Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea he is def going to get fired. Haha in fox sports they had a discussion before the cup basically going if he won the gold cup and the confederation cup they wanted him fired

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

No lo van a echar una semana antes de la copa Oro. La verdad no se que valor real tiene la copa Confederaciones, mas alla de llenar de plata a la FIFA. La obligacion ahora es ganar claramente la copa y pues el camino lo tiene bastante facil, al menos en la fase de grupos.

Vuelvo al mismo razonamiento sobre Osorio: Sus equipos juegan bien, pero no son nada extraordinario. Mexico seguramente va a ganar la copa Oro, clasificara primero de Concacaf al mundial y hasta saldra de la fase de grupos. Pero eso es lo normal para Mexico. Lo mismo que en la confederaciones, le gano a Nueva Zelandia y a Rusia, empato una vez con Portugal, perdio otro partido con los lusos y cayo contra Alemania. O sea, Osorio no hace a sus equipos mas de lo que podrian ser, no juegan mal, pero tampoco son extraordinarios. Y esa vaina de las rotaciones...... ugh...

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Question for everyone here. Would Colombia have done better against Chile, Portugal and Germany? I mean I think our roster is much better then Mexicos but you think we would have beat those 3 teams?

I'd love to think we'd beat Chile in a hard fought match and whip the floor with Portugal but even tho I am super optimistic and want us to win every cup we ever play in. I don't see us beating Germany other then in PKs or a miracle own goal

Furnaccio repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We almost defeated chile in santiago in 2016...and in the last match we were the real dominators in barranquilla.

Portugal isnt so solid we can defeat them...as mexico was very near.

As i said this Germany (the confederations one) didnt face an important opponent in this cup (favorite to win the cup)....so i dont know the real level of them....defear mexico, australia and cameroon isnt the big deal....as well as chile only defeated cmaeroon in this cup

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great question: In the Confed cup if we would have played each team:

**Cameroon, Australia, Russia, New Zealand, Mexico (both lineups they used) - Win

**Chile - Win but a dogfight (Our team has been improving gradually since the last two times we faced them; Chile has been playing to their full potential)

**Portugal - Draw (their defense is traditionally strong and scrappy and they heavily rely on Cr7 - I've been wanting Colombia to face them in a friendly for quite sometime. i'm surprised it hasn't happened with all the Colombians that have playing in Portugal the past several years); Portugal is similar to us in many aspects where they are good in keeping the score low

**Germany - Loss (I'll play devil's advocate on this. The Germans are more organized with their ball movement than us and would catch Arias/Fabra out of position for a goal opportunity. This German team had a tendency to put on the breaks and allow the opposing teams back into the game, but they were good at quickly retaliating with a goal. Also, their ability to score quickly early in a game would be a huge concern; but i think we would be able to hang and not let the game out of hand the way the Mexicans lost.

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Alemania en la euro que fue cuando lo probaron con rivales de alto nivel se vio con falencias.

Contra chile en ambos partidos lo vi debil y susceptible. Chile fallo muchas oportunidades .

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hay que tener en cuenta que este equipo no es la titular plena. En la Euro, ellos solitos se complicaron contra Italia, y contra Francia dominaron pero no concretaron. Pero de acuerdo, tampoco es la maquina arrasadora que nos quieren hacer ver en la prensa.

8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Eso si el merito de aleamnia es la importancia que toma partidos en TORNEOS OFICIALES.

Amistiosos pierde hasta con inglaterra y empata con dinamarca. No es que sean maturanezcos

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    O Boligliescos...

10. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Chile is superior than Germany, If we follow your logic that we can beat Chile then we can beat Germany.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think, looking at football pure skills, we have more skills and talent than Chile but they're a better team right now. I also think that "knowing how to win" is a quality that some teams have but definitely can be learned. Chile is getting there, Germany knows winning. Colombia is way below both of them in their mental strength, but way above what it was 7 years ago.

Furnaccio repped this.
  12. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Which is my main argument, where Colombia fails, is not necessarily the tacticall aspect or organization; which btw I feel like in South America, Chile is by the most tactical/organized team; due to their long process since Bielsa's years... Chile is being successful now due to the Copa America win which makes them a team that will know how to play finales to big teams.

dapip repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chile has strengths we do not have. The main ones in my mind being an attacking mentality and tactics that press the other team into mistakes that they make pay (for the most part.) Their starters have a chemistry that is second to none.

