Columbus Crew SC vs Chicago Pyre (Match 12 | May 12, 2018 7:30 PM ET)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 05/12/18 match vs Chicago?

Poll closed May 12, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

34.3%
  2. Win by one goal

42.9%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

5.7%
  4. Lose by one goal

8.6%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

2.9%
  6. Afful "goals the ball" and the Crew wins (worth 2 points!!)

2.9%
  7. "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth xGueis the Analytical?" - Patrick Guldan

2.9%
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I would have thought Sosa could make the 18. How tough is it to beat out Jahn.

That was a fun game to watch. Could easily have been 6-2. Ref was bad imo. There was an obvious handball that should have been reviewed and Sanchez did make contact with Zardes on the play where Gyasi was carded. But we ran the F*re off the pitch and had them looking for mercy by the end. Hansen's run was epic.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of note, we're the only team in the league who's played 12 games. Dallas has only given up 9 goals, but also only played 9 games.

I know Steffen's given up a couple of bad goals, but he's also largely responsible for these low numbers. The guy makes some ridiculously good saves almost every game.

3. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a really nice win and a great finish to a relatively tough week. The squad rotation worked nicely, I'm very glad Trapp got a night off and that Rico played so well when given that chance.

Chicago was pretty dreadful after that early chance they created that hit the post. They turned the ball over so easily, passing it right to us multiple times. I'm really pleased that we hammered them.

Santos pulling a hamstring on the opening kickoff was a new low for him. He played about 20mins in our 3 games in 8 days, half of those too injured to move. That's what you want from your DP winger.

I still maintain that we dropped 2 points in Seattle and the 3 games we did play were against sub-red line opponents. We can only play the teams in front of us though. Having some confidence as we head in to a 5 game stretch against 4 top teams and Toronto can't be a bad thing.

SourCream&OnionUtd and chr1st repped this.
  4. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    At age 25, I'm not sure the Euro option is there anymore.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on how well he does at the World Cup....

Oh, wait....;)

Seriously, though, he might get a look in a lesser league. Greece might be one of those options.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He is the hope and fulfillment of all our Jacob Thomas daydreams and nostalgia.

KHT_Crew repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    7 points in 9 was a good return this week, but as zman said, these were all teams below the red line and teams we should beat. That said, getting seperation from Chicago is key. I think Toronto obviously has a run in them. But being 10 points up on Chicago, even with 2 more games played is a pretty big gap.

In other shocking news, I'm nor ready to throw a parade just yet. The team has played the most home games in the league. Even with that they sit 5th in the East on ppg. And most importantly, they have yet to play any of the top 7 teams in the league on points (excluding Columbus) yet this season. All that points to some troubling signs on the horizon.

The next six games are big and will give us a better indication as to where we are in regards to the upper echelon of the league. It would be nice, especially, to get a win at NE this weekend since I imagine we'll be dropping points somewhere during that TFC, Red Bulls, and Atlanta homestand.

chr1st and hardhead repped this.
  9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. That hurts.

10. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    QFT.

The next month is going to be very challenging & will tell us much about how far this squad can go. I'd say if we dip below 7 or 8 points in these 5 matches, we have reason to be very worried. I'd be thrilled if we secured 10 or more. 7-9 would be a reasonable pull.

hangthadj repped this.
  11. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    There's a deep cut that deserves respect.

hangthadj repped this.
  12. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, thanks for such kind words, Chels. How much money did we agree on for compensation for your comments, I forget?

Here's to years of our kids being able to follow our footsteps in being Crew supporters!

P.S. I forgot to post these from a couple games ago.

Attached Files:

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

As I mentioned on Saturday, currently Markus is serenading the room with “build a bonfire.”

I hope we will get to tell our kids of our various run-ins with the Shitcago thugs over the years. And we will be in the new Crew stadium.

See below.

[​IMG]

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing about this game reminded me of Monty Python....
    [​IMG]

Mr. Bastian Schweinsteiger of Germany cannot be seen.

Mr. Schweinsteiger, will you please stand up?

Mr. Schweinsteiger is not in Columbus, so he cannot be seen.

But we found out where he is...

[​IMG]