Colorado Rapids v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, March 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 18, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A road game? That's not good.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Colorado Rapids v. Houston Dynamo
    When: Saturday, March 30 @ 8:00 pm CDT
    Where: Dick's Sporting Goods Park; Commerce City, CO
    Records: Colorado Rapids (0-1-2), 9th place WEST
    Houston Dynamo (2-0-1), 3rd place WEST
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: None

This is the 4th league game for Houston and the 5th for Colorado in the 2019 MLS regular season. This is the first MLS road game for the Dynamo this year.

The Dynamo got a home win, 2-0, in June and a road tie, 0-0, in July against Colorado in 2018.

Colorado finished 2018 in 11th place in the West. They have started off 2019 with two home draws and a road loss. The Rapids are 1-1-3 in their last five regular season league games going back to last year scoring 6 goals and allowing 7. Colorado will play at Dallas on March 23 before returning home to host Houston. The Rapids are 0-0-2 in home games so far this year. Last year they were 6-8-3 in home games. After the Dynamo game they next travel to Orlando on April 6.

The Dynamo are now 2-2-1 in their last five games in all competitions scoring 5 goals and allowing 6. Houston is 1-1-0 in road games overall so far this year with both of those in the CCL. Houston was 2-10-5 in road MLS games in 2018.

The Dynamo will next get a league bye and then host San Jose on Saturday, April 13, before traveling to LA Galaxy on Friday, April 19.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo @ Colorado, all-time:

04/29/06 COR 0-1 HOU
    07/26/06 COR 1-0 HOU
    05/05/07 COR 1-3 HOU
    08/11/07 COR 1-0 HOU
    06/21/08 COR 0-0 HOU
    10/04/08 COR 1-3 HOU
    08/30/09 COR 1-0 HOU
    08/28/10 COR 3-0 HOU
    07/03/11 COR 0-0 HOU
    10/27/12 COR 2-0 HOU
    06/01/14 COR 3-0 HOU
    08/26/15 COR 2-1 HOU
    10/23/16 COR 1-1 HOU
    07/01/17 COR 3-1 HOU
    07/14/18 COR 0-0 HOU

That's 3-8-4 with 10 goals scored and 19 allowed.

3. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    When playing at altitude it seems to me the owner should put the team in the away location a couple of extra days ahead of time to get acclimatized - maybe a few more red corpuscles generated before the match to help with endurance / oxygenation.

We really need Figueroa back for this one. My hope would be to get a draw at the minimum.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require extra ownership investment in travel costs. I’m not sure our current ownership group likes to make those extra investments in operational cost areas.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    My family owns a condo up in one of the ski resorts so I've spent a lot of time out there. A couple of days does nothing. A couple of weeks, maybe.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    UPDATED after Colorado's game on March 23:

Who: Colorado Rapids v. Houston Dynamo
    When: Saturday, March 30 @ 8:00 pm CDT
    Where: Dick's Sporting Goods Park; Commerce City, CO
    Records: Colorado Rapids (0-2-2), 9th place WEST
    Houston Dynamo (2-0-1), 3rd place WEST
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: None

This is the 4th league game for Houston and the 5th for Colorado in the 2019 MLS regular season. This is the first MLS road game for the Dynamo this year.

The Dynamo got a home win, 2-0, in June and a road tie, 0-0, in July against Colorado in 2018.

Colorado finished 2018 in 11th place in the West. They have started off 2019 with two home draws and a road loss. The Rapids are 1-1-3 in their last five regular season league games going back to last year scoring 6 goals and allowing 7. Colorado lost 2-1 at Dallas on March 23 before returning home to host Houston. The are now 1-2-2 in their last five games going back to last year with 7 goals scored and 9 allowed. The Rapids are 0-0-2 in home games so far this year. Last year they were 6-8-3 in home games. After the Dynamo game they next travel to Orlando on April 6.

The Dynamo are now 2-2-1 in their last five games in all competitions scoring 5 goals and allowing 6. Houston is 1-1-0 in road games overall so far this year with both of those in the CCL. Houston was 2-10-5 in road MLS games in 2018.

The Dynamo will next get a league bye and then host San Jose on Saturday, April 13, before traveling to LA Galaxy on Friday, April 19.

7seven7 repped this.
  7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Commerce City, CO on Saturday night.

At 7 pm MDT:

39F
    51% humidity
    wind 5 mph NE
    Partly Cloudy
    1% chance of precipitation

There is likely to be snow in the area overnight Friday into Saturday but that should end very early. Temps should drop only slightly, maybe to 35F, by the end of the game.

Local sunset is 7:22 pm.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So what you're saying is it will be perfect weather for Hondurans?

ElNaranja and *rey* repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei will cry like b^tch and Benny will hack everyone down. Love Timmy but I hope this Rapid team never sees glory.

Their midfield could pose us some real issues, especially if they run us and we gas out around the 70th mnt. Gonna keep my eyes on how well we own the ball and pressure their mids.

