Colorado Rapids v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, July 1

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 28, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Channel surfing on a Saturday night! Is it worth it? Signs say no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    He is confused between some paper notion of players who should make an impact, and what is actually happening. Instead of running Sanchez out there to finish out the result same score -- what always happens while he hits these pretty balls no one is there to finish -- run out Memo, Holland, maybe one of these new signees, someone who doesn't have a track record of doing jack squat.

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think he thought it was going to be an airball night, which it was for a few minutes, but when it turned into a groundball game with defenders being beat, Willis is immobile and a horrible choice. On some of the goals like the chip he'd have been better off never moving.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    We're like Portland 2016. It's a gimmick. The 433 is great at home being the aggressor against road teams. It is crap trying to hold off a home offense and break down a packed in defense.

I don't think it sucks, it just only has so much going for it. And then we get on the road and back off a little on the aggression and try to be something we're not, without really staffing up a plan B. We either need to play the same exact way with maybe even more aggressive player choices, or we need to start an actual stalemate unit in a 451 and don't even pretend we're trying to attack. Right now we're far enough to the attacking end to expose the defense but not enough to keep up in the game.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #29 juvechelsea, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    That and I left out the part where he doesn't use his 3rd sub til garbage time. I assume based on patterns despite results he dislikes Holland for some reason, but if you have any desire to come back from 2 down you use all the subs with about 20 left if anything for fresh legs. If he had some intuition that it was gelling that's not what actually happened because we didn't score another goal. This is where I get into he's stubborn and has ideas in his head and they don't get reconciled with what really happens. Sanchez in theory could be our crosses and deadballs man late, but does it work? So try something else.

If he wants to insist on Sanchez he needs some 6' bench striker who can come in and get on the end of stuff. Otherwise Torres is going to score a cross once in a blue moon (and I know he did tonight, it's just premising a nightly sub on what happens once every few months is dense).

I like Holland obviously but that neither Memo nor Holland went in basically immediately with Sanchez once we went down 2 is out to lunch. The basic fact that the 11 he is relying on to come back are also the reason he is down 2 doesn't seem to occur to him.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    And the one that p*ssed me off as a former player was goal 2 where Leonardo quits chasing to the endline and then The Great Demarcus Beasley can't be bothered to stay with his man either. Worst part is I think they thought the play was going to be over which is an idiotic reason not to get back and do your job.

*rey* repped this.
  6. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley totally got burned on that second goal.

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I prefer Remick at this point

*rey* repped this.
  8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd really like to see more from Manotas on a consistent basis.

It was an easily winnable match, but players were sloppy besides Torres, and several chances squandered. This puts too much pressure on the defense when you're chasing a game. A stupid loss compounded by bad decision making in the back.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Part of why I felt so peeved how it went is that was a beatable Colorado team that is below the line and loses 30% of the time at home, and a twist or two different we could get a result from that. That was not Atlanta beating us senseless.

Colorado with how physical they played was destined to be a sloppy contest. For about 30 mins we seemed content to match physical with physical. We glitched and allowed the goal and came out more attacking late in the half on into the second. Got the equalizer. But then handed it right back because the game opened up and we couldn't stop their speed players. What probably needed to happen was back off and put in the legbreakers and play for the tie we had at halftime. I kind of think if you want to open it up get some more technical players in. He resisted that, they turned up the screws and started scoring and we remained sloppy. Even when we went down 3-1 he's still not subbing, he subs the first 9' later and the second basically in garbage time. Are we trying to win or are you sending a message to the FO or the kids they aren't good enough to risk?

Defense was poor in effectiveness but the coach is clueless on how to manage a game.

I'd like to see us optimize the offense but ERob's drooling aside the defense is flawed and so expensive it will be unfixable during the regular season. Leonardo and Beasley were glitching. I don't think that can be fixed at this stage so we might as well get some attacking players in, now, try to make the strength even stronger, then rebuild next season.

10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OBGs best days indeed appear to be behind him. Unfortunately it looks like he had his "best" days when he was new and no one had tape on him. He simply isn't the play maker that we saw the first year.

Cabezas is now officially my new touchstone. Congrats Cabezas, your new name is Lunch Meat. To use in a sentence---"When Cabezas plays, I can't tell the difference between him and a package of lunch meat".

Still wanting to believe the Manotas hype. Still not sold.

Cubo being on the floor all the time, pissing and moaning, is annoying. I know it's his heritage and all, but he needs to read about the boy who cried wolf.

PS

If we can't beat the worst team in the league on the road....who can we beat??

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    To answer your question, the Galaxy is the worst home team in the league, 1-4-3 home (5-3-1 away??). That was the one where we tied on the stoppage time equalizer that was offsides.

That was your gimmee.

The next crap home team would be DC on July 22. DC is 3-4-2 at home, struggling to score, massive negative GD. What you need to root for there is Honduras is out by the quarters because that's Gold Cup semi weekend. Not very likely because Honduras is bringing quite a few A teamers eg our guys.

Next game after that with a road chance is RSL August 5. Bad team, big GD, 4-4-1 at home.

Colorado is a poor team, yes, but they were a decent road test because they manage 6-3-1 at home. They are just similarly schizophrenic, no road points whatsoever from 7 games. The difference being incrementally cleaner/better home performance and 2 road points.

7seven7 repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a road game that had the opportunity, like with LAG, to finally witness our guys get a road win our guys instead mail it in for stretches and then just get roasted on the 3 goals.

We need the Gold Cup break to get our thoughts together.

C'MON GUYS! RODEO THE FUK UP!!!