Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not sure I'd go on about personal attacks if I were you. Just sayin'

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I love that I get attacked for responding to posts with "high blood pressure" but a moderator can fly off the handle and personally attack. This is a great site.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    North Carolina has 10.4 million as of 2018. Obviously North Carolina deserves a team. Add in the 5.1 million in South Carolina and we're talking 15.5 million. That's more than Ohio, with less MLS teams. WTF, Garber?

sitruc, jaykoz3 and jayd8888 repped this.
  4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I have not personally attacked or said anything negative to a single one of these guys. I am calmly posting like you have requested. Yet I am still getting insane response. You guys really do only look at this one way. It is very interesting and telling about you.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Really, you really want to reach into that after throwing out pejoratives and ad hominems in pretty much every reply you made to me in this thread?

Really?

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  6. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Go count them

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just the last couple of posts, you called me dummy and MeMonster. I'm late to work, or I could dig a little further. I'm just saying stones, glass houses and all. You actually have some decent points, but you keep digging your own holes. You have to learn when to put down the shovel. If you step back, you'll see I'm actually try to help you survive around here.

But then again, if this is your third account here over 15-20 years, there's probably a good reason for that.

sitruc, kgilbert78, asoc and 3 others repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Though your sarcasm is noted, I was merely providing context. I don't really buy the "state" or "per capita" arguments. Nice try, though.

NashSC repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    :p

Actually, I just want a team in Raleigh-Durham.

jayd8888 repped this.
  10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    How did I dig a hole by being called a shitposter by a moderator? Am I not supposed to respond?

I posted a factual post with size of state showed compared to area in question and then posted a factual post with population sizes. that sure is digging a hole.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Forest/trees.

Sigh.

Nevermind.

12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    You need to take your own advice and learn to let things slide.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Please stop the epic whining. Pretty please?

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My calling you an obtuse shitposter was a statement of fact. Now as to the question of how you are to respond, I’ll grant you that my doing so was perhaps not the most constructive way of pushing you in this direction, but perhaps a moment of reflection is in order.

jaykoz3, SierraSpartan and JasonMa repped this.
  15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I would argue that the map overlay reaches center of the big cities in Texas but doesn't cover their metro areas.

One factor that affects the "bigness" is the concentration of population. That area of Texas from DFW to Houston and San Antonio is known as the Texas Triangle megaregion. It has 17.7 million people in its 60,000 square miles. Only three other states have more people than the Texas Triangle and there is no state east of the Mississippi that is bigger in area. However, a lot of it is relatively empty.

The four big metro areas in the Triangle have:

Dallas-Fort Worth: 6.8 million people in its 9,000 square miles
    Houston: 6.3 million people in its 10,000 square miles
    San Antonio: 2.4 million people in 7,300 square miles
    Austin: 2 million people in 4,200 square miles

That's a total of 17.5 million out of the 17.7 total people on about half of the area. That means the other 29,500 square miles have only 200,000 people. That means when you leave one metro area you drive through a lot of nothing until you get to the next metro area three or four hours later.

Let's take Ohio by comparison. The state of Ohio has 44,800 total square miles inside its limits but we should add some area especially for Cincinnati since its metro area extends into Kentucky and Indiana. Let's say 46,000 square miles total. So smaller but still 77% of the area of the Texas Triangle. Pretty close. It has 11.6 million people total but we need to add a million or so for those people just outside the borders. Let's say 13 million people. Which is 75% of the Texas Triangle so its overall density is about the same.

However, let's look at how that density is represented in its 3 big metro areas.

Cleveland: 4.5 million people in 8,500 square miles
    Cincinnati: 2.1 million in 4,000 square miles
    Columbus: 2 million people in 3,100 square miles

That is 8.6 million people on the metro total of 15,600 square miles. So there are 4.4 million people on the other 30,000 square miles. That is 147 people per square mile in the non-metro portion of Ohio compared to 7 people per square mile in the non-metro portion of the Texas Triangle. That is a big difference.

So when you travel in Ohio between the big metro areas there are a lot small towns and cities along the way so things seem closer and there is a much more gradual transition between the big cities. I grew up in Indiana and lived in Michigan for a long time before moving to Texas. In my opinion, going from Houston to Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin seems more like going from Detroit to Chicago, Cleveland, or Cincinnati did to me. It certainly doesn't feel like traveling within a state did in that part of the Midwest.

Kejsare and NashSC repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each? Good lord, sixteen in just four cities.

(So, just like London!)

sitruc, asoc, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  17. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Good post. I pointed some of this info out in my next post....about population size of Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio. Obviously I understand that square miles is only one metric which is why I went on to post the info about population.

18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    That would be a bit excessive :)

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, does that mean KSE is going to move the Rapids to Texas to be Texas' Arsenal?

sitruc, jayd8888, Mateofelipe and 2 others repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there are 416.5 people per square mile in the mid-Atlantic states 345 in the Northeast as a whole, which considering northern New York, Vermont and most of Maine have more sasquatch than people, it's a tight fit elsewhere.

upload_2018-8-17_15-50-38.png

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I should have added that the Texas Triangle is adding 500,000 people per year. And those people are almost all living in the metro areas not out in country.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FC Dallas-Panther City United-Sporting Arlington-Dallas City derbies are gonna be epic.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~Quick, temporary closure of the thread so I can write a post that everybody reads before continuing the conversation/ ~

JasonMa and AndyMead repped this.
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo . . . the number of personal attacks in this thread has risen dramatically, but not in/from the sources I expected. If you're an old timer, you ought not be obtuse about how words like moron, shitposter, dummy, idiot, MeMonster are received: they are personal attacks, even if you claim them not to be. For that matter, anyone who has ever participated in any online forum should know that.

I will also note that the loudest complainer has also been the one making the most number of personal attacks (yes, I counted). Most responses to a personal attack herein have come after earlier personal attacks that prompted the next one.

If you need to report a post, then report it; if you don't like to read a certain poster, then add them to your ignore list. But don't opt for neither of those things and then make a bunch of posts about those posts or those posters.

To be clear now: here endeth the conversation. I am not posting this to engender further posts about guilt or innocence. Just stop.

Carry on.

25. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Portland has more strip clubs per capita than Las Vegas.

big_pole57 and stanger repped this.