Colorado - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    school website says 1pm Mountain time

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CU Soccer tweeted game has been moved to 1pm for TV purposes

3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Just want to make sure you all know that this UNC is not in Northern Colorado.
    Just kidding. Hoping for a good game. We promise no snow next weekend.

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great result for the Buffs today. I look forward to the UNC match. It's an interesting matchup...especially with the Buff back 4 playing as well as they are.

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No snow would be nice. It was COLD today.

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pac-12 playoff scores

Arizona 1, Oklahoma State 0 The Wildcats now travel to Texas A&M.

Stanford 5, Cal State Fullerton 2 Fullerton led 2-0 at halftime. Next they host Arkansas.

Washington 1, Rider 0 Rider had to travel from New Jersey. The Huskies now host either Kansas or Missouri, who play Sunday.

California 3, San Diego State 2, overtime Cal next plays the winner of Florida and Mercer, who play Sunday.

Washington State lost to Seattle 2-1.

UCLA 5, University of San Diego 0. Next the Bruins host Harvard.

USC lost at Pepperdine on penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie.

Arizona State 4, Northern Arizona 2. Now the Sun Devils travel to Kentucky.

Weren't there nine teams? Oh, yeah ... Colorado 2, BYU 0. The Buffs now travel to face #2 seed North Carolina. North Carolina warmed up with a 2-0 win over South Dakota State in a game that was not that close.

8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it was cold. Attendance was 624, which was very good for the conditions. The crowd was unusually vocal, which helped make up for the fact that clapping made almost no sound with mittens and gloves on.

BYU is ranked #15 and their RPI is 47. Eh? Having watched them three times on TV and once in the snow, I'd say that the 15 is WAY more accurate. The Cougars started out with a win, two ties, and three losses, not a good start in the RPI department. they then won 11 in a row, but it was an off year for Santa Clara and Portland, so all those wins didn't boost the RPI a lot. Then there was a 1-1 tie at St. Mary's, an RPI hiccup, shots were 31-4, corner kicks 12-1, shots on goal 11-1 but the one went in. Then at Pepperdine (ranked 11, RPI 13), BYU outshot the Waves 29-5 and lost 3-2. Probably didn't hurt the RPI but it was a chance to help it and they didn't. So in two matches, BYU outshot their opponent 60-9 and didn't win either of them. Their lower RPI gave us the home game.

So how good did BYU look in person? Very. They outshot us 20-10 which is about right since they had the ball about 2/3 of the time, and often had way too many players in our half of the field. But of our 10 shots, 9 were on goal. Their goalkeeper made a few leaping saves, but couldn't get all of them. Olivia's goal was just a great shot, over the goalkeeper and under the crossbar. The second goal came when Morgan drove to the end line (what was she doing that far up the field?) and sent a crossing pass that found Madi who took the shot, not a blast but it went where the goalkeeper wasn't.

Our makeshift defense, consisting of a forward, two midfielders and a defender, continues to be sturdy under pressure. BYU had five shots on goal in the first 35-37 minutes, then despite frequent possession didn't get their final three until very near the end and Kate handled all of them. That was 47+ minutes with no shots on goal.

So now comes #5 North Carolina. A tough assignment, but the team deserves to be there.

10. on the floor

on the floor Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Derbarkasmann - seems that Mr Sanchez has the team playing good soccer. I have a friends kid looking closely at Boulder. She is an International out of country kid - so we cant see many games except for highlights on the website. How many games did you watch this season describe the type of game they play. Where is the team going based on where things are at - and rate the program . It seems like its a real up and comer and on the brink of bigger success ? appreciate the help.

