Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is this a "Garber hates soccer" post?

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I construed it as an I-still-boo-Santa confession. :)

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. But it shows that he's still influenced by his views formed as a NFL exec. Specifically, in regard to this thread, how he considers Columbus as a market vis a vis, for example, Cincy.

4. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Once PSV “gives” the stadium to the city of Austin, whats to stop the city from selling it to a third party? Leases are meant to be broken per Dave Greeley. Would be a shame if the owner decided to renegotiate the lease.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's amusing to think of. Precourt wants to break his lease at Mapfre and pay liquidated damages. There's no particular reason for the city of Austin to do that to Precourt but if they did he'd collect fair market value for the stadium which is probably a good bit less than it costs. As a city owned site, there's nothing to stop other developers from lobbying to replace the stadium with mixed use.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What's Wynalda's point? Is this a pro/rel argument?

8. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would seem like it, and he would also be correct. An open system wouldn't completely prevent relocations - but it would help saturate cities making them far less likely, while still creating a "******** you, we'll start our own club" fallback for cities with shitbag ownership.

don gagliardi repped this.
  9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd also destroy the first division in this country and likely any others that link up with it. But hey....we can be like Europe so it's winning amirite?!?!

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wynalda still doesn't understand climate, so I put very little importance in his comments about a great many things.

KCbus repped this.
  11. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask me how much I care about the survival of MLS right now.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about we make a pact with MLS? No more relocation of franchises in exchange for no more discussion of promotion and relegation. As shoplifter aptly says, no concern for MLS' well-being is warranted under circumstances in which the league exhibits no loyalty to its fans.

SierraSpartan and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You don't negotiate with terrorists. The Pro/Rel trolls will never stop trolling.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Can someone please tie Wynalda to a chair and show him typical weather in December-April in most of this vast, vast continent until he gets it?

Maybe stick him in Missouri in February naked for a week. See how long until he suffers from exposure.

oknazevad and PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver--just ask the Costa Ricans. Or Salt Lake City--heck put him out on the Navy Pier in Chicago.

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. Feraligatr19

Feraligatr19 Member

United States
    Dec 6, 2017
    Wait, climate doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pro/rel, does it? We could do pro/rel, but keep our March-October schedule

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we did that, the schedule would be the next excuse for the pro/rel brigade to ignore MLS, because its not like the rest of the world (by which they mean Europe, by which they mean England and Spain, by which they mean Man U/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Real/Barca).

CoronaOrange, oknazevad, mbar and 6 others repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wynalda bangs on the schedule drum like an ill-tempered infant, too. It's usually a package deal with him.

We could do pro-rel with the current schedule. It would be tremendously stupid, but we could do it - until the whole enterprise fell down, which would probably take two years, max.

19. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6019 shoplifter, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    ^^^ his argument tends to lean on aligning with transfer windows in which the majority of transfer activity occurs rather than 'soccer is better with a fall-spring schedule'

I'd prefer to be on the fall-spring calendar, again due to transfer alignment, but I realize there are legitimate problems that would need to be addressed to even consider it. That said, you're correct, a summer calendar has nothing to do with pro/rel.

It's better when not everyone can participate

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How do you address being in a climate zone that specifically has harsh winters as opposed to the arid or oceanic climates of the Western US and Europe? This is aside from the relatively shorter growing seasons, too.

I mean, aside from playing everything indoors?

21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    legitimate minor issues.
    Minor things, like kicking a ball that frozen into a rock. Small issues like losing a toe to exposure. Little things, like having nobody in the stands.

22. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To your point, I'm not sure you can, the best you could do is take most of December and all of January off and requiring heated pitches. Or just wait for global warming.

I'd *prefer* it, I'm not married to it.

23. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    And February...then you are right back to the schedule we have. I think in most places February is colder than December.
    Taking December through February off...sounds familiar.
    Would it make you guys happier if MLS just moved its start data but played the exact same calendar they do now? It really makes no sense.

24. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always going to be part of the season in shitty weather, no matter when it starts. Either the really important part at the end, or the beginning. Like I said, it's not a sticking point for me. I care far more about an open system that allows opportunity for everyone.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    We're talking about places like Minnesota where you can get -35F in February once in a while. Have a nice game!

Oh I know! The open system will make soccer teams so rich they will all be able to build domes!