Column in today's Sun Sentinel about MLS in So Flo

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by IMissTheFusion, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Key quotes:

"Garber said. 'We struggled with the fan base in Fort Lauderdale and we closely monitored games we've played in the Orange Bowl, including some of our [preseason] games this week, and there does not yet seem to be a passion for soccer.' "

Unbelievable, as some here had predicted. He used PRESEASON games, not to mention they had truly absolutly ZERO marketing... not even on Friday or Saturday's sportsection, and now Garber is using it as an additional excuse for not having a team... I'M GUTTED !!!

"The U.S.-Canada match at Lockhart drew 6,549 on a shivery night, while the U.S.-Argentina game at the OB drew 27,196, though three-fourths of that number supported Argentina. "

Though I like Jeff Rusknek, he is really pissing me off about the way he like to belittle anything regarding the game in Miami-Dade. First I'd say there it was more like 2/3rd Argy but thats splitting hairs, regardless even if only 1/4 of the croud was outright US supportors its still more than the entire crowd at showed up at Lockhart. Secondly, what make him so sure that just because the rest was pro-Argy that makes them automatically anti-US and/or anti-MLS. Simply a dumb, biased, and rather bigotted, assumption.

Someone should make a poll of Los Angeles Hispanics/Mexicans vs Miami Hispanics regarding support for the US team and MLS. I can guarantee a rather significant differnce. So Rusnek has to cut the crap... he should know better (maybe not?) to make such coorelations. Then again he's from another world, he's from Broward.

"Garber did confirm that former Fusion owner Ken Horowitz is still an MLS investor, but that he holds no territorial rights in South Florida, nor is he involved in any of the expansion bids."

VERY important point to know and we had all questioned. There we have it at least one very good note, finally! Horobitch has no ties to this area. YEA!!! good news:)

"Garber sees South Florida in MLS's future, just not anytime soon. 'This league needs 18 to 20 teams," Garber said, "and at some point we hope and expect to be back here in South Florida.' "

Though it hurts for the near future this is probably a good thing. For even I was upset at MLS for giving this area an expansion team in 1998. My reasoning was that I felt this area did not deserve a team and should have been ignored until MLS built more of a rapore among the soccer knowlegable and sportsfans(in this area)so they could develop an appetite for MLS. We got a team it fail now this area has been "blacklisted" until who knows when. Had MLS not given this area a poorly organized franchise, with everything done nearly "last miniute" and in chaos Miami would have surely been a top prospect expansion city for 2005. With many fans anxiously waiting for our team.

At least its nice to know that we may eventually have a second chance. By then, well have an even stronger fan base and if MLS learned from its Fusion mistakes they will be much more organized and patient.

2. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I'm afraid that it will be a long, long time before we see a MLS/Pro team here. Even if we get 27K for internationals or even more for South American/European exhibitions, he still believes that the area "has a lack of passion for soccer". For some reason he dismisses our fan base. Perhaps it is because he would have to work to convince fans of good soccer to come or because he is just stupid, I don't know. We all know that this area is probably in the top two or three soccer hotbeds in the country, but until Garber, et al, understand that *all* soccer fans are potential MLS supporters, and that he can't just expect to set a team up, not promote it, and get 30,000 each week we stand no chance. Remember he said that the OB had two games and they were very disappointingly attended - just how many did he think would turn up? With that level of realism, we need to realize that we'll just have to keep attuned to FSW and go to see the quality international and friendlies that we get (for some reason, many foreign teams disagree with Garber's conclusion about our passion as they sit in front of 30K screaming knowledgeable fans)

3. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    GREAT POST, Stuart. You should send that as an email to Garber, excellent! You might want to add what did he expect with the 2 OB Fusion matches when they were poorly organized as well, beyond the lack of marketing, do you remember.

They set-up the games in May(after the season started) even sent OB tickets to season ticket holders for the June 16th and 30th games. Then with about a week before the 1st match they canceled the match and re-set it for July 7th. That kind of crap was outright incompetence and the type of unprofessional organization unseen in US profesional sports much less for a league that calls itself "Major League". He should've recognized that 15k and 22k were actually rather good numbers considing the very real circumstances... what was he thinking 35k with all this organizational mumbo jumbo, utterly ridiculous, and increadibly unfair.

4. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    Garber/MLS inferior product is NOT ready for
    sFlorida, that is the problem...

We are the best soccer cuture market in USA,
    and we demand a GREAT product. and they DONT have it...
    until they have it and figure this out
    we will have to watch what we have, internationals
    and local cups..
    Lets face it more people went to
    see Copa Latina, then the garbarge MLS displayed
    here last week.

I watched very little MLS last year, and even less
    this season :)

they stink, the whole Garbarge lot of them
    imbecil novices.

let them blunder a few more times, and watse time and money, and they will be back.

