Coming power shift

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Holmes12, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014

2. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Sorry but just catching up and couldn't let this go by. In the past 6 years Duke has made it to the College Cup final twice and the round of eight three additional times. I would think that puts them in the ranks of very few elite programs over that period. Only one SEC team made it to the Final Four in that period.

3. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very hard to understand why any ACC school would move to the SEC (Soccer wise) since almost none of the SEC schools have Men's Soccer, which would then force the SEC to add a womens sport or drop a different mens sport.. Yes they have football money to spend on nice training and game facilities, etc.. but in the end of the day, its the quality of soccer that keeps people coming out to watch the games. Its great for the game if the SEC gets good, its better if some of the smaller conferences are able to compete with the P5 year in year out..

4. redd38

redd38 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    An ACC school would move to the SEC because of money. Their men's soccer teams would just play in a different conference, like the other SEC schools with men's soccer.

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The idea that some ACC schools would move to the SEC continues to baffle me. As far as I know there will be no changes for at least ten or so years given the TV contracts. And I do not buy that the major driving factor for prying an ACC team loose to join the SEC is simply football money. I think that ACC schools have other priorities other than just money.

6. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #31 Holmes12, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    This is before the ACC Network thing (which I now question as the ESPN networx broadcast bubble is maybe not bursting, but deflating...CBS will always be there for the SEC) and shows that money is the driving issue, to UNC anyway.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...06/north-carolina-acc-sec-big-ten-realignment

Even beyond money, UNC has to see the prestige value of "decoupling" from "rivals" to become the only in-state SEC. Look what it did for forgotten road apple A&M. UNC is already in state pole-position so it's looking at the situation more from Austin's point of view...what can not jumping do to ya.

The SEC is obsessed with AAU membership now since the B10 always brags about it. With it's colors and brand, UNC could dictate the terms. NC State is trying to get in the AAU, If they do, they could become the state's A&M. If I were UNC, i wouldn't let them.

7. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #32 bigwest, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    No schools are going to leave the ACC, if anything, Notre Dame will eventually join it in Football as well. ACC competes year in year out in the most popular sports - Football, Basketball (M/W)... eventually, the ACC will upgrade their sports facilities. but the Draw of the ACC isn't just sports, academically, they are better institutions than most of the SEC schools. Soccerwise, they offer consistently better competition from top to bottom.

Additionally, when will colleges address the team first approach, I realize its great to have splash signings of YNT or recognized players, but that doesn't equate to building a cohesive team in all situations. For quite a few of these YNT kids, they have been told for years how Special, or wonderful they are. So when they get on campus, they bring that attitude with them and it might explain why some of these "high recruiting classes" fizzle out in college. I, personally, love watching "unknown" teams come out and beat those teams who just expected to win.

Lastly, with the US U19 and U20 WNTs being handled by the U20 Japan team, when will enough be enough with US Soccer. Wholesale Systematic changes need to happen, most importantly, Scouting and training, Coaching is still an issue, as Ellis has been outcoached quite often. We are being passed by a few countries but US Soccer seemingly doesn't see the problem. Taller, Bigger players don't equate to wins always. Chemistry and Skill are greater things to have.

StrikerMom repped this.
  8. redd38

redd38 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Last year the SEC got $40.5 million per school. The ACC got $26.3 million per school. You don't think a school like NC State would jump if given the chance? I agree that nothing is going to happen soon though, will be several years before any more major realignment.

9. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Maryland left the ACC and joined the Big 10 (or whatever it is called nowadays) strictly for the money. Still, the P5 conferences are more than big enough already. The last thing they need is more additions.

10. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, Maryland was Deeply in debt and needed that cash influx. Their AD ran the athletic program into the ground. Not many of the other ACC schools are in that same situation, specially not UNC.

11. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #36 Holmes12, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    It concerns UNC...from http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...06/north-carolina-acc-sec-big-ten-realignment...

Joe Frierson, a financial adviser from Athens, Ga., and a former UNC tennis player and assistant tennis coach, wrote Cunningham on Dec. 7, 2012, about a lunch meeting Frierson had with an SEC athletic director.

"He said the SEC pays out around $20 (million per) team right now," Frierson wrote. "Thinks it will approach $35 (million per team) when TV contract is renegotiated in a couple of years.

"He said the SEC just signed a contract for the Sugar Bowl (between teams from the SEC and Big 12) for 2015 that will pay $40 (million) to each conference. ... That is ridiculous money."

Cunningham's response was short and direct: "It really concerns me. If these trends continue I'm not sure how the ACC (can) compete financially."

========================================

Granted, before the ACC Network but i don't see how that makes much inroads in the discrepancy. This is my humble one guy opinion but having been to UMCP and UNC recently, in terms of facilities, UMCP has better stuff now. They'll never outsell the heel brand, legacy, location, environs, natural turf, etc, but, overall, the post-B10 brick/mortar stuff is better than UNC. There are certain things better at UNC, the baseball stadium, for example, but talking broad money distribution across all programs. What a force in football UNC could be and possibly a dynasty in basketball with SEC dough. K would be forced into retirement. Makes me wonder about Duke support within the NCAA, UNC move would destroy Duke atheltics.

