Columbus Crew @ Orlando City SC | Match 21 - July 13, 2019 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jul 11, 2019.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 7/13/19 match vs Orlando?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2019.
  1. Caleb Porter Disasterclass (AKA Lose by two or more goals)

14.6%
  2. Lose by one goal

37.5%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

16.7%
  4. Win by one goal

14.6%
  5. Win by two or more goals

10.4%
  6. Quit Playing Games: Crew score ≥2 goals and keep a clean sheet (worth 2 points!!)

2.1%
  7. "We are at the edge of an abyss and we're close to being a really good soccer team." - CB9K

4.2%
  1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was afraid of that. When I noticed he wasn't even listed on the subs (despite the fact that you can name everyone on the subs bench in a tourney like this), I immediately jumped to the worst conclusion.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... no new players? Lose by 3.

3. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my 3 back lineup is hosed.

Afful (ugh) Crognale Keita Francis
    Trapp Sosa Artur
    Hansen Zardes Santos

What we're going to see

Afful Sauro Keita Francis
    Trapp Guzman
    Argudo Santos Hansen (or Accam if healthy)
    Zardes

Who cares either way. It will be miserably hot and maybe Orlando is tired. I'd like us to come out fast to try and score before we wilt then hang on, but this team doesn't score early (or late, or in the middle much either). Maybe Keita will play well and Trapp will help Guzman get his head out of his ass. Small steps.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd like to see more of Keita. He had the pass to JJ Williams vs RSL that broke down their defense and almost got us a PK.

5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If Mensah is out with injury then Keita pairs better with Sauro then Crognale.

We need Accam back

But our central midfield lacks scoring production and that’s not going to change we need a playmaker at 10 until then my expectations are we lose a lot

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Sauro is more likely to play the mentor/experienced role to steady Keita. I'd love to see more of him. He's raw, but he has the stature and passing ability to be top level. He needs time and games to develop his defensive understanding. No time like the present. Look what a consistent run of games has done of Lalas our in Colorado. Giving a young guy one game a month doesn't do much. I'd sacrifice some performance to give both Keita and Crognale the rest of the season together.

Tobias C, the_rickler and hangthadj repped this.
  7. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we expect Lalas to be back next year, or will Colorado buy/trade to keep him?

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    As far as we know, he's just on loan and they don't have a buy option on him. I think he's on a 2+2 contract so next year would be an option year for us.

He's played well for the Rapids so they'd probably like to complete a trade for him.

9. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To all who have already voted for a Crew victory, I’m sorry to inform you that the fat Panda will be in attendance tomorrow night this ensuring another road loss.

To those thinking Crognale makes the 18 tomorrow, I think you’re grossly naive after Porter’s dressing down in the post game presser last week.

chr1st repped this.
  10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so much that Crew manage to pull out a win. For you.

11. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be amazing but my limited road trip experience says highly unlikely. Regardless, it’ll be good to add the OCSC stadium to my list. Which will now contain:
    Avaya Stadium (USMNT)
    Bank of California (LAFC vs Crew)
    StubHub Center (Galaxy vs Impact)
    Cardinal Stadium - Naperville (Fire vs Crew)

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My list is an oddball one. Included are a HS stadium in Michigan, BlackBaud (or retail places?!?! sadface.gif), and one at the Riverhounds. Add in two different stadiums in both KC and Chicago. This non-exhaustive list has some major memories.

I really want to get back to away games. A few weeks ago I made up a quick note on my phone that listed potential Crew away games coupled with a Cedar Fair Park (like we did last year with the Wiz and Worlds of Fun).

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 Bill Archer, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    I don't do these polls usually since that lying cheating bastard Grouchy kept conspiring to screw me. How else can you explain going five straight months without getting even one lousy point? Had to have been him.

Nonetheless, I'm looking for a big win tonight as it begins to dawn on a bunch of guys that they're playing for their jobs. Either show some guts and play like you mean it or find yourself sharing a two bedroom efficiency in Charleston with a midfielder from Bosnia. Go tell your girlfriend how unfair it all is, how Caleb is a big meanie, Columbus is a sucky town.

