Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My doctor said I need to cut back on the pizza, but he didn't mention strip clubs. :)

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder Timbers fans are always so happy

oknazevad, kgilbert78, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  3. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    And covered in glitter
    Oh wait i just made that part up

El Naranja and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    The trick is to go before the game. That's why we're always so revved up.

5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Back on topic.

MLS are dogs for letting this get this far. Props to Alejandro Moreno for calling it as it is.

Robbiegoal, oknazevad, Boloni86 and 3 others repped this.
  6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Insult to dogs.

7. Nene Cubillas

Nene Cubillas New Member

Atlético Nacional
    United States
    Jul 7, 2018
    Why?

The Pistons are no longer in Fort Wayne. The Detroit Lions moved from Portsmouth, OH. No league ever made has avoided moving from "original" cities.

Screaming "Save the Crew" merely because you don't want to leave an "original" is silly. What Alejandro said is stupid and reeks of MLS 1.0ism.

8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    If the NBA jumped off a bridge would you?

9. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #SaveThePawSox

jayd8888 repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Drawing a parallel between pre-NFL professional football and pre-NBA professional(ish) basketball, and MLS is one of the dumber things I've seen.

11. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Screaming "move the crew" simply because all the big boys have done it is silly. What you said lacks sympathy for all the long term fans in Columbus.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    This is your first post on big soccer under this sock?

Honestly, I don’t think it’s worth responding to because you try to compare Fort Wayne to Columbus.

It’s layers of silly and I don’t think I have the flamethrower that you are looking to dance with.

To understand the first thing about MLS 1.0 is to know the story of The COLUMBUS Crew.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL will be thrilled to know that you approve of the idea of relocating the Rangers, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, or Bruins.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Folks, the "Original Six" is a misnomer, so NHL analogies fail.

And the very first MLS game was played in San Jose, so the idea that moving the Crew is some sort of unprecedented sacrilege is also false.

Moving a pro sports team is a crime, morally and someday legally. Does not matter whether Columbus was an original league entrant or not. It's wrong. And in exactly the same way moving San Jose was wrong.

15. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if this concept is reflected in Wednesday's statements posted on mlssoccer.com, where PSV and Columbus Crew SC were quoted as issuing separate statements following the Austin City Council vote:

Precourt Sports Ventures statement:
    "Precourt Sports Ventures (PSV) is extremely pleased that Austin City Council has voted to authorize negotiations and execution of agreements with PSV for a privately funded Major League Soccer (MLS) stadium and park at McKalla Place.

We wish to express our gratitude to the Austin City Council for passing today’s momentous resolutions. We thank council for acknowledging the groundswell of support to help bring MLS to Austin.

We have been incredibly honored to work alongside the growing community of volunteers, families, and supporters who have proudly persevered to make this historic vote possible. Your efforts have helped make a difference at each step of the pursuit and we wish to thank you very much for your support.

We also wish to extend our special thanks to Mayor Adler, Mayor Pro Tem Tovo and all council members for their ongoing leadership and vision, and to all city staff who have worked diligently with Council to prepare for the passage of today’s important resolutions.”

Columbus Crew SC statement
    “Precourt Sports Ventures has been clear that identifying and working toward a solution for the sustainability and viability of this Club has not been merely an option or goal, but in fact a necessity to achieve long-term stability and success in Major League Soccer.

As we have stated before, normal business operations continue in Columbus for 2018, and Crew SC remains focused on winning an MLS Cup title.”

By ID'ing these 2 entities differently, is MLS prepping Tigereye's concept?? PSV gives up being the investor/operator of Columbus Crew SC, and instead since PSV still owns an equal share of MLS, is awarded an "expansion franchise" for MLS2ATX, and the assets of Columbus Crew (players/staff) are transferred to the new franchise. Meanwhile to comply with the Modell Law, Columbus Crew SC remains in Columbus, on hiatus (a la Chivas USA being rebirthed as LAFC), while MLS seeks a new investor/operator to pony up an expansion fee (to buy it's new share of MLS) and pay for & build a new downtown stadium.

Thoughts???

16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assets will stay in Columbus.

Is the league dumb enough to have a team move from a SSS to minor league baseball stadium 25 miles outside the city?

Let AP build his stadium and team and start play in 2021. Leave the Crew in Columbus with new owners.

Win-win.

POdinCowtown and Boloni86 repped this.
  17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the court allows such a scenario, as I understand it

Adrian repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it was one of the first things PSV took down.... Wish I'd taken a picture of it.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What a bizarre statement. Especially that last sentence. So, embracing relocations is the only way I can get my 2.0 credentials? What's next? Do I have to embrace relocating Colorado and Dallas to earn 3.0 status? Houston and Chicago for 4.0? Just want to find out so I can plan ahead for when it's my club's turn.

God forbid that we attain 2.0 status by fixing our weaker performers. Virtually every under performing club in MLS can be linked to sub par club leadership and/or sub par stadium decisions. But let's just ignore that and blame the cities. Nevermind the fact that Columbus has the biggest growth rate of any Midwestern city. We can't let facts interfere with our 2.0 fantasy.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Also sock puppetry is basically admitting intellectual defeat. You shouldn't need multiple identities to advance a solid argument. And if you can't uphold a site's TOS, just leave the site.

21. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Something is up with this. It's been a constant theme since about the time of the lawsuit. The problem is that the tea leaves are difficult to read.

This could be a way for MLS to let Precourt start in Austin, while giving locals in Columbus a chance to purchase, prior to winding down the team if there are no purchaser.

SourCream&OnionUtd and russ repped this.
  22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do people keep saying this? There are multiple groups that want to buy the team locally.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think you're overthinking it. What do you expect the Crew to say? "So long, suckers!!!!" No way in hell, they've got tickets to sell, and sponsors to service.

There very likely could be something going on, but the Crew, as a team, were never going to put out a presser that burns any bridges.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I want to buy Bugatti Veyron. That doesn't mean they take me seriously at the dealership.

FoxBoro 143, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think there are no qualified purchasers in Columbus? Really?

You think Fischer and the CP would be putting in the effort for nothing?

QuarkspaceDotCom and Aaron d repped this.