Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet merciful crap.

Crew fans: The reason for our sagging attendance is our crappy ownership.

Also Crew fans: Look at FCD and Houston's sagging attendances!

sitruc, jayd8888, AndyMead and 2 others repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if your fellow Ohioans gonna lump Houston and Dallas together and toss Austin in that same bucket, why not?

Yes, we all agree that Oklahoma sucks and that smoked brisket is far superior to pulled pork.

Probably because the University of Texas at Austin is one of the largest universities in the nation and has a lot of alumni all over the nation, let alone in the largest cities in the state.

If by "apples and oranges," you mean "complete jibba-jabba," then sure.

sitruc, Allez RSL, Dignan and 3 others repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, Columbus is further from the Atlantic than Houston and Dallas are. But it's also a cultural thing, as you may have noted.

With UT, I was specifically thinking about fans bases that attend games. That's relevant--which I followed up noting how the Crew's fanbase encompasses Ohio--and the two regions (Ohio and that area of Texas) are about the same size. There is, of course, a similarity between UT and tOSU in that regard (please do note that I am not a tOSU fan) and in what you noted.

Now if we tried to lump El Paso in there, you might just have a point. ;)

But to say that Houston and Dallas have no relationship other than being in the same state is also a bit of a jump, I think.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't care. Y'all are all east of the Mississippi, so who the hell really cares about a few hundred miles here or there?

UT brought tens of thousands of fans to the LA Coliseum to watch a team that has been mediocre for the entire decade play Southern Cal. Does that mean that LAFC shouldn't be let into the league?

Two issues:

1. I'd bet a cool $10 that at least 90% of the Crew's attendance for any single game comes from no further than 50 miles from Columbus.

2. You're making a helluva an argument that Columbus should be loaded into the ejection seat, never to return to the league. After all, Cincy's getting a team next season. Why should Columbus have a team if Cincy's got one?

Shit, I don't know... I could go with a life's experience of having spent my childhood in one place and my most of my adult life in the other, or I could take the opinion of some rando in Ohio.

Saying that Houston and Dallas should have any impact on whether Austin or San Antonio gets a team is about as idiotic as saying that both Columbus and Cincinnati should not have teams.

sitruc, whereiend and SierraSpartan repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This video paints the perfect picture of him! He's the classic trust fund kid who's never been told no. Thinks that because he has his parents money that he can do whatever he wants. He's so insincere in that exchange. You can see the meekness and fear written all over him.

I'm kind of shocked that the City Council agreed to enter into negotiations with a man who hasn't presented any details about the project outside of the barest of minimums.

Boloni86, Draghignazzo and Len repped this.
  6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You just pointed out the exact reason that Crew fans point this out. We (most) are not trying to attendance shame but say, look they have exactly the same problem...so about those "metrics".

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize at a couple of the main posters here are from Akron.

That said, and I wish I could remember the numbers (it's been a while since I was in the team offices--and I expect that chart is long gone after PSV took over), but I was amazed at the time at how many full season ticket holders were from out of town (more than your 50 mile radius). Part of that may have been the influence of Indiana University (the team had a number of former IU players).

What I'm baffled by is your implying that there's no possible influence of Houston and Dallas on San Antonio or Austin. I know San Antonio has tried in the past to get a football team. Wonder why the NFL won't go there?? Could it be the influence of current teams? In Ohio, which has about the same footprint as that area in Texas we are discussing, Cincy isn't getting an NBA team again anytime soon (nor is Pittsburgh)--the NBA considers them too close to Cleveland/Indianapolis. In fact, my guess is that the door is closed for any of the other four team to move into Ohio.

8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Wait, you do...you are claiming that a few hundred miles are enough to justify multiple teams for 4 cities. So which is? Do a few hundred miles mater or do they not?

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if those metrics are bullshit, why the rush by to embrace those metrics?

Unless either of them is LeBron James, I'm not sure that it matters to me.

Yes, yes, I remember when Crew Stadium was brand-new, that the Crew liked to trumpet how wide-reaching their season ticket base was. What I'm saying is that even in those salad days, there were not more 1,900 fans (out of the 19,000 per game) that came from farther than 50 miles from Columbus.

I can't help your being baffled. All I can do is give you the facts.

Because San Antonio is a smallish market and the Alamodome is kind of old and is lacking many of the revenue streams that the NFL is looking for?

While I do appreciate your comparison of my local XI to the Dallas Cowboys, I think you're still overstating the situation. If the City of San Antonio/Bexar County were to build a new stadium or renovate Alamodome to the NFL's specs, it would instantly skyrocket to the top of the NFL's list for relocation destinations, no matter what Jerry Jones or Bob McNair may or may not think.