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does. He is a really good coach and so is his staff. He inherited a program in some distress and has certainly turned it around. Previously, his teams won two D-2 championships at Metro State, and he turned Wyoming from a mediocre program to a respectable one. This year I missed one home weekend and traveled to one away weekend, I also attend spring soccer. Alas, I'm just a fan who likes to write a bit, and for me to say "they play good soccer" is about as far as my knowledge of the sport goes. Last year the team upset its way to the Sweet 16, and this year finished third in the strongest conference in the country (there are those who will argue that, but this year the Pac-12 had the highest conference RPI despite one winless team and put nine teams into the playoffs). Last Friday we beat #15 BYU, although North Carolina this Friday will be a pretty big hurdle.

I think it is a very attractive program. So do some good players, we start five transfers and might be starting a sixth but for an injury. And I believe we have a top-ten incoming freshman class. UCLA and Stanford seem rather entrenched as elite teams, and I don't know if we can ever match their resources and reputation, but they will hear Colorado pounding on the door.

And there is a huge bonus ... the university itself, and Boulder. Nice place to spend four years. Coach Sanchez brought several Canadians and Australians to Wyoming, and the Buffs have two Australians on the roster. I strongly recommend that the young lady give the program and the university and the community a good hard look before she decides where to attend university and pursue her sport.

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Just want to be sure your team knows that the game Friday was changed to 9 pm Eastern instead of 7 pm and will be played at Wake Med Soccer Park in Cary instead of Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill.

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    prior post is just a UNC fan thinking a forfeit might be a good way to advance

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Ouch! I've seen better jokes.....

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Buff Sydney Carlson, who was a freshman last year and did not play, transferred to Seattle University. She started 2 games for the Redhawks this season and played in 19, and she made their only penalty kick in a 2-1 shootout loss to South Carolina just a few minutes ago. That was the match before ours, I don't know if that will delay the start of ours or not.

16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the entire roster made the trip. Good to see.

17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OVERTIME !!

0-0. ALL North Carolina. We've managed two shots, both at the goalkeeper and easy saves.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 North Carolina, 4:40 into the first overtime. A well-deserved win, they were by far the superior team. The only time we got the ball past midfield in overtime was the kickoff. Bigger, stronger, faster, better, etc. The Buffs defended like champions but anything resembling a sustained attack never materialized.

Great camera work by the ESPN crew, made the match a pleasure to watch, except for what was happening on the field.

OK, we're still a distance from the elite teams, but the program has made tremendous progress in the past three years. Although I'm just a fan, I kinda feel like a proud parent. Well done, Buffs. How many days to spring soccer?

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a winner !!

Washington 1, Missouri 0, one minute into overtime.

Arizona fell to Kentucky 3-1.

California fell to #2 seed Florida 3-1.

#1 seed Texas A&M is edging Arizona State 7-2 in the third quarter.

Stanford and UCLA play later.

20. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Spirited game by CO tonight! Good team defense for 95 minutes, and some alarming offensive pressure at times-- more than was evident from the shot tally. Nice game by Madison Krauser. I was really impressed by the CO keeper, Kate Scheele. She served up some very nice set pieces, showed a lot of distributional sophistication, and made a couple of outstanding high-pressure saves to keep the team in the game-- can't ask for much more than that!

You guys look like a very promising program-- congratulations on a good run this year, and best of luck in 2015!

21. socceronthego

socceronthego New Member

Aug 22, 2014

22. socceronthego

socceronthego New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Not sure what roster your are referring. There were five girls left behind for the North Carolina game and who were also forced to sit in stands during the BYU game. The NCAA rules are a bit degrading.

23. socceronthego

socceronthego New Member

Aug 22, 2014

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nikki Machalek and Ashley Love were in the line of players introduced. They did not make the trip to Las Vegas (I counted 22 players in the pre-game warmups) and each has appeared in only three games for minimal minutes, so when I saw them there I assumed that everyone had made the trip. That's why I said "It looks like ..." I did not count the number of players in line to compare it with the size of the roster.

I'm sure there are reasons for limiting the size of the travel roster, but making players sit in the stands at a home game sucks.

Ingoldsby repped this.