Columbus Crew SC @ The Kanssouri WizKids | Match 14 - May 27, 2018 1800 EDT [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 22, 2018.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 05/27/18 match at Kansas City?

Poll closed May 27, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

6.7%
  2. Win by one goal

28.9%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

26.7%
  4. Lose by one goal

20.0%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

11.1%
  6. Vermes gets a red card because he's a stupid dummy and everyone hates him (worth 2 points!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. "The goals people remember, but scorers remember the near misses." - King Harrison Afful

6.7%
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true of any foul. Just because you don't break someone's leg with a two-footed diving challenge, doesn't mean you get away with it. The laws of the game are clear, no contact is needed to call a foul.

Direct quote from the laws (emphasis mine):

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

The laws usually don't state contact is a must for any infraction, it's the use or attempted use, or the foul or attempted foul. I like Martinez, but that was 100% a red card. He tried to slap the shit out of a guy in the face. Unacceptable.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Hands to an opponent's face is a point of emphasis this season. Aren't there referee instructions to the effect that it requires contact with more than negligible force? Someone quoted that in another thread.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a guideline, not a law. I mean, if Martinez stood there and KO punched Espinoza, it would be a red. You telling me if he took the same swing but barely missed, it would be 'no harm no foul'? Doesn't work that way.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was certainly a tough one. It came down to finishing. Similar to the Seattle game, we had 3 or 4 of the best chances in the match and didn't cash any of them in. A road draw against a good team is fine of course, but the game was ours and we didn't take it. I'm a little disappointed.

That red card call is one that can go either way. Pipa should never leave his feet there. Martinez will get a couple game ban, he'll be gone for the World Cup anyway, so it won't matter much in the grand scheme, but I hate to see that kind of nasty behavior from anyone. It was gross. Seemed like he was reacting to a pinch or grab of his tricep after, so I get that he was reacting to something, he's just got to be more composed. He was lucky that he didn't cost us the point.

The defense was great, again. I mentioned that Zusi is an important fulcrum of their offensive scheme. He was absolutely invisible. Before and after the red card. The team did a great job on him and all midfield threats, limiting space, time and forward options. I was really impressed.

I thought Artur was very good defensively but he had more turnovers this game than I've seen from him in a while. Pipa at one point gave him a bit of a talking to. I'm not sure what was going on there, but he was off in his attacking play.

We need our striker to finish those chances. Golden Boot winners finish those chances. I'm by no means getting off the GZHT express to glory, but if he's not scoring, we've shown that we don't have anyone else.

Tobias C and Crewmania repped this.
  5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the replay, it's clear to me that Higuain had to go. But the referee was also looking directly at the tackle and didn't even call a foul, which is what Berhalter pointed out as being ridiculous (and I agree).

Martinez behaving like a petulant child - it's pretty infuriating and we are lucky for the result since he wasnt dismissed. You just can't do that.

6. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Atlanta fan and general MLS watcher. Columbus probably deserved a 2nd red for the hand towards the face. The bigger problem was that there wasn't a video review. The VAR refs seem to have some control over the refs in MLS. Whatever the issue is, it needs to be fixed fairly.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I’m not mistaken, the rules are set up so that a player on a national team has to serve any league suspension while he’s actually with his club.

8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gigi ain't gonna let that red go.
    1001503351916417024 is not a valid tweet id

9. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No santos, higuain, trapp, Steffen for next few games.
    This should go well.

10. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do. Or do not. There is no try.

And then Martinez will make rocks and an X-wing levitate into the goal.

11. BringBackGino

BringBackGino Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2018
    Worthington, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can they go *back* and put Higuain back on the promotional photo?

DAFCrew and kgilbert78 repped this.
  14. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Sorry not in the budget since they spent 2 Million bucks on Queso, Scarves, and Precourt’s Bachelor party...

DAFCrew repped this.