Colorado Springs Switchbacks Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Srodgers, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Pollard7545

Pollard7545 Member

Philadelphia Union
    May 17, 2009
    Bear, Delaware
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like for some help from you guys in relation to a project that I am doing. I am using the FIFA 10 PC game to create the teams of MLS, NASL, USL and some NPSL teams. Since you guys know the players can you rate the players for this team? Also if you know who the captain of the team is that would be helpful as well. Please keep in mind that ratings for MLS players are between 60s and 70s and NASL players from MLS are between 50s and 60s. So USL players should be between 40s and 50s. Here is the team I need help from you guys to rate:
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks
    As of March 20, 2015
    No. Position Player Nation
    2 Defender Josh Phillips United States
    3 Defender Stan Schrock United States
    5 Defender Jamie McGuinness England
    17 Defender Kareem Smith Trinidad and Tobago
    21 Defender Shintaro Harada Japan
    22 Defender Taylor Hunter (on loan from Houston Dynamo) United States
    30 Defender Kley Bejarano Colombia
    34 Defender J. J. Greer United States
    9 Forward Martin Maybin Northern Ireland
    10 Forward Miguel Gonzalez Mexico
    11 Forward Saeed Robinson Jamaica
    12 Forward Mike Seth United States
    18 Forward Aaron King United States
    1 Goalkeeper Devala Gorrick United States
    23 Goalkeeper Samir Badr United States
    — Goalkeeper Jeremy Crumpton United States
    4 Midfielder Luke Vercollone United States
    6 Midfielder Davy Armstrong United States
    7 Midfielder Nate Robinson United States
    8 Midfielder Rony Argueta United States
    13 Midfielder Kevin Durr United States
    14 Midfielder Carlos Contreras Honduras
    25 Midfielder Jordan Burt United States

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. ColoGunnerFan

ColoGunnerFan Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win for the Switchbacks. 1-0 over defending champion Sacramento. Colorado Springs leads the Western Conference.

4. ColoGunnerFan

ColoGunnerFan Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing result for Colorado Springs, 3-3 against Sacramento. It's nice to see a club in Colorado that actually cares about winning. Decent crowd of 3,152 despite a 1:20 minute lightning delay.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's their capacity at their stadium?

6. ColoGunnerFan

ColoGunnerFan Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's listed at 3,500, but there is room for expansion.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart95 repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=210636296

Thursday, January 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC announced on Thursday it had re-signed forward Martin Maybin for his second season with the club.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticl...17&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210633609&DB_OEM_ID=32800

Wednesday, January 13, 2016
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC announced the return of one of its key attacking pieces from the club’s inaugural season on Wednesday, as forward Aaron King re-signed with the club for the new season.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticl...17&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210627341&DB_OEM_ID=32800

Monday, January 11, 2016
    One of Colorado Switchbacks FC’s top young players will be back with the club for the 2016 season, it was announced on Monday, with Jordan Burt set to build on a promising 2015 campaign.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticl...17&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210621306&DB_OEM_ID=32800

Friday, January 8, 2016
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC announced Thursday the return of center back J.J. Greer for the 2016 season.

Stuart95 repped this.
  9. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    #109 teamed, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Well so far so good from the Switchbacks this off season. They have brought back the entire first 11 except for the left back position which was sort of manned by committee at the end of the season after Bejerano left the team. So, at the very least, they should be equipped to make a push for the playoffs and repeat a stellar first season in existence.

For the rest of the off season and into the first few games, we will see what kind of depth and upgrades the team will have. I like the midfield, but I do wonder if father time will catch up at all with Vercollone, and Harada. We know Argueta is a good player, but do they go with the backups from last year, or bring in some new blood? We can't expect Vercollone to have another year like last year at his age-just an incredible career year.

Attacking wise, everyone is back. Gonzales had a great year on the left, but I would like to see more goals from the center and right attackers. The goals are there to be had in this offense, we just need the players to take them. So this is a big year for Saeed Robinson on right who had an injury disrupted season. He has the skill and athleticism to score double digit goals at USL level, lets hope things come together for him. I would like to see another wide player added who can push these two guys. Seth is one player who plays in the front 3 at times, but he is not really a goal scorer, but more of a battering ram/physical presence. A quick and skilled player like Eloundou from the Rapids loan at the end of last season would be ideal.

