Come At me Brough: Brad Guzan at Middlesbrough

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by wsmaugham, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Held a clean-sheet against City for 68 minutes until a PK from Aguero.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And that wasn't a PK. 2-2 now and Boro needs all 3 points. Panic mode.

At least they're going down swinging, unlike Sunderland, that went out with a whimper.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder if any British papers might do a feature on the end of US keepers in the PL. Our guys have been there since the beginning I recall. A Yank in the PL every season and for a few years we had 3 or 4.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts today against Chelsea.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    5th straight match. Bravo to sir Brad

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a must win game for Middlesbrough or esle they are down... well I guess a draw keeps them in mathematically at least, but lose and they are down...

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa just went five-hole on Guzan while 1v1. Defender #2 was ball-watching.

9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just want to give him a hug and tell him it's alright. And they may come back after 1 season down. But they won't have Brad to kick around anymore.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh dear..... Guzan may have just scored

:oops:

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    3 nutmegs. Yikes.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guzan's having an awful game, and almost certainly just handled a ball outside the area. LEARN WHERE THE PENALTY BOX ENDS YOU BLOCKHEAD. Haven't you suffered enough from that already?

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess it may be fair to say Guzan may have the honor of being the worst US keeper in PL history?

What happened to 2012-2014 Brad Guzan? That was too good for a club like AV Brad. And now relegated twice within a year.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, all 3 goals went underneath him. That's a bad look. He should have knocked away the cross on the 2nd one. A lot of indecision in his positioning/decision-making. Saw that for country too vs. Jamaica. He has dropped balls right in his hands in some of the most recent matches he's played. He makes some clearance/distributing errors. He lacks range, in spite of being tall. He's inflexible.

He's just not a very good keeper at this level and I don't think he should be U.S.' #1 again. That honor should go to Howard, until Hamid or Horvath prove themselves of being worthy. Guzan can be the emergency #3 maybe.

16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I just don't know what happened to the Brad of 4 or 5 years ago. He regressed tremendously as he should have been hitting his goalkeeping prime. Agree with the above - would feel much better about Howard than Brad even in another year and change.

Next year will be absolutely huge for Horvath - if he can become the #1 and get a lot of European experience he could possibly challenge Howard and should at least be the backup.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good thing for Atlanta there's no relegation in MLS.

ebbro repped this.
  18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Put ten BS jackasses in front of him and it would be like Villa or Boro. That has to get old and make you old before your time. Tbf, Howard went from ManU to Everton. Very good to pretty good. Nothing like the crap Guzan had in front of him. Perhaps his best days are behind him, but b real about his career.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it really seems folks forget he was pretty damn good just a few years ago. And there are far worse keepers. Perhaps he made an error signing to be no2 at a recently promoted side. Shame he ends his time in the PL with this.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    152 PL appearances in 9 years.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time we didn't have a GK playing in a top 4 league?

Was it '96, the year before Freidel went to Liverpool? Actually I think it was '91, the year before Keller went to Millwall.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    #3923 wellno, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Playing in a weaker team that concedes lots of chances is a good opportunity for a goalkeeper to showcase just how good they are at the shotstopping side of the game but if they're not up to the job it can leave them bitterly exposed. Guzan looks well past his best these days.

Although that said, Boro actually have a good defence and have conceded less goals than any other team in the bottom half of the table, their problems have been at the other end of the pitch. Valdes, Gibson and Chambers were a solid foundation that they never really built on.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a bit nitpicky here, but shouldn't the 2nd goal actually have been a Brad Guzan OG? The cross-shot didn't look like it was on target and Brad's defection most certainly changed its direction to put it in. Should be one for the dubious-goals committee..... I remember them taking one away from Dempsey some time ago for that... they should at least give Brad his deserved goal...