Columbus Crew @ New York Yankees Football Club | Match 21 - July 14, 2018 7:00 PM ET

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jul 9, 2018.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 07/14/18 match at NYCFC?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

7.9%
  2. Win by one goal

15.8%
  3. Tie

7.9%
  4. Lose by one goal

26.3%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

31.6%
  6. All Aboard: Gyasinho Hat Trick (worth 2 points!!)

2.6%
  7. "Possession is nine-tenths of a win." - Gregg Berhalter

7.9%
  1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KHT rewarded.

[​IMG]

Draghignazzo and TKyle repped this.
  2. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Now I'm hungry again.

3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the "grass" over the infield is just dangerous. How many players on both sides end up on the ground because of terrible footing? I can think of at least 4.

ibrew repped this.
  4. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This prob even more important due to safety.

I just cant get over how tiny the field is though. They spoke about difficulty fing a location as if there were no resources to check on NYC real estate conditions prior to launching a team in NYC. Was pricey real estate in NYC a black swan event to these guys?

5. DOGSO

DOGSO Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 24, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    OK, I see where you are heading with this. I agree that less balls at the keeper's feet lead to less errors for him. That doesn't necessarily mean less errors overall from our D. You would think it would but ... I'm also not certain that Steffen is the least skilled player with his feet on our D :).

Guess the point is ALL teams will have to play to the keeper regardless of system. The error in this instance really had nothing to do with system or style of play. Honestly, I think the biggest issue is Steffen's risk aversion. I'm not actually sure he has ANY aversion to risk when his position requires him to have the most. On many occasions he has picked the most risky of options when multiple "play simple and safe" avenues are available. On this occasion he picked a terrible option AND backed that up with a poorly executed pass.