At center forward King returns as does Maybin. The veteran King is probably the better overall player at this stage, but Maybin might be the purer finisher. It will be interesting to see who is added here because, in this offense there is just so much potential to score, and I don't think King is ruthless enough in front of goal score double digit goals. With Maybin, I don't know if he is athletic enough. He makes good runs and gets into pockets of space well, he just needs service. I expected more goals from Hofmann when he was here on loan, so we will see if they bring in another guy like this who seemingly possesses the best attributes of both King and Maybin.

At the back its good to see Phillips and Greer return, they are a solid CB pairing. I thought we might loose Phillips to MLS when he had that trial, but I'm glad he is back. Burt is a good RB, so LB is the only big question. Nate Robinson did pretty well filling in there at the end of the season, although his crossing wasn't great. Gorrick is a good Keeper, and I think they kept the right one ;)

So lets see what happens as they put the finishing touches on the roster and kick on into training camp. We have a lot to look forward to!

Stuart95 repped this.
  10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Colorado Springs stadium situation/outlook, just curious.

teamed repped this.
  11. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    They are on year 2 of a 10 year lease at Sand Creek Stadium in the NE part of Colorado Springs. It is a stadium originally built for US soccer in the 80's but was never used. Colorado Springs is home to the US Olympic Training Center and I guess they were going to do something with US soccer as well but it never really came to fruition. The stadium is on the same property as the Triple A Sky Sox baseball team.

It is a good stadium, capacity of 4,000 and they will add a few seats per season as per USL rules. Big enough for the Switchbacks as they usually get 2,500 to 3,000 ish. Pitch is not the greatest but not terrible either-especially when you compare it to some of the garbage in this league. It cut up quite a bit in the spring storms we had last year.

There has been developments in the last week with the Sky Sox threatening to leave the city. Their attendances have been real bad of late. I know they want a downtown stadium and there have been pushes by the last Mayor to try to get a downtown stadium built, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I think the Switchbacks would be interested in playing downtown as well, but the problem is that the Sky Sox and Switchbacks don't really have much of a relationship. I think it is the Sky Sox that are to blame, but I don't know a great deal about the specifics. If they got together, I'm sure they would have a better chance of getting something done. Colorado Springs could really use the downtown development, it is a town of 450,000 but the downtown looks like that of a town half the size.

greenroom and Blando13 repped this.
  12. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    In the last week, the big development has been the signing of left back Josh Suggs. Trittschuh called him one of the best left backs in the league, so we can all be happy about that. It was the only real hole on this roster, and the Switchbacks have done well to bring this guy in.

Looking at his stats, he seemed to have finally found a home at Orange County Blues the last 2 years. He bounced around for a bit after college playing at San Jose Earthquakes, and Tampa and Atlanta in NASL (and playing very few games for these teams). But he played striker in college, and was a late convert to left back, so that would seem to explain the late development. That would also explain him looking very comfortable going forward with the ball at his feet, playing one twos and taking on defenders. He has good size and athleticism, and seems to be able to put in a tackle when required. I rewatched OCB vs Switchbacks from last year and I think he'll fit in well here. Two quality teams that play a similar attacking style. Here is a very positive article on him from socal soccer blog (and formerly Chivas USA Blog) The Goat Parade: http://www.thegoatparade.com/2016/1...y-blues-2015-player-postmortem-josh-suggs-usl
    SFC have also resigned Armstrong and Durr from last year as midfield depth. They mainly saw time late in games off the bench to see games out. If Harada or Vercollone went down for a long stretch, I would imagine Seth would be the main candidate to step in to the midfield 3 (like last year).

Also in SFC news, the preseason schedule has been released and will be similar to last year, containing local Divison 2 college teams, Division 1 Air Force, and PDL Real Colorado. Last year, they played a lot of low scoring draws against similar opposition (they may have even lost a few I don't really remember), but with the whole team intact from last year, they should get off to a much better start than last year.

Stuart95 repped this.
  13. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teamed, great info. Somewhat off topic but do you know why the Sky Sox and Rockies ended their relationship? It was nice having the AAA affiliate and parent club so close.

teamed repped this.
  14. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    Thanks Stuart95! I only know what has been in the papers with regards to the Sky Sox... Which is that the move to Albuquerque happened primarily due to Albuquerque having a newer and nicer stadium. I've also read that they didn't like the field conditions at Security Service Field (especially for the pitchers), and that they wanted the Sky Sox to move to a downtown stadium. But like I said, I don't have any special knowledge and have only been to 1 Sky Sox game in recent years.

