Come Klose so I can see you: Miroslav to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by tomásbernal, Sep 11, 2013.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a little old to really make an impact or justify the salary, but Klose is one of my favorite players ever. I'd love to see it happen.

xtomx and vividox repped this.
  3. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klose would be a great addition to the league, even at his age. He's still one of the best strikers in Serie A and starts for Germany.

Just look at Marco Di Vaio. As long as speed was never a big part of their games (and it hasn't been for Klose), they can still excel into their mid-thirties. Klose is twice the player Di Vaio is

4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    scored what, 15 goals in Serie A last year? and IIRC didn't play full season due to injury.

as long as he can stay healthy, I think Klose will do well. though question is whether he still wants to compete, or go to MLS for last paycheck

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Klose so far is doing well at Lazio but if he comes to MLS after the WC, he will be 36 years old and 2 months and will only play 3 months and then won't play again until March 2015 when he will almost be 37. Kind of a dumb move in my opinion.

6. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But his game does not rely on speed. He's a better Di Vaio(currently 37) whose an opportunist that rely's on being at the right place at the right time.

7. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i think di vaio is a little more technical, which also helps as the years pass by.

8. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    And Klose talked mainly about returning to the Bundesliga to see out his career.. at least in German media.

9. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be awesome to have Klose in MLS... as long as it's not on a DP contract. At 36, he wouldn't be worth that kind of money.

Then he could come to the Galaxy and they would have Donovan, Keane, and Klose... three of the top four active international goal-scorers.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    As long as he can jump and jog around he will score 10+ goals a year.

Dude is unbelievable in the air.

Ghosting repped this.
  11. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    dude scored 15 goals in Serie A last season, and he didn't play full season.

as long as he's healthy, I think Marco di Vaio (and Nesta) proved that you should be wary about judging old geezer Serie A vets

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All over 33., the age of Christ. Maybe that is a good Omen?:)

Ghosting repped this.
  13. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as someone wrote above, the leading scorer in MLS is 37 years old, so I do not see why Klose could not do the same as a DP.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #15 falvo, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    This league needs over 25's not over 35's already! I'm Italian -American and I love DiVaio and follow the Serie A , Klose , Totti and DiNatale and I'm sure they can all easily play well in MLS but its just not a great solution to keep signing 36 year old players year in and year out. I mean seriously, how long will they last (not even including injuries) and how long can fans (home and abroad) identify with an over 35 league? Even Nesta has played sparingly and announced before the start of the season that he is 90% sure he will not play next season and he misses many games so I mean, we hardly knew him and what good is that? If we have to spend the money anyway, I'd rather sign lesser known younger players with not much of a name instead of these aging superstars. Its not a viable option in my opinion to keep pointing to these guys and I think Garber & Co should start recognizing this.

In Italy there is a saying, "LARGO AI GIOVANI" or rather "GIVE ROOM FOR THE YOUNG"!

This is the route MLS should take.....

PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  16. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different players fall off the age cliff at different times. Nesta hasn't been great. Henry has fallen off the cliff in the last year. DiVaio still has it. Klose still has it as well, and could hold on for a couple more years. Signing a player that age is a risk, but it can pay off, and it doesn't preclude having a ton of youth... which MLS DOES have. The number of players under the age of 23 that are excelling in the league is very respectable.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 goals and 8 assists is falling off the cliff?

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean after all these years and all the aging stars who have come through NY turnstiles, they will finally win something? Wow , that would be great to see!

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean after all these years and all the aging stars who have come through NY turnstiles, they will finally win something? Wow , that would be great to see!

20. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough... it just seems that he was so far out ahead his fist couple of years in the league. He seems to have come back to the pack.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #21 falvo, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    $5 million a year in salary = 8 goals and 8 assists? Is this a great incredible statistic? For the type of money Henry is earnning, (especially for this league and its stringent salary cap) he should be scoring at least that and more! They could have signed and/or bought 2 or 3 lesser name foreign players (10 years younger) who will have or could have easily produced the same amount of goals and assists. Heck, Simon Dawkins, a 24 year old English unknown bench warmer at Spurs , did this last year for the Quakes making a salary of only $60k in appearing in only 27 games! Where he came from, there are many other players just like him. Again, every league and team needs stars but not at 36/37 years of age or rather 3/4 years shy of their 40th BD.

22. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can count goals and complain about cost per goal to discount the value of virtually any high-paid player. You're an idiot if you think that "Where he came from, there are many other players just like him".
    [​IMG]
    How many players have teams built a statue of outside their home ground? When Henry came into the league it was as much about watching his level of play as it was about counting goals and assists. He is one of the most fluid and powerful players that I have ever seen. He looked like he could do anything he wanted whenever he wanted. The point of my first post was that he has lost some of that fluidity, power and quickness.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #23 falvo, Sep 14, 2013
    Yeah you are right to a point but that was a long time ago! That same statue you are speaking about was built because of the accomplishments of a 20 or under 30 Henry not of a 36 year old aging superstar. I was a fan of his at Juventus also but that was many years ago and I doubt they are building one for his goals he is scoring or his play in MLS. Again, forget about his last name but on the pitch in NY anyway , if anyone understands the game, there is no difference between a 36 year old Henry and little know (25 year old) Simon Dawkins or (28) Fabián Espíndola. You can twist it and turn it any which way you want and point out his accolades from 10 years ago but the current statistics don't lie.

24. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could not be more spectacularly wrong.

I'm a Red Bulls fan and I watch every game. He is our conduit, our most dangerous player. Espindola doesn't come close. And while you might spit on 8 goals and 8 assists, those are the best numbers on the team (Espindola has 7 goals and 2 assists, and two of those goals are PKs). There are only like 10 guys in the league who have that many goals and assists combined. And Henry draws enough attention that even when he isn't scoring or assisting, it's easier for the rest of the team to create chances because they aren't the focus of the defense.

Is Henry slowing down in his old age? Yes. Is he injury prone in his old age? Yes. Can he be annoyingly petulant when his teammates don't meet his high standards? Yes. Is he worth the $4.5 million we're paying him? Probably not, no.

But he's still a very good player who has not fallen off a cliff like the person I was responding to said. And his quality is still obvious to anyone who "understands the game." Sheesh.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #25 falvo, Sep 14, 2013
    This is my whole point. You don't have to explain anything to me as I've been involved with the game, played, coached refereed and been a professional administrator (for 40 years) probably before you were even born. I even had an opportunity to work for Fiorentina in Italy for 3 years when they went from the Serie A to the Sere C2 and I was there when they went from the 1st tier to the 4th tier back up to the 2nd & 1st once again from 2001-2005. Therefore, I believe I do in fact know and understand the game and know and follow Klose but that is besides the point . Again, to reiterate, I never said these guys can't still play and/or get their goals but my whole initial point is, was and remains , for MLS anyway and their stringent salary caps and stupid rules, there is no need to keep pointing to over 35's for their DP's to make or break their league and I hope and pray they don't and won't continue this trek and I stand by that belief.