Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder everyone...

JasonMa, jaykoz3 and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderators are a stupidface.

Crewmudgeon, JasonMa, El Naranja and 4 others repped this.
  3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been saving that one for a rainy day, haven't you?

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require pre-planning and is not a particularly skill that I utilize. However, you'd be amazed what comes up when you google "red card gif".

JasonMa repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, the point is that Ginther was not the Mayor of Columbus when the arena deal was done.

But it doesn't matter. (And I've never liked or voted for either him or the guy who actually was).

First of all because while the deal really screwed the taxpayers, well, stadium and arena deals almost always do. Not much unique in the CBus deal.

Second, let's just fast forward to 2019. If Manbaby Precourt gets his way, the Crew will be playing in a dirt patch in Austin. So if the deal had not been made to save the Bluejackets in 2011, there will be no professional sports team in Columbus at all. None.

So like it or not, saving the hockey team was an incredibly lucky thing for the city.

As for the current situaion, Ginther was onbe of the two officials who flew to NY to meet with Garbles and Manbaby to try and figure out what they wanted. Ginther is also the guy who recently offered 3 prime stadium sites to PSV, every one of them better, more downtown and more valuable than McKalla.

Aside from offering stadium sites worth tens of millions of dollars, he doesn't personally have 150 million bucks to buy the team or 250 mil to build a stadium so its hard to see how any of this is his fault.

Again, as ddar as I'm concerned the guy can drop dead and I wont shed any tears but blaming hjm for the Crew mess is ludicrous.

RafaLarios repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Ginther was president of council and went on the junket to the MLS ASG in KC, along with then mayor Coleman. I'm no fan of Ginther but he does support pro sports in Cbus, including the Crew. Once the team is locally owned, I imagine there will be more public support for the team.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. In any cas e, we kmow almoxt literally nothing about the package being assembled in the effort to keep the Crew. Almost no one does.

So to say that he's doing nothing and contributing nothing is utterly ridiculous. That jackwad troll knows exactly zip.

9. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez RSL and chrayatl repped this.
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapidly approaching the final stage...

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Eh, trial is set for next year with potentially years of appeals after that. So...

12. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yoshou was referring to my chart. We're not going to get to Purple, are we? o_O

POdinCowtown repped this.
  13. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dear

soundermiki repped this.
  14. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean...I don't know what to say.

[​IMG]

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4940 Yoshou, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Miki is right. I was, at the time, talking about entering the red stage of Miki’s chart. He’s since added a purple and, unless the postings aren’t real time, MLS/PSV went all up into the purp.

They did, however make sure the Austin Statesman got a copy. :)

https://www.statesman.com/sports/pr...l-art-modell-law-suit/LS8QKmUs4cBpprSbgy0P1L/

Since it would be a giant dick move to give Austin’s newspaper a copy and not file one with the court and opposing counsel, I’m guessing it probably means its not an auto update thing and they did beat the deadline.

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At minimum, opposing counsel didn't have one as of 11:00 p.m. local time. Like you, I'm going to assume that they in fact at least filed a copy of the motion with the court (and that it hasn't uploaded yet because they did it after hours), because that would just be insane to leak a copy to a newspaper in a different state, and not file a copy with the court per the stipulation.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay... If the Statesmen article is correct, is MLS seriously going to try and get around the subsidy rule in the Modell Law by claiming that since MLS is the owner of the Crew and the subsidies were made to the Hunts and not MLS that they don’t count?

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4943 Bill Archer, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
    Dear Kenn Tomasch, the man who has twice stomped off of B.S. in a fit of rage over people - me particularly - saying that MLS owns the teams, really working yourself into a righteous fury over the stupidity of people who just refuse to agree that the league does not own the teams because that structure was abandoned 15 years ago:

[mod edit]

The defendants say the law does not apply to the Crew because MLS, not PSV, is the “owner” of the franchise. The motion claims that because of this, MLS is the only defendant that could be subject to the statute.

Your argument is with the league and it's lawyers, not with ignorant morons who refuse to accept your brilliance.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Goff had a similar line about ownership structure in one of his recent article's about United's value almost like he was fed it.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was Goff there is no question it was fed to him.

jayd8888, sitruc and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's certainly an interesting argument to make when both the league and the I/Os refer to themselves at team owners in essentially all media and on the team webpages.

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Modell law applies to the owner of a team which plays in a publicly subsidized stadium. So it doesn't matter for Modell purposes if the owner is PSV or MLS. But the MLS filing would seem to undermine the arguments that notice was given last October or November. The MLS lawyer gave notice in March.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They don't seem to have embargoed the news until court opens in Ohio. So it was a dick move.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4949 Bill Archer, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
    It's not surprising that a complete juvenile like Precourt would run straight to Chris Bils with a copy of the filing before its actually been filed.

He's a twerp and a jerk and thinks no rules should apply to him because daddy has lots of money.

But why on God's Earth would the lawyers have given him an advance copy? He’s basically illiterate (I'm not making this up) so he couldn't help with editing, and he knows next to nothing so he can't really help with the facts either.

Of course its possible that this came from Greeley, since Precourt doesnt normally do manual labor and Bils is, after all, his dumpster of choice.

But giving it to Greeley makes even less sense.

And you can add in the fact that, by MLS own reckoning, Precourt isn't really even involved.

So either way it looks to me a lot like the lawyers sent him a copy and pretended they didn't know what he would do with it. "Gosh your honor, we had no idea"

jayd8888 and shoplifter repped this.
  25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's a high risk strategy. If the Ohio court pierces the legal fiction that the league and not the investors/owners own both the teams and the players there could be all sorts of legal and tax ramifications for MLS down the road.

tomásbernal, Pauncho and don gagliardi repped this.