Colorado - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Jan 24, 2014.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Buffs host Air Force on March 7 in a spring game.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing day is tomorrow (Feb 5).

All three transfers are here and training with the team.

4. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six incoming freshmen join the three transfers already here.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3937&SPID=259&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209397652

Click on 2014 signee bios for the 2014 signee bios.

Have we found a replacement for Lizzy? Joss Orajel is a defender, six feet tall, and very talented. Sounds like Lizzy to me.

Courtney Fedor comes from the same club team as Brie Hooks. Jenna Reeves and Joss come from the same club team as Madi Krauser and Tori Cooper. And Brittney Stark comes to us from the same club team as Heather Ward.

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Speaking of next season, it seems the area where CU has the biggest question marks are on the back line and at keeper. The Buffs loose Annie B, Lizzy Herzl and Haley Hughes.

6. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Just have to get through 1 year in keeper position cause you have a great one coming in 2015!

7. pcsocker

pcsocker New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Club:
    Piacenza Calcio
    Kate Scheele, Goalkeeper
    5-8, Seattle, Wash. (Roosevelt)
    Club: Crossfire Premier ECNL
    Previous School: Colorado College

COACH SANCHEZ ON SCHEELE:
    “Kate will add great experience and depth to our goalkeeper competition next fall. She was first-team All-Conference USA and the Conference USA Tournament Defensive MVP as Colorado College won both the regular season and tournament championships in 2013. Kate played her club ball with Crossfire Premier out of Seattle. She is a great addition for the Buffs.”

ScotlandNW repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great one coming in 2014. Some of us have seen Kate Scheele play, and she is Really Good.

ScotlandNW repped this.
  11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spring soccer is upon us (almost).

Buffs vs Air Force, Friday at 7PM. I should know where but I don't which doesn't matter because I will be on the other side of Colorado on Friday. I'm guessing Kittredge Field, southeast corner of the main campus and behind the Coors Events Center. Or it could be in the practice bubble off Folsom just north of Folsom Field, especially if the weather doesn't smile upon us. Anyway, if anybody reading this will be at the game, please tell us about it. I'll be back home Sunday for Metro State.

I know, it's "only" spring soccer, but nobody plays like it's "only" anything. We have Division 2 teams on the schedule, but in past Springs they have given us fits. It took us three tries to defeat the School of Mines (two losses, 2-0 and 1-0). Fort Lewis tied us 1-1. Regis tied us 0-0. It took an amazing effort from a seldom-used player to defeat Metro State 3-2. It took an Annie Stuller free kick blast with one minute left to defeat Colorado Mesa 1-0. And yes, we also have a couple of big wins against D-2 teams, but the close matches outnumber them. The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference puts some good D-2 teams on the field every year.

We'll get to see three of the new transfers, and Kenzie Tillitt gets to show us what she can do in goal, she didn't get much playing time behind Annie Brunner, but the goal is hers all Spring.

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend:

Air Force is definitely in the practice bubble, Friday at 7PM.

Sunday at noon, the Metro State game is in Folsom Field !! Be sure to arrive early to get a seat.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was. It's not. Metro State is also in the practice bubble, Sunday at noon.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 3, Air Force 0 Goals:

Nikki Machalek, assist from Madi Hall, 61st minute.

Brie Hooks, assists from Brooke Rice and Tori Cooper, 71st minute.

Madi Krauser, assist from Brie Hooks, 77th minute.

That's all I know.

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 2, Metro State 1

Last minute goal from Darcy Jerman. We trailed 1-0 at the end of the second half, but fortunately there were three 30-minute halves. We came out on fire in the third half and discovered that

Metro State has a goalkeeper. I know, all teams do, but she put on a goalkeeping exhibition in the third period. We made life easier for her in the first 60 minutes by shooting right at her, or one step away. But in the first few minutes of the third period, she stole three or four from us. Not just good saves ... she stole goals. Finally with ten minutes left, Brie Hooks fired a hard high but on goal shot that the GK perhaps could have punched over the net but it looked like she tried to catch it and while she took away maybe 95% of the ball's velocity, the remaining 5% was enough for it to fall into the net. Then with time winding down we had an abundance or corner kicks that went over everybody's head but we kept corner kicking and with less than a minute left, Darcy corraled the ball in front of the net and shot it where the GK couldn't reach it. Bianca, pushing up from her defender position, assisted on both goals.