We have more depth though. We also may be more hungry to win since we have not won anything yet. We also have young stars /relatively young stars in the making. Chile were the oldest team in the Confederations Cup and are not getting any younger.

IT will be interesting to see who goes farther in Russia assuming we both get there.

14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ^^ This

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chile's core has been together for 3 WC cycles. Their last 4 coaches (all Argentinian) have used similar tactics. And their core players form a very strong spine for the rest of the squad. That is why they work so well as a team.

The issue for them, is that after 2018, Bravo, Vidal, Medel, Jara an Beaseujeur would be entering the twilight years of their careers, and other than Alexis, they don't have other good players to build around for 2022.

Colombia's core has been together for much less and it has had problems replacing not only the specific skills of Yepes, but his leadership. We have also had a lot of issues with our other defenders and finding a striker. But everything seems to be falling in place for the final stretch on our way to Russia. And we probably have a stronger crop of youngsters to mold for 2022.

ryu79 and Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't normally subscribe to the "If we can beat A, and A is better than B, then we can beat B as well"

Germany scored the early goal on Chile and didn't have to do anything else beyond that. This German team had a tendency to ease up after scoring goals, and if an opponent scored, then Germany would quickly bounce back. Look at each of their games and see how quickly Germany would retaliate with another goal when their opponent scored...

If the game were 0-0 the majority of the game, i think we would have seen a different style of play from Germany.

i like CRZD's question of where we would have stacked up against other teams. As I previously stated, Chile has pretty much been playing to their full potential for quite some time; Colombia's team today is different from 2015 CA, 2016 CA and 2016 WCQ's. Our team still has plenty of room for improvement from a mental aspect and from an on-field performance - which is why I like our chances as we approach Russia...

17. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That actually goes like if we beat A and A beat B then we deff are beating B which is a comical saying

But in this case Germany beat Chile. I just think that from what chile showed on that game, Chile is superior.

Also that notion of "if we can beat" is more than a given in my opinion technically we have a strong enough team and the tools to beat anyone and won't be a huge surprise...

pepinointer repped this.
  18. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You make it sound like Germany had the game under control, I saw Chile on top of them creating real danger and their goalie saving them. I think the stars back me up on that

9 corners from Chile vs 4 from Germany
    22 shots(8 on goal) from Chile vs
    8 shots (3 on goal) from Germany

pepinointer repped this.
  19. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i will repeat what i just posted.....if Germany didn't score that early goal, the style of play from Germany would have been different in my opinion. your opinion may be different. which is fine. i did notsay one way or another about Germany having the game under control. I did highlight the fact that throughout the tournament Germany was quick to retaliate with a goal anytime an opponent scored

Chile needed a first goal a helluva lot more than Germany needed a 2nd goal which is why the 22 shots vs 8 shots does not tell me much. Side Question: What do you think about 3 shots on goal out of 8 shots vs 8 shots on goal out of 22 shots?

i think you're going on a tangent from what CRZD asked. How do you think Colombia's current squad would have fared against Chile or Germany in this particular tournament? Me - i think we could beat Chile - for the reasons i previously stated; Germany - No, for the reasons i previously stated.

20. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You are trying to suggest that Germany stayed back after scoring a goal, if they didn't scored a goal they will increase the pressure making this a whole different game than what we saw.

When you stay back that means that you try to control the game, wait until the other team pushes their lines and with a quick counter score on them... Germany is known to do that

They suffered and a lot against Chile (that's what the shots on goal tell you) because they didn't had the game under control and if they didn't score that goal Chile would actually have more spaces to punish them

Is hard to predict honestly because we are talking about 3 really good teams, it could go either way, I do see Colombia as the weaker team because of the mentality issues and these kind of games what you need the most is mental strenght.

21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it's not that hard to predict. you can choose Win, Lose or Draw against each of those teams. Don't worry I won't hold it against you (can't speak on behalf of others) 6 months or a year from now. It's a simple theoretical/fun discussion to have among us fans....

22. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol is not that, Is just that I just see very close games that could go either way.

23. JudeCaso10

JudeCaso10 Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The only way we beat the big teams is if we man up. It's as simple as going for the kill or being 2nd best.

krass, crzdcolombian and Furnaccio repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Kickoff times have been announced for the next round of qualifiers.
    Venezuela has decided to play us at 4:00PM Colombian time.
    Very odd start time for them. They usually play night games at home.