I guess I understand it from the Rockies point of view. It's an aging, unspectacular stadium built in the 80's with very low average attendance compared to the rest of the league-and volatile/windy weather.

Stuart95 repped this.
  15. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    Recent developments are: They have signed OCB backup Goalkeeper William Thompson to replace Badr who is now playing for Bethlehem Steel. It is probably safe to say he will be backup and start 5 to 10 games like Badr did last year. They also brought back versatile backup midfielder Nate Robinson.

It's official now-camp has opened. And what is also official is that the Switchbacks have doubled down on last years squad. They have brought in very few new faces. And this can be positive or negative-there are different schools of thought...The positive is that since chemistry was so good (and results were good as well) they didn't want to disturb it by making wholesale changes. The negative viewpoint would be that you need to bring in a few new faces to push the incumbents to the next level. That players will get too comfortable without somebody pushing them.

Of course we still have the possibility of loans. And I would expect that after MLS camps shake out, a player or two will join at that time. But I must say that I am a little disappointed that we did not bring a player in from the much ballyhooed winter tryouts. I was hoping we could find some unknown gem of an attacker or something fun to watch develop in the 2016 season. At this point the main things I will be watching will be if Saeed Robinson can live up to his potential, and what kind of development or increased role Marty Maybin will have.

Also, since the last time I have posted SFC news here, the full USL Schedule has been announced. I am pretty happy with the first few games. I like opening at OKC on the road early in the season. Midway through the season last year, after SFC achieved first place in the West, they started playing a more open game on the road. While it made for entertaining games, you could argue that it backfired a few times. So playing OKC early in the season will be good because we will play a more conservative and defensive game then we did late last year on the road. I couldn't be any happier with the home opener-Frank Freakin' Yallop and AU! Welcome to 6500 feet Frank Yallop!

Lastly, something I just noticed about a week ago was that they have changed the name of the stadium from Sand Creek Stadium to Switchbacks Stadium. To me, this is a little silly. A lot of fans liked the name the way it was and there have been a few complaints. I think the supporters group called the stadium "Fortress Sand Creek" and were going to add this to a scarf design they had in the works. Switchbacks Stadium? A little generic sounding to me.... It's like when they move everything around in a grocery store or they change a website that already functions well. Change is good when it needs to happen, but not for its own sake.

Stuart95 repped this.
  16. ColoGunnerFan

ColoGunnerFan Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teamed, thanks for the updates! I was a bit more involved in the early going, but it's been difficult to stay very close being in Pueblo and having some other issues arise. I do plan on attending more matches this year.

I do know that if the downtown stadium becomes a reality, the Switchbacks intend to make that a permanent home. But, for now, they are quite content where they are, and will make more improvements to make it a top quality stadium. You are also correct about the Sky Sox not wanting the Switchbacks there. They really wanted nothing to do with them, and made it difficult during the construction of the stadium.

There have been overtures made to the Sky Sox to move. The Rockies pulled their affiliation due to the high altitude, lack of suitable facilities, and no prospect of any in the future. There was an opening in Albuquerque, as the Dodgers purchased the Oklahoma City team themselves. No one wanted the Sky Sox, the Brewers were stuck with them as they were the only team that was left without an affiliate at the time.

I'm definitely looking forward to the season in Springs much more than the Rapids season :)

17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    I went to the exhibition game against UCCS which they won 3-2. It brings their preseason record to 5-0, all against local college teams. The good news is they won and have performed considerably better against these teams this preseason than a year ago.

The bad news is they were sloppy at times. Some of that is the pitch which didn't look good. Its always had its bobbley spots, but last year I didn't think too negatively about it because of the abnormal amount of spring rain we had. But with so much dormant grass on it, it really didn't cushion those uneven spots at all. I'm not an expert in turf management, but I'd put the pitch a little higher on the list of priorities than it is currently.

That said, it was commendable that the Switchbacks played the whole first half with the ball on the ground-short passing and dominating possession. If they hadn't had moments where they shut off to allow the 2 UCCS goals, at their best they could have beaten this team by a big number. But they did lose concentration twice as UCCS sat deep and compact as they tried to win the ball to bang upfield into space. They scored on a far post header that nobody picked up and on a pk that was a poor foul by Harada (who would know better).