The game was nowhere near as close as the score, but we've all seen soccer games where one team has the ball the whole time and the other team wins, and for a while, it looked like this would be one of those.

Now we wait a month, for the Regis University Tournament on Saturday April 5 where we play Regis and Fort Lewis. Last time we played those two teams at Regis, both were ties.

16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Fort Lewis 0

Nikki Machalek, assist from Brooke Rice, towards the end of the second half. Next up is host Regis University.

More this evening.

Thefutbolcoach repped this.
  17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Regis 0

Massive abundance of possession in both games today. Against Fort Lewis, we put lots of shots on goal but right at the goalkeeper (we also did that against Metro State last month). Well into the second half, Brooke sent a perfect crossing pass into the penalty box and here came Nikki at full speed, and she put the ball where the goalkeeper wasn't. Heather headed the ball into the net in the first half, and apparently everybody present except me was able to figure out that the goal was disallowed, so while I thought Nikki's goal was an insurance goal, everybody else knew it was a game winner. Took me a while to find out. Kenzie made a save in the second half, and she may have had one in the first half also. Otherwise, she had a very quiet morning.

Regis tied Colorado College 0-0 in the morning, and it didn't take long this afternoon to see how they pitched a shutout at CC. Defense. We possessed and possessed and possessed and possessed, almost the entire game. Early in the first half, Brie found Darcy at the top of the penalty box and Darcy shot away from the goalkeeper and under the crossbar, and that was our goal for the afternoon, although Darcy also slammed a shot off the crossbar in the second half. There were two strong defenses on the field, ours kept Kenzie from having to make a save, and Regis' kept us from getting many shots near their goalkeeper.

If scoring were easy, teams would do more of it. I missed the Air Force game, but in the three I've seen, it seems like we had possession 90% of the time, and if it was less than that, 90% isn't off by much. Our midfield play has been strong and the defense stifling, but goals have not come easily.

Other scores today were (I think these are correct) (all 60 minute games)
    Colorado State 1, Colorado Mesa 0;
    Northern Colorado 3, Metro State 1;
    Colorado College 3, Fort Lewis 0;
    Metro State 2, Colorado Mesa 0; and
    Northern Colorado 2, Colorado State 0.

Fort Lewis graduated ten seniors off of last Fall's team, most of whom were starters including all of the defense. One thing they still have is good speed, but they expect this to be a rebuilding year. Northern Colorado also graduated ten seniors but they played well in both games today. Colorado State had an edge in play in the first half against UNC. The Bears came on strong in the second half, but good CSU defense and goalkeeping kept it scoreless until the GK did a boo-boo, then a few minutes later UNC scored on a perfectly placed corner kick for the 2-0 win.

Next Saturday we host New Mexico and Northern Colorado at Prentup Field. UNC hosts the School of Mines in a 90-minute match Saturday morning, then travels to Boulder to play us at 2PM. I get tired just thinking about that, and although we have two games also, we don't have to travel. And after playing us, New Mexico journeys down the turnpike to play at Denver. DU will be rested.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado College Fall Mountain West Conference Schedule

http://www.cctigers.com/schedule.aspx?path=WSOC

Finally CC is in a logical conference. Now if Denver could just get into the West Coast Conference ...

I'd post this to the CC forum cept there isn't one. TIGER PEOPLE !! Start a forum for your team !!

19. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    This incomplete schedule which only shows conference games was posted 3 weeks ago on the FALL SCHEDULE thread.

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so. I neglected to use the word "incomplete", but I did specify Mountain West Conference schedule, which I assumed would be recognized as incomplete and only showing conference games, as you correctly point out. It didn't occur to me that further clarification was necessary. I occasionally post information or news about other teams in the area, and I know at least a couple of people who appreciate it. But I did not credit you with the original post on the FALL SCHEDULE thread which I do follow and greatly appreciate (and is how I knew that Colorado College had already posted a schedule).

