Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As a once ardent fan of the Sonics, I had completely lost interest in the NBA once my team was taken to someplace back east. I likewise decided to abandon MLS entirely if the Crew met a similar fate. My time here on BS would have just been nothing but bitter whining. Strictly YBTD material. Now that such silliness seems unwarranted, I can get on with contributing meaningful content to this community.

39D6D6D7-F3D0-4398-A165-81D6F270D6A0.jpeg

2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I completely agree 1000%. 2018 was like lost season for me because my heart was not into it. Now suddenly there’s playoffs to watch. Storylines to catch up with. The rapids had a down year but I’m moving to Minnesota, Minnesota United sounds intriguing to me all of a sudden.

Like all of a sudden, yesterday I didn’t get a single turd.

3. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How inconsiderate, especially considering that, barring stoppage time, there are only 45 minutes in a half!

jack sticker repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s makes this a not-terrible resolution (if it goes down the way it seems it will) is that it’s looking like Columbus won’t miss a season, will keep their players and staff, etc. That is actually a big improvement from how the San Jose —> Houston move was handled.

Billionaire team owners will likely continue to relocate teams, not sure what can be done to stop that entirely. Should they choose to try, hopefully it ends with something along these lines instead of what we usually see.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnman and russ repped this.
  6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disney wrong about something soccer related?

Yer shittin me.

It's real estate Edwards.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) Who knows--and I'm not sure I care. But I'll bet one of the issues that precipitated things here is that Austin has had trouble finding a place to play right away. I'm sure MLS does not want a situation where there are players under contract with no place to play.

(2) No. Too big. There are better, more appropriate choices.

TheRealBilbo and russ repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Dispatch is reporting otherwise this morning--at least that Dr. Edwards is part of the family. Not that the Dispatch is perfect.

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    can confirm dr edwards is part of the edwards family, but still unsure as to whether that has anythign to the with the rich construction edwards family

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #8735 NashSC, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Then there are other sources that are wrong too. You guys know waaaaaay more than me but I think it is possible you're wrong this time.
    From Columbus news source

"Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, CEO of the Pilot Flying J truck stop chain, and Columbus' Edwards family, led by long-time Crew team physician Peter Edwards Jr., are buying the team from owner Anthony Precourt"

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbu...ached-to-keep-crew-sc-in-columbus-browns.html

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8736 Bill Archer, Oct 13, 2018
    Let me just clarify: Petes family owns and runs a construction company. He owns a Splrts Med business. A huge one, but he has doctor money not rich guy money. His family is the investor. It was originally reported as " Dr Pete Edwards family" which quickly got shortened to Dr Pete Edwards.

Minnman repped this.
  12. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am even seeing former Crew players saying it's Dr Pete's son Pete Jr who is running the real estate side of the family business.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8738 Yoshou, Oct 13, 2018
    CrewV Man, Draghignazzo, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.