SFC goals were scored by Vercolone, Seth, and Gonzalez. I thought Seth was the best guy on the pitch-he played the full 90, while most guys were subbed off at 60'. Verc, Harada, and Argueta dominated the center of the park but I wasn't that impressed with a lot of the others. I didn't think Gonzalez was that good although his goal was a spectacular volley. The outside backs were ok but not great. Maybin didn't really get into the game. I didn't think Philips had a great game passing wise. I thought the trialist CB that partnered with Philips was very good on the ball and had good touch for a real big guy. He also seemed to defend pretty well. I didn't get his name though. Subs wise nobody really stood out except Davey Armstrong who converted to RB rampaging forward. It was pretty much just head ping pong after the starters left in the 60th minute. Neither team really got it down and played anything worth mentioning.

Overall a lot of poor first touches that stopped promising attacks dead in their tracks. I'm trying to work out how much of that was the pitch and how much of that was the players. We'll soon find out as they go out to California to play exhibition games against real competition in OC Blues and LAG2.

Stuart95 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  19. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    The Switchbacks have concluded their California exhibition road trip with a 1-1-1 record. Beating Ventura County Fusion (PDL) 4-0, drawing with OC Blues 0-0, and losing to the LAG2 4-2. It's good to finally play some USL teams and for the players and coaches to test themselves against a better level than what they have been playing here locally. There really aren't any articles about these games (just a few tweets). I would assume Coach T varied his tactics a bit. Judging from the scores they probably played more openly in the first and third games and maybe set up to defend and counter against OCB?

The preseason ends with the Switchbacks 7-1-1 and it's at OKC on Saturday! I'd be more than happy with a defensive 0-0 draw. Get the shape nice and solid to begin the year and counter. OKC will be tough if they are anything like last year. They are a good team that like to knock it around with a good crowd and atmosphere. They've also played a better preseason schedule than the Switchbacks. One thing I will say though, is that their announcers and camera operators were pretty classless last year. I can still hear that ultra biased English color commentator's voice in my head and picture the camera cutting away from opposing team's goal scoring celebrations.

Also, on the topic of OKC soccer, it's pretty amazing that they will have 2 pro teams with Rayo OKC starting this year. I am really interested to see how they draw vs one another. I find it amazing that Rayo Vallecano's owner would start a team in the middle of america where there is already a pro team. Rayo Vallecano is a good club from the Madrid Barrio, that is involved with helping the poor in that part of Madrid. If Rayo OKC will have that same sort of humanitarian philosophy it won't be hard for me to pick a favorite OKC club. Hopefully Rayo Vallecano stays up, because getting relegated probably wouldn't be good for the owners cash flow in terms of getting Rayo OKC off the ground.

Stuart95 repped this.
  20. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    First off, props to USL for taking a step in the direction of providing better more consistent streams. This year they are all based out of the USL YouTube site rather than spread around at each of the team's YouTube sites. Now they also have the same logo and screen appearance as well. They also have seemed to have raised their minimum standard for announcing at first glance. I complained about the OKC announcing team, and those two hacks are gone this year. The two new guys were decent, and the announcing in the other games I saw ranged from decent to very good. Having the minimum standard as "decent" instead of "total hack" is a good improvement.

On to the game-It couldn't have been a better start to the season for the Switchbacks. I was advocating a conservative start to the season, but Trittschuh did the exact opposite. From the opening whistle the Switchbacks were camped out in the OKC half imposing themselves on The Energy. The first half was the best pressing I have seen from them. It was full throttle-hunting in packs and winning every loose ball. OKC was clearly rattled in the first half and quite frankly looked like the visiting team as they were played off their own patch for the vast majority of the half.

After a spell around the 30 minute mark where OKC finally was able to possess the ball and knock it around a bit in the midfield, but the ball ended up back in the OKC third where some school boy defending and terrible communication between the Goalkeeper and Center backs gifted Marty Maybin an easy goal-as he took a loose ball around the Keeper. The rest of the first half was more of the same as SFC pushed forward for a second goal.

As the second half got going, it wasn't as one sided as the first. More of a 50/50 mix in terms of advantage, with OKC applying most of the pressure at the end. The game winning goal was scored by Miguel Gonzalez cutting in across the top of the 18 yard box to eventually getting his shot away high past the keeper. Great strike. Gonzalez is clearly one of the best wide offensive players in USL, and a lot of this is that he is such a great striker of the ball from 20 or so yard out. He is capable of brilliant things-I get on him because he occasionally throws in some shockingly bad touches, but he's definitely quite a player.

