Post-match: Columbus v NYRB

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jul 28, 2018.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will never tire of the lectures here on what the correct level of happiness is to have after a win. The Crew cannot move. I need this in my life forever.

zman31, redi44crew, Crew Chuck35 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I only offered my sentiment because you were so positive. Felt like I was missing something. A hole. Emptiness I couldn’t fill.

hangthadj and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New forum tag line? Or is it too real?

What you describe is the state of affairs in this forum for as long as I have been around (and I seem to have aged...).

Plenty of optimistic people exist around here to balance out the cynical bastards. Yin/yang, light/dark, etc. At least we get that balance.

4. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [DC United fan - I come in peace]

My tip of the hat to the Crew for getting three points at Red Bull Arena. I enjoyed watching that game on ESPN+.

Also, you have a gem of a player in Patrick Mullins. He was traded to your team because he ended up the odd man out of the roster slot musical chairs that resulted from DC United signing Wayne Rooney. He's a good forward, seems to be a good person and I'm glad to see him getting minutes and scoring goals on his new team. He'll probably get a hat trick against DC United or something ;).

What makes Mullins so good is that he plays to his strengths. He makes smart runs inside the box, finishes well, and is solid at hold-up play in the middle third. He does not try to get into foot races with defenders since that's not his strength. He also doesn't try to dribble through multiple defenders since that is also not his strength.

Support him well and enjoy cheering for your new forward.

Robbiegoal, odave, Crew Chuck35 and 16 others repped this.
  5. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, I contend, has just as much to do with the overload of talent in the east than any weaknesses of 3G. Do we, in your opinion have a better roster than Atlanta or either New York club?

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the rum.....;);)

7. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For those of you new to this forum or who are trying to learn the game, in case you are reading some posts put out by armchair followers of the game -

Gregg Berhalter is a terrific coach. We are very, very blessed to have him. As much as I despise AP, he did hire Gregg - otherwise, my photoshops of AP would be really insulting....

Gregg instilled a unique, demanding, entertaining, high risk system. He has built very formidable teams with a limited payroll.

I hope we do not lose him.

Robbiegoal repped this.
  8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We beat one of the best teams in the league, on the road, and I still want to Boot Berhalter.

hangthadj repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wish we would have used two strikers with Kamara & Kamara

Also Do you guys think if we played the 442 with Pipa it would be more effective than the 4231?

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Pipa one of the "4" or one of the "2?"

I don't think, especially at this point in his career that he has the defensive drive to play in the middle as a box to box 8 in Artur's spot. Especially with attacking bent both the wide guys have (not that they're giving us much). I also think that he loses the freedom to go where the space is if he's played as one of the strikers. He is not one to play back to goal. He isn't going to occupy a center back to bring team mates in and he can't make runs in behind the line as he's not fast enough. I think his skillset would be wasted in that role.

SourCream&OnionUtd and chr1st repped this.
  11. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    #36 SourCream&OnionUtd, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Plus you'd need shuttler types (like Osorio or Grabavoy) with a guy like Pipa in a 4-4-2. Think back to RSL's 4-4-2 with Morales. I suppose you could play Artur on the right (he might actually be very good in that role, he has the tools) and Argudo or Santos on the left.

I could see him as technically being one of the front two, similar to how Guille was used at one point, but that is really more of a 4-4-1-1, with Pipa underneath the lead striker. And that's really not too different from what we already do, plus it would leave Mullins on the bench.

12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I cant remember for sure.....but I feel like I remember some lineups from when Pipa and Arrieta first came to the crew and the two of them played up top. We had that Milovan Mirosevic dude pulling strings behind them didnt we? I was a fan of the team but not quite as attentive and obsessed as I am now so I cant remember.

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also Hope Sosa is back but I like the different tactics especially for road games