Sorry folks, Mimai, we have been set up... again "I told you so" is in the MLS vocab
    again.

who the heck goes en mass to inferior practice games ?

this is not some Oke town where people dont have better things to do,
    then watch the crap exhibited last week.

--------------------
    Incognito

5. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    Strong words, soccer4sFlorida. I remember watching the MLS (USA) against the Argentinian kids. It was men against boys, except it was the Argentinians who were the men. Again, on Saturday when I watched the MLS teams, I thought the same thing: the level of MLS soccer is crap and almost entirely devoid of individual skill.

Please tell me that the Fusion was better than that lot, or was I just suckered in :/

You know, on Saturday, I could have tried to take a few people along, but decided to go alone for fear of embarrassing myself when they see what a crap product I follow. It is hard to encourage others to watch the games when the level of play is so poor. I fear alienating potential fans with such dross. Not that it matters anymore, as MLS won't be here for a loooong time, if ever. They want an Apple Pie league and fanbase... probably something that can never be delivered here in multi-cultural Miami.

6. leca

leca New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    PB County
    Suart.... FUSION 2001 was the Real thing,
    they failed (MLS) miserably.

even in the early days of the Fusion, the team was
    superior, but inexperienced, in a new league ran by cretins.
    WE
    have something special here, WE know what we
    want..MLS CANT deliver that here, and they make excuses and point fingers, impotent lot, the whole
    bunch of them.

$crew them, and good friggin luck.

FUSION 2001 WAS THE REAL THING.

(sorry Hudson ! DC is not sFlorida, Beaches, Hooters& Beers)

7. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Ieca is right, the 2001 Fusion team WAS the REAL thing.

Wether you are a highly sophisticated Futbol fan or just a plain US/MLS fan you had to appreciate what occured on the pitch with the 2001 Fusion, FC.

If you can not appreciate what Ray Hudson produced on the field that year you might as well just not call yourself a futball fan. You don't have to exclude yourself to only prime top-of-the-line futbol to appreciate good futbol at any level, period.

From what "soccer4Sf" writes he certainly doesn't sound like he is "4SFSoccer"... what is he thinking ???...that all of a sudden the EPL or Argentine league will want to have an expansion franchise in S.Florida. Thats simply dilusional. All of the world's best leagues were made from within and it took much more than 7 or 8 season's before they were considered a great football league.

Thats the crime behind the contraction of the 2001 Fusion, FC. Great leagues start off with great teams. Within the 7 years of MLS there has only been 1 great team, DC United with Chicago the only other team far behind. Miami, dispite losing in that year's semi-final was on its way to being the next great MLS team. With an attendence that surely would have increased another 20-40% had they played in 2002...a DAM SHAME!!!

8. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    It so true. A four year 'test', for the best soccer city/region in the country. MLS has constantly set up South Florida for failure. Can you imagine any other league contracting a team that finished with the leagues best record, a 50% increase in attendance and on the way to great things, after only four years in existance? I can't. I can't think of any other entity, league, or association that would make such a move.

So this year, MLS schedules two double headers at the orange bowl to again 'test' the market. The copa carnaval. Luckly I read the soccer column every sunday, or else I would have never know these games existed. There were no fans there, and MLS acheived their goals. After that, Don Garber stated that Miami did not help its chances of getting an MLS team in the near future, in part due to the poor attendance at the practice games. Oh yeah, he also stated that since the atttendace at the US - Argentina game was "3/4 Argentina fans", it did not bode well for S. Forida. Can you image that statement either? 27,000+ fans were at that game, why would "Argentinian fans" not be / become MLS fans? This guy Garber has tested my patience with MLS. Iwas actually loyal to MLS after they contracted the Fusion. No More. I will not renew my MLS package on Adelphia. Screw them. If I catch their games on ESPN2, or were ever they are this year, I may watch. Otherwise, I will stick to Fox Sports World, and replays of EPL and Bundsleague games (and US A league), until the next season starts in Europe.

9. IMissTheFusion

IMissTheFusion New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    South Florida
    Anyone remember the protest at Lockhart when word got out that the Fusion was going to be contracted. Garber said, after the Fusion were contracted, that there weren't enough people there and if MAYBE there were more people there, we'd still have a team. The date of the protest.....December 22, 2001, the last Saturday before Christmas. Sorry Don, but spending time with my brother, whom I see once a year and my newborn nephew took priority on trying to appease your sorry ass.

I've said it before, MLS will dangle a team in So Florida in front of us like a carrot in front of a plowing mule. It's not happening.

10. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    been there, if we had 2000 instead of 200, it would NOT made the dif. anyway, the decission for Contraction was allready made..

How about the 2400 signatures on the petition??

It makes no dif... Not that they will never come back, but they need a few more blunders before they will reconsider... Unless of course some dude
    with lots of $$$ steps in, and then the story line
    may change.
    At this time they are tryng their
    best the "I told you so" crap... to warrant why
    they are not here, and sell new investors, new markets... thinking they will do better.