[citation needed]

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Note: I haven't been to a game in years. On the other hand, a rather large percentage of the people I encountered were from various places well outside 50 miles, mostly Cleveland and Akron and Cincy and Dayton, but also NW Ohio, Y-town, Indy, and even Detroit. I'd be curious to see that map again, kgilbert78. Based on the BS poster demos, the NE Ohio contingent seems as large as ever.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might want to check to see if your sarcasm detector needs fresh batteries.

12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Hard to pick up on sarcasm in page long posts with no smiley faces. You might want to improve on your presentation of sarcasm.

13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    WTF are you on about?

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    So for all the "Texas is so big" comments. Here you go. Lets settle this once and for all. Yes Texas is big. But we are talking about Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio. Is that area big...absolutely not.

That area is for fact not bigger than Ohio. See below. In fact that area is only bigger than some of the small Northeast states (8 by my estimate) and Hawaii. So out of 50 states this area of TX is bigger than around 9. Should all 40 others also have 3-4 teams? So stop with the "Texas is so big". Are you suggesting putting a team in El Paso, Amarillo, or Odessa?

txoh.jpg

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I get that we have about half of the Lake, and some of the islands are ours, but that shape is kinda ********ed up.

16. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Also the metro populations of that area of texas is ~18million.
    That would rank it 4th behind: California, NY, Florida. Are you guys suggesting NY and Florida should also have 4 teams?

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    State of Ohio is, what, 11.5 or 12 million now?

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio is the biggest metro area without a NFL team according to San Antonians.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Jefe hit a couple of reasons, but IMO the biggest reason is that the NFL is an eyeball league. Replacing the Oilers with the Texans helped them with eyeballs. I suspect most people in SA are already big fans of an NFL team, and the league won't add enough eyeballs to justify cutting the pie a bit smaller.

To put it another way...the league doesn't mind a Bay Area team moving to LV.
    WE ARE ARGUING THAT "STATE" IS THE WRONG ********ING STANDARD!

sitruc repped this.
  20. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Right so I took state out of it.
    I am comparing physical size to physical size and population to population.
    That is exactly what you suggested we do. It still fails to indicate it should have more teams over any other area.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7071 ElJefe, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2018
    Sure, champ. You’re pretty much the only one not picking up my sarcasm, so I'll get RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT on it.
    Cool pic. Two issues:

1. Put Columbus and Cincinnati on there. It's sort of irrelevant how large the entire state is when no one's talking about putting a team in Toledo or Cleveland.

2. And this is the important thing here. IT DOESN'T ********ING MATTER BECAUSE PRECISELY ZERO PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ARGUING THAT OHIO SHOULD GET ONLY ONE TEAM. The only people who have been making some argument based on some dipshitted quota of teams per state have been people who have argued that MLS can't possibly have a team in central or south Texas because Houston and Dallas.

sitruc repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <plonk>

"Texas" isn't (possibly) getting a team. The Crew aren't going to barnstorm around the state. It's Austin.

sitruc repped this.
  23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Circular arguments are circular.

oknazevad, jaykoz3 and AndyMead repped this.
  24. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Sure but some are suggesting Austin, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas should get 4. That is the point of my post and nice personal attacks by a moderator. Good job champ.
    I am trying to take the high road, but personal attacks make it very hard.

Not sure why you can't be civilized about it.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Google says
    BBVA Compass Stadium to Toyota Stadium - 268 miles
    BBVA Compass Stadium to McKalla Place - 163 miles
    Toyota Stadium to McKalla Place - 216 miles

Mapfre Stadium to Nippert Stadium - 109 miles
    Mapfre Stadium to Toyota Park - 333 miles

Audi Field to Talen Energy Stadium - 122 miles
    Audi Field to Red Bull Arena - 220 miles
    Audi Field to Yankee Stadium - 237 miles
    Talen Energy Stadium to Yankee Stadium - 122 miles
    Red Bull Arena to Gillette - 222 miles
    Gillette Stadium to Saputo Stadium - 340 miles

Avaya Stadium to Papa Murphy's Park - 121 miles
    BC Place to Century Link Field - 143 miles
    Providence Park to CenturyLink Field - 173 miles
    Orlando City Stadium to Miami International Airport - 227 miles

Personal curiosity
    WakeMed Soccer Park to Audi Field - 276 miles
    WakeMed Soccer Park to Mercedes Benz Arena - 399 miles
    WakeMed Soccer Park to Mapfre Stadium - 479 miles

sitruc, jaykoz3 and superdave repped this.