this.
  4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doesn't matter if it's England, USA or Canada the commentators for every tournament since 2000 always belittle us and give us zero credit. It's pretty disgusting, especially when you hear them drone on and on about everyone else no matter how crap they actually are.

"Portugal has Ronaldo only" is always the best line. Clear that they watch zero qualifiers and refuse to watch youth tournaments. Yet they are supposed experts :rolleyes:

artielange84 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  5. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup! This is so true.

6. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyone who says Portugal was playing for penalties didn't watch us play

Just because you prioritize defending and do it well doesn't mean you were playing for the draw.

The clowns on TV are looking to do their job which is generate talking points and somehow be remembered more than the actual players on the pitch

I automatically zone out during the pre match, halftime and post match reports just cause I'm so used to people talking shit without any basis

Portugal have always been on the receiving end of this bullshit

Finally the haters will keep quiet

Champions

GoodDead repped this.