21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Under 17 World Cup in Costa Rica ...

... just ended, with Japan winning the final 2:0 over Spain. Highlight goals are here

http://de.fifa.com/u17womensworldcu...ex.html?intcmp=promo_u17womensworldcup_got_de (it's in German)

then click on ALLE TORE (all the goals) for the goals and some highlights of all the matches.

No USA highlights, we did not qualify. But our Under-20 team is in the World Cup in Canada in a couple of months.

22. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neighborhood Schedules (VERY incomplete):

Colorado College hosts Utah State 4PM Friday September 26.
    Air Force does the same thing at noon Sunday September 28.
    Wyoming visits Utah State at 3PM Friday October 3, and
    Colorado State does the same thing at 1PM Sunday October 5.

The above courtesy of the Utah State schedule posted by eefallen at 2014 Fall Schedules.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado College Neighborhood Matches (their schedule is now complete):

at Northern Colorado August 22, 7PM

home vs Denver August 24, 2PM

at Wyoming October 10, 3PM

at Colorado State October 12, Noon

home vs Air Force October 31, 3PM

The above courtesy of the Colorado College schedule posted by eefallen at 2014 Fall Schedules.

They play all the D1 teams in the neighborhood except one. Whither goeth the Colorado Cup?

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we play Denver on August 22 and Northern Colorado on August 24?

25. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, New Mexico 1

Buffs 3, Northern Colorado 0

Sorry this is a day late, been kind of an eventful weekend.

Saturday morning was a bit of a woulda coulda maybe shoulda, but New Mexico was a Most Worthy Opponent. Both games were three 30-minute halves. The first half was pretty evenly played, with Kenzie getting to do more in 15 minutes than she had all Spring. Bianca made several long runs up the right side which New Mexico did not do the best job of picking up, and with a minute left in the half she got herself and the ball very close to the end line and lobbed what I think was a shot and it appeared from a distance that the GK tipped it under the crossbar and in. The Buffs also bounced shots off the crossbar and the right goalpost. UNM cranked it up in the second half against what would be mostly reserves for the Buffs, the same goal made its third save of the morning, this one on them, and with about ten minutes left in the half they executed an approximately perfect corner kick to tie the game. The "starters" returned for the third half which began pretty evenly but soon became steady Buffalo pressure, occasionally relieved by a UNM counter-attack. The Lobos did have the ball the final minute and put a lot of pressure on but Kenzie handled everything that came her way. I said "maybe shoulda" because although we had an overall edge in play, especially in the first and third halves, New Mexico did put up a very strong defense and blocked a LOT of what we tried to do.

Meanwhile in Greeley, Northern Colorado lost to the School of Mines 3-0. I kept hearing the word "goalkeeper", apparently Mines has a good one. Turned out to be a long day for the Bears. In Boulder, UNC put a bit of a lid on the Buffs in the first half but could get very little going themselves. The Buffs came out strong in the second half and Madi Krauser (we have two Madis now) gathered up the ball about midfield and off she went towards the goal, ran through and around a few people, ran into traffic as she arrived at the penalty box, turned right and got open just enough to put the ball where the goalkeeper wasn't but the back of the net was. A few minutes later, somebody fed a pass to Darcy at the top of the penalty box, 2-0 Buffs. In the third half the CU defense put the finishing touches on a frustrating day for the Bears, meanwhile Brie got past her defender and got in 1 v 1 with the GK, this is not fair to a GK, 3-0 Buffs. The scoreboard showed no shots on goal for UNC, but Kenzie didn't just stand there picking dandelions (in part because there aren't any) so maybe there were a couple that they just didn't get credit for, this happens at Prentup Field.

After the game I walked my best friend (in her UNC sweatshirt) out to the middle of the field, got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. Coundn't think of anywhere, or in the presence of any other people, that I wanted to do it more than right then and there. She said yes.

Eventful weekend.