There's also NC State. i remember where the Virginia legislature basically held UVA up on something in order to bribe the ACC to admit Va Tech. i think something similar could occur with State and UNC. The ACC/SEC won't take them both though, so big decision, big battles.

12. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, get ready. 20 years from now (or less) there will be 4 (maybe 5, but I doubt it) major conferences with 16-20 schools as your "Division I"...if they don't pull away from the NCAA as a whole.

This exists in other states, as well. OU would LOVE to be in the SEC, but due to Oklahoma Legislature (and the fact that OSU/OU are actually part of the same board of higher education) OU can only jump if they take Ok State with them.

13. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    you guys are forgetting there's no professional path for women's soccer to make a good living. If anything Vanderbilt
    leaving the SEC to join ACC for women's soccer would help their program more than ACC schools leaving for SEC.
    Women's soccer is about getting a good education. The WNBA has about three times the TV audience per game as the single women's NWSL game on once a week, has much larger fan attendance, and even then their best players make 100K a year. I think NWSL is like 30K. In the long run I don't see how the GDA banning high school soccer is going to ingrain soccer into US "culture". women's soccer affecting re-alignment is insane. They only thing that is generally true is that the number of similar soccer players in the US is getting bigger and therefore games will be more competitive between the "good" historically and not as good teams. I think the strategy of US soccer to make it more "cultural" in the US as jurgen klinsman talked about is counteracted by making it more of an exclusive club sport not played at high levels in schools.

14. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Conference realignment has more to do with global warming that Women's Soccer. It is a non-factor. It is a TV market/Football/Money play.

15. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    I'd agree, and young women choosing a college based on soccerfacilities rather than educational benefit is nuts.

16. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I think the "based on educational benefit" is a funny argument. Every D3 advocate is going to get on here and say that the private school education is a superior product. Outside of the TRULY elite academic (MIT, Harvard, Yale) schools, whats the difference between Michigan, Central Michigan, Western MIchigan, Grand Valley etc? Some magazine talking about research grants awarded?

This is their pro sports. Let them enjoy it if they are good enough

17. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Honestly that's how we looked at it. My kid is interested in playing sports first and the sports industry second. A big time sports school has huge alumni networks and she is already getting comments from unpredictable places regarding her future school (we are 600 miles away) when she's wearing a shirt or hat bearing her intended school's colors and heading. Amazed at how far reaching the network extends. Nope the big schools have a ton to offer on and off the field and for the academic elite, there is always the honors college.

18. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    At the risk of getting in trouble for posting I have to disagree with this. It isn't even a close argument that a degree from some non-Vanderbilt SEC school has more to offer than let's say a Stanford, Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame etc. Honors college at Arkansas isn't even in the same conversation as the academic rigor at the top academic schools. You don't need to overstate things in order to justify your family's choice of schools. If it is right for your family that is all that matters but don't put lipstick on a pig...

And not to judge a family's choices of sports first but we are talking about girls soccer and unless your name is Sanchez, Smith, Pinto or Howell the odds of getting your player fast tracked to the WNT where she could actually make money playing soccer is a pretty long shot with an average of 2 players or less per birth year in the WNT pool stretched out over the 13 birth years that they cover.

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think it comes down to if someone wants to go to an SEC school or even ACC etc the you are probably for the most part looking at a similar level of education. So for an athlete choosing between an Arkansas/ Alabama/ duke/Notre dame the way to go about it is which coach sells them best. These schools are close enough in reputation that if you graduate from one of them you're probably getting a good job

20. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry but the notion that Arkansas and Auburn are in the same stratosphere as Notre Dame, Duke, and Stanford is absurd. Would think even grads of Arkansas or Auburn would tell you that.

21. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don't know. Football schools, SEC schools, pop on resumes. Especially playing a sport there. It's like an ex-pro athlete...even if you spend a few days in 1993 on the Buffalo Bills, people are enamored.

22. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Holmes is a troll if you haven't figured that out already. He posts a bit of factual content and then tries to be the Skip Bayless of this Forum by saying something controversial and then enjoys sitting back and watching everyone freak out over his claims. It works too, many take his bait instead of ignoring it, so we need to stop giving him the reaction he craves. Case in point to his tactics is this quote:

Nobody thinks Walker at OSU is terrific, most can't believe she still has a job. He likes to plant these in a the middle of a post so people will rage out against this nonsense. There is no way he thinks Walker is terrific!

23. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #48 Holmes12, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    What's so "controversial" about name recognition on resumes? Put a soccer player from University of Alabama against a soccer player from D3 private liberal arts for a phys ed job...the Alabama is through the initial screening, the other, not guaranteed. "Did you ever see Nick Saban?" the male hiring guy on the panel might ask.

and, yeah, what I say about ex-pro athletes is true, true, true. People want them in their midst, opens doors, especially in marketing...and especially a Bronco. Look at the Papa johns pizza guy. He bought Peyton Manning's "friendship" for millions. If you hire Steve Sewell as personal trainer, that puts you only two degrees from John Elway!

and how dare you speak for everybody on Walker. Go back to the Colorado thread if you got a problem, I don't care about that.