The OKC goal off the corner gave the Energy hope, but I expected more from OKC. They clearly had the run of play at the end, but they were out worked throughout and just didn't have enough moments of quality. I thought the goal was a Phillips OG, but it was given to Konig.

Players that stood out for me were Ibeagaha (the trialist CB I mentioned in an above post). He is a Nigerian that played college soccer at Duke and has floated around playing in less games then you would expect (reminds me of Suggs). But he played a close to perfect game-at least when he was around the ball (I didn't focus on him off the ball). Argueta and Kim (another recent signing) also really controlled the midfield providing a physicality that frustrated OKC.

Looking forward to Arizona United here in a few weeks!

TheJoeGreene and Stuart95 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LH USOC

Wednesday, May 18

Pittsburgh Riverhounds v. Long Island Rough Riders (NY)/Lansdowne Bhoys (NY) winner
    Rochester Rhinos v. Southie FC (MA)/Seacoast United Phantoms (NH) winner
    Saint Louis FC v. GPS Portland Phoenix (ME) v. AFC Cleveland (OH) winner
    Charleston Battery v. The Villages SC (FL)/Kraze United (FL) winner
    Wilmington Hammerheads v. Miami Fusion (FL)/Boca Raton FC (FL) winner
    Louisville City v. Michigan Bucks (MI)/Detroit City (MI) winner
    FC Cincinnati v. Indy Eleven NPSL (IN)/Cincinati Dutch Lions FC (OH) winner
    OKC Energy v. Mississippi Brilla FC (MS)/CD Motagua New Orleans (LA) winner
    San Antonio FC v. NTX Rayados (TX) /Corinthians FC San Antonio (TX) winner
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks v. Albuquerque Sol FC (NM)/Harpos FC (CO) winner

teamed repped this.
  22. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    #122 teamed, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Thoughts on the home opener: It was just a great feeling to have live pro soccer back after an off season that seemingly took forever. There were opening day kinks like logistical disorganization in the staffing with stadium entry and some long lines, also some high winds blew down and broke new some shade umbrellas-but overall not too many negatives. There were also some positives with colorful new banners with the Colorado Springs logo, new scoreboard, new walkway connecting the east and west sides and a few other bells and whistles like a kids play area that I don't remember from last year.

It was also a rare day game (there was one last year and the next home game will be a day game) which is sort of a risk with all the kid's activities that take place on a Saturday afternoon. But with the possibility of nasty April Rocky Mountain weather, it's probably a risk worth taking. At first it was looking like a risk that would not pay off as it took a late arriving crowd to fill the stadium to about 3/4 full. I haven't seen an attendance number, but I'd guess in the 2,700 to 3,200 range which is a bit of a disappointment for a home opener. Down the stretch last year they were seeing crowds of 3,500 + (80 to 90 % capacity).

It will be interesting to see how attendance plays out this year. They are a good exciting team, a better product than other USL teams that play in bigger markets that draw larger crowds. I'm still amazed we have a pro soccer team in Colorado Springs, because I hardly think of this as a soccer hotbed, so in that sense the ownership still have a fair bit of work to do in terms of educating the locals. And make no mistakes, they're doing a great job. They have built up good partnerships with local businesses, media, and politicians, they just need to continue educate the masses on the game that all of us BS posters/readers love so much. The Ragians' certainly deserve a lot of praise, but I will criticize the club in regards to the pitch. They playing surface just flat out needs to improve. Minimally, at least get some grass seed in the barren patches on the east side, water it in every other day as it gets going. This should have been done a month ago.

Alright, a bit of rambling but I'll tie it into the game. Watching the warm ups it was pretty apparent what Arizona United would do. All they practiced was getting high crosses into the box and some shots from distance, while the Switchbacks did their customary warm up with the condensed fast one/two touch "mini game." But the pitch conditions were not ideal for this type of pass and move style, and the game devolved into a battle of long balls, which I expect from most visiting teams, but generally the Switchbacks try to posses the ball a bit more and work the passing game. But tactically I understand not wanting to play it out of the back or play a lot of passes in general on a pitch that just has too many question marks.