I strongly believe, that even in 3-4 years, the Fusion 2001 atendance, will still be in the top 12
    and the Fusion 2001 $ loses, at Lockahart,will still be among the lowest...and that may make the
    IDIOTS reconsider.

Until we get a team... screw them :)

See you at the Gold Cup

11. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    I remember that very well. And previous to that, Garber was quoted int paper saying that no amount of protesting or siging of petitions would help save the teams, and it was a wasted effort. After the effort failed on its own, Garber blamed the lack of support. He had to hedge both ways.

12. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I suspect that the Fusion was "unofficially" Contracted even before the end of the season. Do you remember how someone found a page on MLS's website--before the announcement--that had all the teams' logos except the Fusion and Tampa?

Garber just tries to keep his doors open here saying he would like to come back, etc. But, he has no intention of. But, of course, if a billionaire stepped up, then they would be back in a heartbeat. Simply put: the only markets that will "expand" are those where very wealthy investers are found. It doesn't matter to MLS if that is Miami or Middle-o-nowhere.

I have tried to stay loyal to MLS by watching matches, even going to their practices (and being charged!!!), but I am getting to the point where I'm just not interested anymore. I'll continue to watch US games that are played here, but I doubt that I'll go to, or watch on tv, anything MLS related anymore :(

13. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    THE NEWS: For all those South Florida fans who write in wondering when MLS is coming back, the answer was given this week by Garber: not too soon.

TCS SAYS: Forget soccer, South Florida is a very soft sports market in general, just ask any of the other professional teams, save the Dolphins. In addition, the two staples of expansion – venue and ownership – are big question marks, as we all know. As Garber put it in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel the other day: “We’ve struggled with the fan base in Fort Lauderdale and we closely monitored games we’ve played in the Orange Bowl, including some of our (preseason) games this week, and there does not yet seem to be a passion for soccer.”

"and there does not yet seem to be a passion for soccer.” quote by Garberage

Mr. GarberCrap you are full of it, what a idiotic statement...
    whats up with this jerk.????

what is he trying to sell ? to whom ? why does he need to ... still...warrant, and be on constant
    defense on "CONTRACTION" in sFlorida ??

We got the message ...wanker !
    long time ago... now go and play your game
    somewhere else, get out.. Garbarage

Contracting the Fusion2001 was a mistake !
    Simple truth...the rest is garberage.

Well ! Stuart, Bobby, Leca, and sFlorida soccer
    fans, we "seem" not to have "passion" for the
    game.

14. Ajax65

Ajax65 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the city of Miami wants a professional soccer team, then the fans have got to organize into a lobbying group to get city and community support. Don't expect someone to come in and do all the work for you just because you have all of these soccer fans and demographics. Build up a solid community of support and you will be a step closer to bringing the MLS. Complaining gets you nowhere.

15. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    sorry but Bull S..T

let them do it, maybe you dont get the point.. this is bitchin' :) not complaining !
    Some of us dont care much for MLS, but this idiot
    keeps on BASHING, sFlorida ... WHY ??? Ajax
    (Chivu is great :) )

screw them... I will do the leg work when we have a team, and I hope we get a "A" franchise at Lockhart, that would be best for now.

Ajax... you can lobby your butt off !
    Investor is needed, with out that it makes no dif.

16. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    Well, Mr Garber, I can assure you that this lifetime fan of soccer no longer has any passion for MLS - so quit patronizing us and beat it!

17. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I must say Ajax DOES bring a good point. Its fine and dandy that we get to express ourselves and our frustrations here on these boards, but ultimately if we can sinergize our efforts or at least inform some of the politically influencial persons(especially if they are soccer ignoramusi). Then we are ultimately truly helping the cause. We should someone remove ourselves from counterproductive emotions and focus on the ultimate goal and our positive beliefs. That this area, with a core in Miami area but not limited to, IS a soccer hotbead whether their is majority of foreign fans or not... as someone already said earlier any soccer fan is potentialy an MLS fan.

I thinik we should somehow contact Miami city officials and give them the input they need... like much of what you guys have already stated above. Maybe a much more just test of the area's potential is to bid to host a MLS cup. Not an All-star game or crappy preseason tournaments.

An MLS cup in Miami, with its great weather in Novermber, would allow for possibly an extra week extension for media hype, organization and promotion of a real championship.

I'm not saying that ultimately we can do it without and I/O... however, if we manage to convince or guide polititians which already appear "interested" then the I/O may be found as they deal with wealthy and influecial people on a daily basis. Not to mention all the promoters of the persistent international tournaments and games that are played at the OB several times a year.

18. IMissTheFusion

IMissTheFusion New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    South Florida
    I sent the loudest message anyone can possibly send....I bought two season tickets.

19. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel your pain!

I bought 3...

20. leca

leca New Member