I'm sure she'll be very sympathetic. We won't. We've seen more than enough of some of you worthless clowns.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My better half and I resolved last night that, within the next year, we'll see a match in LA - either team, doesn't matter to us - and also in Montreal.

Truth be told, we may turn into those people that visit other MLS stadia even when the Crew isn't in town.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    se,
    I can take LA or leave it.

Montreal - there's a treat. It's not anything like you imagine it is. Nothing at all.

Do your best to have literally no expectations, and just discover. Otherwise, you spend the first couple of days going "Wait a minute; this can't be right" before finally waking up and going "Wow!"

Much better to hit the ground at "Wow".

ZipSix and TRUJDUB repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw MLS Cup, but that is the only game out west I have seen. And I was a poor graduate student at the time. Basically a poor student for years.

We are most likely going to continue to hit games that are in “driving distance.” I just do not know when that might be. We have talked of adding to our family plus as kids get deeper in youth sports I am resigned to give up some of these fantasies. For now.

As for non-Crew games? I do not see that as a major draw (or even minor one). I think I have only been to one MLS non-Crew game (not counting AllStar games). It was back in the heyday of Sack Andrulis.

Oh and you have (from what I can tell) a pretty neat spouse.

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 LaMacchia, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Same, the entirety of Southern California can fall off into the ocean for all I care. But I'd make a trip to a Crew match the jewel of a long weekend. Just once.

That's encouraging. That will probably be more than a long weekend trip, given everything else the city has to offer.

Is there any other way to travel?

I don't think we'd ever schedule a trip around a non-Crew match. But if we happen to be in an MLS city while a match is occuring I'd look at dropping by (this is especially true for business travel, I came this close to going to an Orlando v someone match last year just because I was in town).

Indeed, I'm batting waaay above my average.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just passed Crew Stadium. Car show this weekend? Parking spots are scarce.

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The annual Good Guys PPG Nationals.

Every year I say I'm finally going to go to that, then I'm reminded that tickets are $25 and I nope right out.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stubhub Center (or whatever it’s called these days), is an interesting place.

But Banc of California Stadium is amazing. Go next year to get an idea of what’s coming for us in 2021. It’s beautiful.

WhiteHartShame and LaMacchia repped this.
  21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My paltry list:
    RFK ,96-‘99—multiple DCU and USMNT games over a 4 yr period that I lived in the area

Arrowhead, KC 2002—Crew vs Whizzers. That place is MAMMOTH!

Home Depot/Stub Hub/whatever, 2004—Galaxative game while visiting a friend in LA. Other than being an all-seater (no bleachers), I wasn’t that impressed.

Bridgeview 2012—Crew vs F!re. Stadium was ok; NOTHING nearby.

Nippert this spring for Food Lion’s home opener. I like Nippert, and there are watering holes within walking distance. I think it could have worked for it to be a permanent home, except for the rental thing, Bearcats football, and mL$’s whole “gotta have your own sss” thing.

22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about RFK. USMNT v Scotland in 1998 for the World Cup send off match. Woof.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Montreal really is fantastic.

After the dopes at American Airlines conspired to completely ******** up our trip to Portugal last year and we had to cancel, I moped around for about 36 hours. Eventually my wife and I just decided to drive to Montreal. I hadn't been since jr high, she had never been. We had no hotel reservations, just playing it on the fly doing the Hotel Tonight thing the app on our phone at the last minute. We stayed for we were there for 4 days and 3 nights. Loved every second of it.

We expected to be in a wine cellar in Porto for our anniversary. Instead we were eating like kings in old Montreal everything accessible on foot. We hilariously were a few tables down from Timothee Chalamet at some restaurant that had just opened that week the night of our anniversary. There are only two places in North America that could have got me out of that canceled Portugal trip funk, New Orleans...and now I know Montreal.

On a side note we marveled more than a few times that it is only a five hour drive for us. We often travel down to Ocean City, MD since my father in law has a condo down there and it's only 5 hours. We are able to rationalize it as a quick weekend getaway. Now, I love the beach in offseason, it's one of my favorite things. But this October or November, we'll be taking that 5 hour drive north again, instead of south.

Minnman and LaMacchia repped this.
  24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Line up

Bendik

Francis
    J Williams
    Sauro
    Afful