Quite frankly, there is not much to say on the game. It wasn't great-the Switchbacks were clearly the better team and could've (or should have) scored more goals, but it was an ugly, physical game with lots of starts and stops. I thought Davala Gorrick was great in goal dealing with all the high balls AU was getting in the box. He was confident and commanding. I think he could play at MLS level at least as a backup. Some of his movements look a bit awkward or not the most athletic, but he's a very solid keeper. Mike Seth was great and got his goal as a just reward in a fittingly blue collar fashion. But I can pretty much say Seth is great every game because his work rate is always top shelf, and in general he is a warrior out there.

Two games and two wins, can't start any better! And after the way they pressed OKC on the road to start the season, I'm excited to see how they attack S2 in Seattle next weekend. With the high altitude training, improved depth, and improved pressing, the Switchbacks could be equally good on the road this year, which would make them really scary.

FootySkeptic and Stuart95 repped this.
  23. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    -18 shots for the Switchbacks (13 for S2 and 6 each on goal). Didn't seem like there were that many to me. Thought it was pretty even in terms of shots and run of play.

-I thought the tempo was good and both teams closed down well.

-The passing wasn't great-and part of that was the closing down by both teams.

-Saw a couple of nice counterattacking passing movements from the Switchbacks, but overall not enough quality on the night to create what was needed.

-I thought the penalty was a good call. Just a poor challenge from Phillips...

-Very direct from both teams. Both teams tried to win the ball and break, or hit long balls out of the back to bypass the impending pressure.

-Personally, If the Switchbacks are going to play that direct, I would like to see 4-4-2 with Maybin and King up top, Gonzalez and Saeed on the wings, with Vercolone dropping slightly deeper with Seth or Argueta holding. I just don't think they need two holding midfielders when most of the play has bypassed the midfield (in theses last two games at least- OKC likes to possess the ball and play through the middle a bit more) .

-I thought Kim and Argueta were largely redundant, and was glad when Kim was subbed for off for Saeed.

-If they stick to 4-3-3 against San Antonio, I wouldn't mind seeing Harada come in for Kim. Or, Seth play deeper to allow either Saeed Robinson or King get a start on the front line to get some more speed on the field. It will be interesting this Saturday to see weather they will try to posses the ball a bit more, or continue to play direct.

-If you're in the Colorado Springs area, get out and support this team! It looks like the Sky Sox have said adios, lets not lose the Switchbacks too!

ColoGunnerFan and Stuart95 repped this.
  24. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014
    Today's game was a pretty good one in some difficult windy conditions. The field looks like it is improving as well, which will help increase the quality of soccer. The crowd steadily got better, and actually looked really good in the second half as the sun came out about the time Marty Maybin put in the game winning goal. He's scored 3 in 4 to start the season, all 3 very easy goals, but he puts himself in very good positions a la Wondolowski.

With Devala Gorrick leaving the game with a head injury at about the 20 minute mark, I definitely was a bit worried, but new signing Billy Thompson came in and did a great job. Lead by Thompson the defense was solid, and I think we started to see some better attacking play by the Switchbacks as well. The last home game was sort of disjointed because of all the fouls, but this one was more free flowing, with both teams having some good spells of possession and breaks.

Two good teams in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how San Antonio do with their next 4 of 5 at home. They have had a lot of road games to start the season, but I thought they were a good side. They had a good defensive shape, but also got forward well and "tried to play" a lot more than a lot of visiting teams that come here.

As for the Switchbacks, 9 points out of 12 is very impressive. And I don't really think they've scratched the surface of what they can do attacking wise. If and when Vercollone and Gonzalez heat up, then we may see some of the big lopsided scores we saw here last year. But defensively, and overall shape wise they have looked really good so far this season.

Next week will bring the first night home game as our Rocky Mountain Brethren Real Monarchs come to town. Early indications are looking like weather may be a factor, so we could be in for a an interesting one like last year's snow game. We had great results vs Real Monarchs last year, but they look a much improved outfit this year. However, they'll have to play a Tuesday night game midweek while the Switchbacks are resting.

ColoGunnerFan and Stuart95 repped this.
  25. ColoGunnerFan

ColoGunnerFan Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switchbacks looked very solid yesterday. Defensively, they appear very solid so far. Thompson was great in his back up role. SFC is pretty deep for a USL club. I'm thrilled to see the success they are having, they are definitely building at a good pace. Monarchs are always a tough test even though SFC seems to fare well against them. Let's get out and support them!!

teamed repped this.