Very winnable game for us. So get ready for anything but.....

PS

Granola sucks!!

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    1 point minimum, but really need three points

Dynam0 repped this.
  12. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Nicely done on the road for the 3 points.

7seven7 repped this.
  13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Elis with another team of the week performance possibly

Memo taken off at halftime? Quioto not even making the trip?

I can see wanting to give Hairston time against his old club but unless Memo is hurt you should reward him by leaving him out a little longer.

With Memo in I just see more off the ball movement and resulting confusion in opposing defenses. I think teams are overplaying Manotas and Elis which opens it up to everyone else.

They next play two weaker teams that they have get points from because May will be murderers row Dallass Flounders Timbers DC

I am gonna wait until these games in May are done before I guess where this team ends up.

Colorado look bad and poorly coached

naranjableeder repped this.
  14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Quioto was recovering from a knock he suffered while playing for Honduras I think.

I don't know what Hudson was thinking. Elis isn't a world class player, but he's good enough that you have to gameplay against him. Same thing Dos Santos did with the Caps and Martino last year in the opening game.

Rapids look like basement dwellers, but we would have found a way to drop points in 17 and 18 against them, so good progress. True test comes once we hit the buzzsaw in May.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I don't understand teams that come out and push their fullbacks way up the pitch leaving their CBs isolated against Elis. The model for beating the Dynamo is pretty clear, and the last two opponents completely ignored it.

This team without Elis would be pretty dire, though.

Varus repped this.
  16. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think Memo was taken out due to his ankle knock

Serna is a terrible back

Struna is a MAN!

good to see VAR get the red card correct

Happy to see Ellis stay engaged and glad once we found something that worked, we stayed with it

Poo can stay home for the rest of the games IMO. we don't need him

looked like Colorado has worse attendance than we do

Good win. Expected win. Should be same result next week.

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I think Struna and Figeroa is a much, much better CB pairing than we had last year. If they are both playing, it makes up for a lot of other defensive frailties. Also, Memo starting rather than Quito does a lot more to protect Lundkvist. Vera also seems to cheat heavily to that side. Lundkvist, in particular, pushes so far up in attack and he's slow enough in recovery that he's toast whenever there is a turnover in midfield. Requires a lot of other defensive help to cover for him.

*rey*, Dynam0 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    man, what an awesome feeling to have an academy product finally do good. I've always said that our first Mexican star was going to be a hometown boy and not a multi-million dollar transfer signing.

hope Memo keeps this up. it'll be a great bat-signal to all the local Hispanic players that the Dynamo Academy is a viable pipeline to play pro ball.

The1Brak, CeltTexan and naranjableeder repped this.
  19. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memo is showing what I think a lot of us knew for a while... he is good! Watch his movement off the ball and the he is in the box to close. Had the own goal not happened, he would have scored a second, because he was crashing the goal. I feel this is where Manotas should be, but either way someone is there.

Funny what a tuned in Elis can do to game. These last two games has looked interested and has fire lit under him. My guess, he had a convo with the FO about wanting to leave and they told him to play like he should and they will sell him.

CeltTexan repped this.
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know if this team keeps progressing as a cohesive unit and keeps raising their play as they have done so far here in 2019, we might be on to something to not seen in years!
    I mean I watch our guys link up better and off the ball movement and I think WTF guys?!? Y'all are a solid team when y'all really want to hustle and work for each other. Bagging 4 goals on the road and the full 3 points is outstanding!
    And this kid Memo, what a gem it is nowadays to witness his growth. Like rey mentioned earlier, it is very pivotal in the growth of our crest to have local youth talent witness one of their own go through the ranks and do what Memo is now doing out on the field.

DALE DYNAMO SPORTS FANS!!!!

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't think it has anything to do with being tuned in necessarily. It's more in how the last two teams have played against the Dynamo versus other teams. Other teams were keeping it tight, going after Elis with 2-3 players defensively and making life difficult for him. Vancouver and Colorado push their fullbacks/wingbacks way up the pitch leaving Elis uncovered ,with tons of space to turn and run into and only the slow CBs between him and goal. Surprised both teams did that, wouldn't expect to see it each week.

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Before anyone gets too carried away, you can only beat the teams in front of you, but the 4 Dynamo opponents so far (5th with San Jose coming up) all suck. Montreal is the best of them, and they got crushed by SKC 7-1 this week.

There are clear positives in that they are taking points against crap teams, but they are still crap teams.

*rey* repped this.
  23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    mos def!

.....but in previous years Dynamo teams would've dropped points to these fools.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet our very own Houston Dynamo were a crap team in their own right there in November of 2018.
    So the turn around is significant.
    We ain't no crap team no mo'!!!

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, I don’t think we have any idea yet what we have with the 2019 Dynamo. But they are clearly on a path right now to be better than last year. Only time will tell if they stay on that path.