Post-match: Columbus @ Toronto: EC Final Leg 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Nov 29, 2017.

1. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Clutch and consistent are antonyms.

ibrew repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I hope Ch(Elsey)'s Markus beats you up twice. Once for Meram, once for the Crewzers.

chr1st repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  4. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'll happen if you build your walls with styrofoam.

puttputtfc, TKyle and CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... That's kinda the point.

If I can't have clutch, I'll take consistent.

6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Well, Klickbait Kurt wrote the piece, so yeah, sensational.

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the reason Garber didn't show up for his interview was because Lalas was going to speak truth to power. On the Crew relocation, unlike Twellman, Lalas hasn't sucked Garber's dick like a prostitute and Lalas is known to shoot his mouth off. Regardless of any assurances that may have been given, Garber probably couldn't trust Lalas not to Munson him on a national stage.

ibrew repped this.
  10. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    id like to see if Lalas reacts to the fact that Garber dodged him so blatantly. I hope that triggers a predator/prey reaction.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Lalas is a lapdog. No way he goes after Garber.

QuarkspaceDotCom and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you don't follow Twitter or hear what he said at halftime, toeing thebMLS/PSV narratives about lack of support and mad metrics.

13. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #163 Jaybir, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    I shake my head when I see some of the criticism on this board directed toward our coach and players. We strongly contend for the Cup in two of the last three years with a bare bones payroll and a DP who hasn't even had a full season to gel with the team.

Perhaps it is the same lack of understanding among the general public that causes people to hold up Jozy as the hero of the game. At least as much credit for that goal should be given to the smallest player on the field who initially won the long ball. But SG gets no assist and no goal. Those stats seem to be all that some people understand.

I'm very proud of our boys and coach. They overachieved, again - and under miserable circumstances.

I sure hope I get to keep cheering for them.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The payroll this season was lower middle of the pack before the Santos signing and around 10th after the Santos signing. In fact, that caused some Massive Report podcasters and other media to shout down anyone who doubted Precourt's "commitment" to this team. Those arguments aged well.

The fact that our owner is an asshole shouldn't absolve poor performances. We scored in 1 of 5 playoff matches, 2 if you are one of those assholes who counts a disallowed goal vs Atlanta as a goal. Knock yourselves out. We played timid and poorly both the NYCFC away leg and more importantly our home leg versus Toronto. As was mentioned on the winning goal of the series the smallest man on the field beat two guys to a bouncing ball that had about about 2 feet and 125 pounds on him.

The Toronto series was there for the taking. Our players and coaches weren't quite up to the task. The Precourt thing probably weighed on them (especially the home match), but ******** it. Criticism is part of the territory with being a professional athlete.

Obviously, Precourt is this teams biggest problem. But as I hopefully get to continue to cheer for this team as well, I want the other problems addressed too.

15. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #165 Jaybir, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    I'm not against criticizing poor performances, especially when effort is lacking. I'm also okay with it when a player is overpaid. Selfishness is another area that absolutely should be criticized.

We've had some busts - it is a necessary part of the game - especially when you are required to bargain hunt.

But this team showed tremendous heart and we were very close to hosting the Cup again. Chances aren't always finished, even by the great ones. And players seldom play perfect games - especially in the pay grades we offer.

Gregg's teams have consistently overachieved in my mind - with an exciting (albeit risky) system. But as I've said in the past, if you are going toe to toe with the big spending markets, you better have an angle of some sort.

16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAFCrew and chr1st repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we did under perform. Thing is, in terms of playoff performance, we over performed 19 teams in a 22 team league.

We failed to score much in the playoffs? Well, yeah, but so did KC, Chicago, San Jose and (of course) Atlanta in the first round. Vancouver was shut out in its two game series in round two. Houston was out-scored 5-0 in this past round. There have been four 0-0 matches, and three 1-0 in the playoffs; out of 16 total games. The playoffs haven't exactly been a goal fest for anyone.

I agree that our big attackers didn't get the job done in the playoffs. Obviously, Adam, Jahn as our off-the-bench striker is pretty pathetic. At which point I could start talking about who to keep, who to let go, where we can cost effectively upgrade in a key position or two this off season. Thing is, I really don't have the heart to talk about future roster moves for some reason. Wonder why...

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  18. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Agree about low-scoring playoffs. Knockout competitions are often cagey, low-scoring affairs. They are rarely ever goal bonanzas, so this complaint about lack of goals rings a bit hollow to me. Sure, we could and should have scored more.

19. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never listened to the Massive Report. Have they been eating their crow? Sounds like their Precourt pimpery was so bad that if they had any modicum of decency they would call themselves out as complete and utter morons.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    What do you think? It's all very 1984 " We have always been at war with Precourt"

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've actually scored more goals in this playoff season than the team that beat us. Toronto has three goals in four games. Not exactly setting records.

Plus, I don't know why certain people (ahem) keep insisting on treating the second leg of a two-legged playoff series the same way you would a standard one-off match. I don't give two flying shits that we didn't score in New York, because we had a three goal goddamn lead going in there. Goals were not needed, so to talk about that game as some kind of offensive failure is colossally stupid.

Jaybir, Robbo Crewfan, Grouchy and 3 others repped this.
  22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's never gonna happen. This is the same group of idiots who were graveling so much for Precourt's approval that they guffawed together on a podcast saying reading Big Soccer gives you brain damage.

chr1st and TKyle repped this.
  23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve only listened to two MR podcasts—that one and one other.
    I was particularly annoyed by Scornflakes/Justin.
    What a bunch of douchenozzles.

24. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.